Beatles’ Carnival of Light: Exaggerated myth of greatness?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gill-man, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Yeah him saying "the time has come for it to get its moment" is NOT him saying he wants it to be released. :crazy:

Its not like I ever said he promised a release/gave a release date - since he couldn't do that without the others' permission. I said he says he wants to release it. He teases with it - whenever it suits him to do so.

Does anyone reading this (aside from MPLRecords of course) actually believe that Paul saying "the time has come for it to get its moment" is not evidence (ie Paul saying) that Paul wants it to be released?

It certainly can't be construed as evidence that he doesn't want to release it, can it?

Nor can it mean "whatever I don't care either way" can it?

2. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

You said Paul drags these out to promote solo releases. Evidence suggests otherwise.
    You said Paul brings these up. Evidence suggests otherwise.
    You said Paul teases their release to drum up interest. Evidence suggests otherwise, and you're staking your claim on one quote where he doesn't come right out and say that.

At a certain point don't you realize you were mistaken and that actual fact goes against what you've said? How much longer are you gonna drag this out? Hell, you already admitted to not keeping up with the guy, so how would you have known anything about what he has or hasn't said to the press in that time when you first made these claims?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. MPLRecords

Here's something to ponder: When does "Carnival of Light" start being referred to by that name?

In the introductory interview to The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Lewisohn asks McCartney about it, and says this: "In very early 1967, when you were doing `Penny Lane', you made a 14-minute, very bizarre recording of effects and noises for a `Carnival of Light' at the Roundhouse..." That's not addressing it by any name, as the 'Carnival of Light' refers to the event itself.
    Later on in the book, Lewisohn does the same thing:
    "...the Beatles set to work on the session's main task: preparing a sound effects tape for a 'Carnival of Light', being held at the Roundhouse Theatre, London, later in the month." and refers to it as "Untitled" [take 1].

In 1988 the guy who had access to The Beatles' recorded library wasn't calling it "Carnival of Light" and yet in 2019 nobody would call it anything else. Where does the change happen?

4. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

..and in none of those posts you just quoted of mine did I state that he promised anything (only that he wants to release it):

1 - he says he wants to release it
    2 - intends to "someday" release
    3 - wants/intends to release them
    4 - If he says he intends to release them when he knows he can't because the others are blocking the release - what would you call that?

Nope - none of those are claims on my part that he promises to release anything - only that he "wants to"

When are you going to admit you're wrong about me claiming that he promised anything. He mentions it when it suits him. He teases with it. How do I know? It would have been out by now if it had any hope of being released.

Why is whether he offers it or is asked matter so much to you? He could just say when asked "Well the others don't want it out so that's that" - which would be the honest thing to say.

Another thing I claimed is that COL and/or N&T often end up as a headline in articles that mentions them. I proved it and then you complained that the headline didn't quote Paul directly when it said that Paul "will" release it. That's irrelevant as to whether COL ended up in the headline. It unquestionably did! Its clickbait to get people to read the article. That helps both the media outlet publishing it as well as Paul. If he were to be totally honest and say "No its definitely not happening since the others say no" do you really believe that would get a headline? It might not even merit an article at all - announcing what is definitely 100% NOT getting released.

5. MPLRecords

Once again, we go around in circles as you move the goalposts from "Paul said xxxxxxx" to "but it was in the headline!". You obviously have problems with facts. I made a mistake once by continuing to respond to this nonsense after I said I would stop, and I won't be doing that again.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yes we could! And probably will!

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

You're very correct in bringing this up. Even Giles now has referred to it as "Carnival of Light." But if the track is ever released, there's a possibility it could be listed as "Untitled Sound Effects Session" or something like that since it doesn't seem like "Carnival of Light" was listed on the tape at the session.

Lewisboogie and MPLRecords like this.
  8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I was originally encouraged when the 1963 Bootleg Compilation was released, thinking that we'd get a full set of legitimate counterparts to Ultra Rare Trax and Unsurpassed Masters. Unfortunately (as has always been the case with The Fabs), I found myself let down yet again.

As for the 27 minute version of Helter Skelter, once I heard the 12 minute version I found myself quickly cured of that notion. Instead of 12 minutes of finger-blistering insanity, we got a pondering blues jam that was little more than the musical equivalent of a bottle of Quaaludes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  9. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

So, then -- how can we really be certain that it hasn't been released?

:whistle:

10. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

They should play it while people are waiting for Beatles Love to start in Vegas. Hell, they probably did a night or two, just to do it lol.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Lewisohn wasn't describing a scintillating jam. He described it as a long workout being recorded with tape echo and some funny reactions from McCartney not the sort of thing you'd put on a linear program that folks would listen to all the way through over and over. Just put another CD in there full off odds and sods or put it in a program on the Blu ray. Not everything in anthology was new or brilliant...not every outtake was jump out of your seat exciting. Hopefully outtakes take us inside the process and let us hear ideas in development.

If they can put out Christmas records for 100 bucks they can put Carnival of Light somewhere..somewhere we can hear it if only once.

Lewisboogie and Lazerize like this.
  12. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Carnival of light/What a shame Mary Jame had a pain at the party

Double A side hit!!!!!

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  13. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

14. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The description only makes me want to hear it more! So once again, Paul was the first - to explore dissonance and the avant- garde in a random sound collage. Funny that John never gave him credit for that and leading the way for his John and Yoko albums and Revolution # 9.

16. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

No one ever talks about this track, but I suspect that it's much better than Carnival of Light:

sallymae_hogsby and marmalade166 like this.
  17. HeyBullfrog

HeyBullfrog Friend of the Forum

^This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.