Beatles "Carnival of Light" Who has heard it?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian999, Apr 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is the only "Carnival of Light" I've ever listened to...It's out there, it's official, and nowhere near as experimental as the Beatles one is supposed to be.

As was said, the Anthology would have been a good vehicle for it, if anything, as a ghost track, a 1-track bonus CD à la "Fly on the wall" for "Let it Be...Naked".

It will be disappointing to most, but heck, we KNOW it's not a proper Beatles song and we've listened to Unfinished Music.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

According to Lewisohn, the tape box only listed the song as "UNTITLED". The song was never called "Carnival Of Light" by the Beatles nor the EMI studio.

Ken Wood, ODIrony, factory44 and 4 others like this.
  3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Wow, really? Where does the title come from then?

4. Arnold Grove

The event (held twice) at the Roundhouse theater was officially known as "The Million Volt Light and Sound Rave". I guess that was too much of a mouthful, so some people just called it "The Carnival of Light Rave".

[​IMG] [​IMG]

caravan70, davenav, BEAThoven and 2 others like this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

To quote Yoda:
    "There is another......"

caravan70 and Dodoz like this.
  6. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yes, and we all know Revolution 9 was supposed to be "fun."

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Many fans could argue that should be the title of any upcoming package featuring any tracks recorded at Twickenham in January 1969.

I've heard all those tracks. They are really horrible. I don't think anyone else should hear them. They should not be released.

Lewisboogie and EricSwan like this.
  8. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

And you know what? I have this album. I just don't know the song titles well...
    It's a good one.

caravan70 and vince like this.
  9. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Pfft, who on this forum hasn't heard of Carnival Of Light?

Oh!

Carry on. :whistle:

ARK likes this.
  10. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

It's a shame that George decided to take out his animosity towards the Anthology project on his fans. Worse, his fit of pique has now become permanently etched into Beatles history itself (and will probably never be rectified*).

A textbook case of passive-aggressiveness if there ever was one.

*No pun intended :)

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Lazerize, Shawn, Dodoz and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mr Bellamy

Mr Bellamy Forum Resident

On 25 October 2007 Paul McCartney played the Roundhouse, some of the live tracks were played on BBC radio that night along with a pre-recorded interview conducted by Stuart Maconie.

Impressively Maconie referenced Carnival of Light and actually asked Paul about it, his response doesn't add much to our knowledge but I thought it was interesting to post here in this thread.

12. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

BARCELONA!!!!!!!!!!!

longdist01 and chickendinna like this.
  13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

This is too well done to be a fake. So I'm going to call this the real deal!
    Post 126.
    B Beave

longdist01 likes this.
  14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

You know what they could have done? Use "Carnival of Light" as a pre-gap ghost track (before track 1 on a CD) on "Anthology". Die-hard fans would have heard it, it wouldn't have hurt the flow of the compilations, one could choose to listen to it or not. Plus there was room for it on Anthology 2 and 3, I think.
    I don't know if they (and especially George) considered this compromise.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  15. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Whaa? You Know My Name... is awesome! :agree:

16. 21st Century Schizoid Cat

21st Century Schizoid Cat Sleepy soul

/
    God, is there any other song so mythical that being in the same room as a laptop with the song on it, without even listening

caravan70 and PJayBe like this.
  17. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Is there anything stopping Paul going on a radio show and just playing it.

caravan70 and Heckto35 like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

His conscience... ;)

Possibly: He might not even have a copy of it any longer, although I am sure that he could go to EMI and ask for a copy to be made for him (if he really wanted it).

Heckto35 likes this.
  19. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I thought Paul had everything. Is it owned by EMI?

Heckto35 likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Paul didn't have a clean copy of the "Penny Lane" promo mix (witness the poor-sounding scratchy copy included in the Sgt Pepper deluxe box), so he doesn't have everything. ;)

Not sure if it is actually "EMI" still. It probably is Universal since they bought EMI. There used to be a store room with all Beatles' master and session tapes at Abbey Road studios. However, I think that they moved those original tapes to a more-secure location. Still, the Abbey Road studios may have copies of all the tapes. (Anyone know for sure???)

Anyhow, the Beatles recordings are "owned" by the the record company (EMI/Universal)---but they cannot release anything without the express approval of the Beatles/Apple. The two parties play nice nowadays.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Releasing it would kill off the endless discussion which is often very funny. A few days after its eventual release this thread will sink after a bunch of eye-rolling emoticons and "oh, ok" type comments and one or two posters shouting into space it's a masterpiece but gaining no traction because no one else cares.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

If anyone didn't know 'Unit Delta Plus' had music played at this event too - a very important electronic music studio/team.

I know this sounds silly but is it possible a long 'mix tape' was played at this event and would have contained the music of Carnival of Light and whatever else? Instead of different reels/acetates of different songs?

caravan70 likes this.
  23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I don't think the expanded editions hurt the legacy, a lot of people will stick with the main album after sampling the extras a few times. More Anthology type projects could possibly hurt their legacy.

24. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

If John was around and really wanted it out, he would have given it to a bootlegger like John did for What's Yer Mary Jane. No one would do anything if he played part on a radio show either, Lost Lennon played unreleased Beatles.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

The only thing that would hurt the Beatles legacy is a Gary Glitter or Brad Delp situation. Not going to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.