Beatles’ Carnival of Light: Exaggerated myth of greatness?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gill-man, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I don't think Carnival of Light will be great, or even good. It will probably be barely listenable, just for curiosity's sake.

But it MIGHT be better than:

[​IMG] ;)

2. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

If it is the Harrison Estate that's the main blocker in letting "COL" come out then it is a tad hypocritical that they've let "Electronic Sound" get reissued a couple of times......

Usagi75 and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Liverpool Sound Collage is great. “Free Now,” especially, is a track I play often. Wish he made more like this.

Do we know that the Beatle kids have even heard the song? I’d say it’s more likely that no one other than Dani or James has.

This makes me want to hear it more.:agree:

vince likes this.
  4. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I’m waiting for the dance mix.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I doubt many expect greatness, they just want to hear it.

bpmd1962 and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. Good luck with that.

7. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

I think it's interesting only in a historical, critical context. I don't think anyone expects it to be as pleasant a listening experience as "Revolution 9", which was meticulously curated and methodically assembled by John, Yoko, George, and George.

I think it'll only come out if both (a) Paul decides it's important to his legacy to establish that he was doing musique concrete in early '67 and (b) the Beatles estate comes to an agreement as to how it can be released without tarnishing their commercial legacy.

I think that as the Beatles continue to remain "high canon" of pop, Paul becomes more assertive about his legacy, and it gets easier to quietly release tracks in a vacuum, that gets more and more possible. Maybe one day it'll show up on SoundCloud without any fanfare.

If it comes out, I'd skip around through it once, unless I'm truly bored, then wait for some good music critics to break it down so I can read about how it was built and what it was influenced by. That's the part I'm interested in.

8. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I'd be astounded if Stella and her friends haven't.

9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

In a word: curiosity

stevenson66g likes this.
  10. tug_of_war

THIS :righton:

MPLRecords likes this.
  11. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Imagine the disappointment if it turns out that Macca changed the title to "Rupert and the Frog Song' and released it in an otherwise identical arrangement.

12. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Some day.

13. erifles

erifles Well-Known Member

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Imagine the RELIEF if it turns out that Macca changed the title to "Rupert and the Frog Song' and released it in an otherwise identical arrangement. ;)

15. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I'm a Beatles fan and I had never heard of it until I found this forum.

Per the description of it.... I'm not interested in it.

so sue me....

16. tug_of_war

17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I don't think there's anyone who thinks it'll be great or some lost masterpiece. Some fans just want to hear it because it's been withheld from us despite two solid chances at getting it (Anthology 2 and Pepper50). It's basic supply and demand. Scarcity boosts interest.

My other theory to explain the interest is its very description, and how different it sounds from any other recordings in the Beatles canon (except for the Run-Out Groove from Pepper, and some aspects of Revolution 9). Being that it is a unique recording, it raises some eyebrows and interest level. Like, if those who had heard it described it as a basic three-chord McCartney ballad that just wasn't very good or melodic or memorable, then I think there'd be less interest in hearing it. It would rightfully be considered a throw-away that was demoed and then, ahem, thrown away. But reading that it's the Beatles banging about, shouting and saying weird things and making strange sounds into mics kind of gets people's attention in a "What the heck? What's that about?" sort of way.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Lost In The Flood and Usagi75 like this.
  18. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

No, Carnival Of Light is important because it *was heard* in public and with the Beatles blessing several times on two occasions. That is why is is historically important. All four Beatles created this music and agreed to have it played to an audience of their peers.

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

It is nothing like Liverpool Sound Collage.

No tape loops on Carnival of Light.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    stevenson66g, zobalob and Lewisboogie like this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Bip Bop demo: Exaggerated myth of greatness?

21. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Before it was released I was convinced What's the New Mary Jane would be life changing. I have less hope for Carnival.

TheWalrusWasPaul likes this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

John Lennon shouting "Barcelona" and other gobbledy-gook immediately qualifies CoL as better than the humorless doodling of Electronic Sound.

stevenson66g and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Discussing CoL is great, but I think at this point the OP's question has been decisively commented on. Nobody is hyping up CoL to be some kind of revelation. But it's one of the few as-yet-unheard pieces in the Beatles' recording career, it's of interest because of that. I'd love to hear it, but no one I've ever heard of is expecting it to be particularly great. There is no exaggerated myth of greatness. There is only great interest in it among fans; there's a difference.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And better still, it might even be written by the person who takes the writing credit.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Ba-BOOOM!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.