Beatles "Carnival of Light" Who has heard it?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian999, Apr 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I think it is going to be massively disappointing to the vast majority of Beatles fans. It is a sound collage, not a song proper. It is meant to be heard in the background of a crowded event, not analyzed through headphones (as thousands of Beatleheads will surely do.)

Now I’m sure there will be a decent amount of fans who dig it—the same fans that also listen to a lot of Pierre Henry, Karlheinz Stockhausen, John Cage, Steve Reich, and the like.

Heckto35, mw1917, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The Beatles getting a bad review in 1967 -- while they are in the midst of being popular developing artists -- is a lot different 30 years after the fact when they're established as one of the greatest phenomenons of the 20th century.

The Beatles were the biggest selling artists in 1996 -- a dead band essentially peddling old sketches dug out of the closet. That's the stature these guys had 25 years after breaking up.

In 1967, they were an immensely popular band, but nothing was a lock. The future was still about the art, not the legacy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    ARK, Sean, marklamb and 1 other person like this.
  3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Can I say that what I was told I was hearing was a recording someone made of it when it was originally played? As noted, it may've been some kind of fan fraud but the fidelity was bad and you had to kind of imagine what it might've sounded like at the time. I didn't detect a beginning or an end, and it was a fairly long.

4. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I think the fact that everyone who heard it at the time were "comprehensively underwhelmed," probably says all we need to know about it.

5. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

In 1968, Revolution #9 was released because Lennon considered it very serious and demanded that it be put on the album -- its form was secondary

In 1967, McCartney considered Carnival of Light a one-off throwaway -- He never considered it a serious piece to be included on any Beatles album or ever part of the Beatles "brand" even though all the Beatles are all over it.

In 2020, this piece, song, collage, noise, etc. has taken on a historical aspect because it features all four Beatles being everything but Beatles, as it were.

I compare this situation to "12-Bar Original" -- those who heard before it showed up on the bootlegs said it was lousy, but it did pique the interest of many BeatlesGeeks because it featured the Beatles engaging in something far afield from what ended up on Rubber Soul. Most of us, after hearing it, don't consider it top-line Beatles product, but it was still interesting. Essentially, we're still glad we had the chance to hear it, buy it, judge it, and talk about how we don't like it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    ODIrony, Sean, applejam101 and 7 others like this.
  6. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

How dare you besmirch the brilliance of 12 Bar Original ;)

7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

That's precisely what I think since I first heard of the existence of Carnival Of Light. Can't agree more.

As for it having anything to do with Tomorrow Never Knows, I disagree. TNK is a song. COL isn't, as far as everyone knows...

8. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I know a lot of people on this forum like owning things - but what if it were released but essential unownable?
    Wouldn't that be interesting?
    One vinyl copy at, I don't know, 10 million dollars.
    Ultimately it would leak, we would all finally hear it - but none of us would own it.
    Would that be satisfying? The story would remain interesting, and the quality of the jam/collage/whatever wouldn't really matter much.

9. Gio Mio

Gio Mio Forum Resident

There are 7 levels of invisible sound on COL. That’s why no one remembers it.

ODIrony and tug_of_war like this.
  10. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Good album title.

11. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

What’s interesting to me is that there is another documented unreleased track from the Sgt. Pepper sessions, which is mentioned in the Complete Sessions book: “Drum Track" - recorded 22nd February 1967, 22:10 long. You never seem to hear this one mentioned! I guess we assume it’s just Ringo jamming for 22 minutes?

caravan70, ODIrony, Sean and 4 others like this.
  12. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I must say I'm rather tired of people getting excited about Carnival of Light. McCartney seems to talk about it when he's promoting something, and because he doesn't get the same attention he used to, he knows he can generate some excitement by throwing in some tantalizing Beatles info. Example, he's aware that people aren't all that excited about his new solo album, so he says "...and we're thinking of releasing Carnival of Light..." and there is instant biting at this fake lure. Paul, if you are reading this, just release it or stop talking rubbish. If it was something you created without any other Beatle input, then release it under you own name.

I have no doubt that Carnival is a failed attempt at a noise collage, and would be generally unlistenable. There is a reason why it hasn't been released officially. Would I be interested to hear it - of course. But let's recognise it for what it is. Put out the long Helter Skelter as a Beatles single, and fill the rest of the space with Carnival. It will sell lots of copies.

Heckto35, Sean, PIGGIES and 3 others like this.
  13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Possibly. But who has access to a copy to be able to release a public domain version? A lot of the public domain releases are needle-drops of previously released LPs.

14. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Maybe they're saving it to play for when the aliens land.

15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

"Noise Collage". Well put......something at a Pink Floyd rave party.

16. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I absolutely despise Mary Jane. You Know My Name is campier and just fun.

ODIrony, Sean, jtiner and 5 others like this.
  17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I don’t expect much from “Carnival of Light” but I’d like to hear it.
    I’m sure it’s “musical” junk, but because it’s the Beatles I have an interest in it.
    I can understand the folks that have no interest in a sound collage or whatever we want to call it though .

What makes it slightly more interesting for me is that Paul said in 2004 “the time has come for it to get its moment. I like it because it’s the Beatles free, going off -piste” and Giles Martin expressed hope in “do(ing) something interesting” with the track in the future.

I can’t believe both of them would have even slightly positive thoughts about the track if it’s a totally embarrassing mess without a hint of anything interesting about it.

Eska68, OobuJoobu, Tord and 4 others like this.
  18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I have always thought that large chunks of Carnival of Light, including a Barcelona or two, are included in the Liverpool Sound Collage that Paul produced and worked on in 2000 with Youth and Super Furry Animals. Paul and the other Beatles are credited, and his voice, as well as John’s and George’s, are heard throughout. Hard to know where COL ends and the work done in 200o begins, but I think it’s right there.

19. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

They should have figured out how to incorporate a segment of it into the Cirque du Soleil presentation without drawing specific attention to its origins. That mighta worked...

20. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’m pretty sure this was debunked the last time we discussed “CoL.” He maybe mentioned it once in conjunction with a new solo release.

coco77, maywitch and Tord like this.
  21. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’ve wondered this as well, and now we know where the “Free Now” bit comes from. Also, George’s chatter comes from “Think for Yourself.” So what parts are left that *might come from CoL?

I absolutely love “Free Now” — I wish he’d given it a spot on Pure McCartney.

Dodoz, marklamb and coco77 like this.
  22. Brian999

Brian999 SLY Thread Starter

What a shame..

Isamet and tug_of_war like this.
  23. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

Wasn’t some of it in Plastic Beatle?

Bill likes this.
  24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Are we talking about the "gotta be free now" vocal? That comes from the end of "Sgt. Pepper...". I think it's heard on the super deluxe box set outtake.

Edit: I may have been reading your post wrong. Just confirming for future folks that it's from "Sgt. Pepper."

25. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Yes, exactly. The ad lib at the end of “Sgt. Pepper.” Makes me happy every time I hear it.

gja586, tug_of_war and cwitt1980 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.