Beatles Capitol Albums...Actually Pretty Good??!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by batdude98, Jul 2, 2021.

1. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm making my own custom Capitol albums volume 3, which includes Magical Mystery Tour in the American LP configuration, and it'll be my first time listening to it for about 8 years I think?

DK Pete, fmfxray373 and Aftermath like this.
  2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

You're making a physical box with cardboard sleeves? That would be pretty cool. There's always Dr. E. CDs to complete the job.

3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Anyway, those 10 albums in 2.5 years in America, and then in the next 3 years Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Abbey Road!!
    That is almost unbelievable. I wish I had been old enough to remember living through this!

4. batdude98

Digital only I'm afraid...

And yes, I have solicited the good Dr.'s assistance for the proper US tapes, haha.

5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I sometimes am guilty of being overly excited about America lol. Americans tend to think we are at the center of the universe at times.

6. batdude98

I also find it fascinating and funny that the Beatles are nearly the only artist for whom I see alternate versions from other countries/reshufflings/tape changes so hotly debated and contested and loved; certainly a hallmark of their enduring cultural legacy.

And yes, I know about the legendary UK vs. US with the Stones (@lukpac ), but that hurts my brain too much to think about...

My favorite Ol' Blue Eyes had the same happen in reverse for his first two 10" LPs, expanded with singles, reverbed, etc., and I basically pretend they don't exist -- I wonder if there are English Sinatraphiles who prefer the 1960 LP versions?

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I look at them all-the UK’s and the American-as great, fun alternates if one another, regardless which of the two groups is the “definitive”. Simple as that.

8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I agree with all that. They are handy to keep Beatles listening sessions fresh every now and then. I even have both the Capitol boxes and the 2014 set because they offer different experiences. I love that 2014 mono Second Album, or the 2004 stereo Something New for those AHDN tracks.

And their historical importance (whether they were necessary or not) is undeniable. Millions of people grew up with them and love them, and that's something to respect.

Now, if someone argue they are equal to the original discography of the band, or that dexterization and duophonics are sonic delights, or that the cover of Beatles VI is a work of art, or that US Rubber Soul was an intentionally desiged folk album... I'll debate them "till the cows come home" :laugh:

9. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

You misunderstood. I was talking about the Capitol compilation LP that had "Can't Buy Me Love" on it.

10. A well respected man

Oops, sorry. If you mean Hey Jude, everything there is true stereo.

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Whew! Thank goodness Dave Dexter was there to assist George Martin or who knows where those poor kids might have ended up..... :nyah:

Michael, forthlin, Pete Puma and 4 others like this.
  12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I prefer the Stereo With the Beatles tracks from the Capitol boxes. The cases where they used judicious reverb, not where it's slathered on to falsely create Stereo.

DK Pete likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Beethoven is a great example if this; the UK, dry version has a cool rawness to it but the reverberated version on The Second Album has more of a “live” excitement.

14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Capitol Canada liked 'Roll Over Beethoven' so much they released it three times in six months! It's on the Beatlemania With The Beatles album; as a 1963 single (backed by 'Please Mr. Postman'); and on the Beatles' third Canadian album, Long Tall Sally (April, 1964), where it was hyped as a 'New Recording' on the back cover. Very odd. 'Canadian Album Production, Paul White'. Did White notice that four of the songs on LTS were already released on the Beatlemania! album, including the 'New Recording' of 'Roll Over Beethoven', which had already been a 1963 single? I guess it didn't matter, when there were profits at stake. Does it really matter what's on the new album? White should have gotten George Martin to send him four fresh Beatles songs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I had just turned six when I drooled over The Beatles for the first time that first night on the Sullivan show. No one in my house liked them so the closest I got to "being there' was seeing their album releases showcased in record stores window displays. I didn't really begin to experience their releases in conscious real time till the release of the Hello Goodbye single.

boggs and A well respected man like this.
  16. I pretty much share this opinion, but I don't think Second Album cover is "good" -its better than some, but only "fair". the Capitol Help! has better graphics than the UK version, but I still wish they omitted the song listing at the bottom (I know -its what Capitol did with all their album covers). The Butcher cover is pretty cool, the trunk cover is just a snooze.

17. A well respected man

Was the sound of the show "dexterized"? :D

DK Pete likes this.
  18. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

Actually, 4 times! They also released the EP, "Four by the Beatles" which also contained the song. This was the first and only Beatles EP issued in Canada. It did not sell well in Canada probably since these songs were previously issued as singles and could also be found on the earlier LPs.

Library Eye, notesfrom and DK Pete like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You’re making me think of that night, that time…..how no one had any conception of any of that stuff. All that mattered was these four little guys in the television tube singing their little songs and looking like the coolest thing ever. Simply a great night on Sunday night television…Who in their right mind watching at that moment in time would even begin considering that we’d be talking about it, analyzing it, arguing about it sixty years later.

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I love the trunk cover; juuuuust sayin’….

21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I bought this one awhile back but hadn't bothered to spin it til your post prompted me to look at it... a Rainbow reish... didn't realize it was was the mono jacket but stereo labels on LP - and the tracks themselves are a mix of mono and stereo... weird one...

Library Eye and notesfrom like this.
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The Capitol version of the Help! album certainly has more graphics than the Parlophone version, but sometimes less is more.

[​IMG]

The Parlophone version, on the other hand, has an elegant simplicity:

[​IMG]

The lamination also helps it stay pristine white for as long as you want it to. :)

23. A well respected man

That was my point, the success of The Beatles was their music, their image and personality.

You are so lucky to have lived through all that in first person. When I was born they weren't even a band anymore.

Library Eye and DK Pete like this.
  24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Yeah, I was looking at Discogs and it wasn’t really clear whether there was a separate release for both stereo and mono for the mid- and late-70s reissues of that title. I guess the first of the Canadian titled LPs had been released in strictly mono.

YardByrd likes this.
  25. A well respected man

And why were the boys in black and white? :confused:

NumberEight, vinnie, forthlin and 2 others like this.