Beatles-EP or singles collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ashleyfan, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member Thread Starter

I can afford to buy one but not the other, and there is a bit of duplication, so which should I buy?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Without a doubt, I'd go with the EP Cee Dee Collecton! The best sounding -Legit- Beatles out there! A wonderful set...

3. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I didn't even know about the EP and Singles box sets! Amazon says that they're OOP in the US of A. Are they available anywhere else? And does the singles set really have the real mono mixes?

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, if you can afford only one, the EP Collection, though the singles collection has all the unique mono mixes as well. And though both titles are technically OOP, they're really not hard to find, as the meager content and inflated price of each has left many on stores shelves around the world; it's only a matter of tracking them down. Shouldn't be hard at all to find either one on the net; just takes time, as everything worthwhile usually does.

ED:cool:

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I've heard about 1/2 of the E.P.'s collection (the public library had some titles). I like what I've heard so far.

Just curious how the stereo Magical Mystery Tour E.P. compares with the CD.

Anyone?

6. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member Thread Starter

Check out amazon.co.uk, and I think they are both still available. Also, I have heard that the first three singles have added echo that was not on the original 45's, but have never been able to confirm that myself.

7. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I bought the EP collection months ago, but I never planned on playing it! It was just a curious addition to my Beatles collection. I may have to break it out and give it a listen!

8. Michael

You'll love it! Check out "I Want To Hold Your Hand"...it kicks ass!

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Putting on "I want to hold your hand" right now!

10. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Wow,

Talk about an improvement over all other versions of "I want to hold your hand" on cd! This Ep collection will now be the primary source of Beatles tracks for my various mix cd's for my car!

Oh, another plus about the Ep collection, on Magical Mystery Tour, the booklet that was created for the American EP is reproduced in full in this package!

11. Michael

Cool Huh? I was blown away when I first played The EP Collection...IWTHYH is killer! Punchy!
    That's a great reference tune for the set...I'm proud to own this!:thumbsup:

12. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

You have another vote for the EP Collection. It's one of the few releases that EMI/Apple got right. The sound quality on "She's A Woman" is worth the price alone. Getting the MMT EP in both stereo and mono mixes is a real joy. Ed is right about a lot of Single and EP Collections setting on shelves. I still see them here and there. Also try a good used record store, you should be able to get it for a fair price.
    Happy hunting!!!

13. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

14. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

15. ascot

ascot Senior Member

16. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Thanks guys, I had been looking at what was available on Ebay from time to time and I didnt see any selling for less than $99.95, so when I saw the one I just bought for a wee bit less $$, I figured what the heck, Go for it.

The Infinity Renaissance 90 speakers I have are SUPERB, (http://www.sansui.us/MS_Fred.htm) thus I can really appreciate the finer sound quality that I expect to be hearing on the ep box set.

The hi fi system has been updated from the photo- the main amps are now two vintage Sansui BA-5000's:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5319

Regards, B/F.

17. Michael

Great Price and sealed! EXCELLENT...Let us know how ya love it!

18. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Did all of the EP boxes include the MMT booklet, or was there a print run that lacked them?

Mark

19. Michael

That's an interesting question...My EP Box came with the MMT booklet..Is yours missing?

20. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I have a booklet with mine!!

21. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

22. Michael

Someone grab this! A must have for every Beatle lover! And still sealed...Nice.

23. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

What version are you looking for , I buy and sell imports! I am directly
    connected to a import warehouse database in Europe. I was just checking
    their database , after reading your post and the Ep collection is available
    from: Holland,Germany ,England and Japan. The cost varies quite a bit
    just depending upon which version you want. Let me know and I'll get
    you some prices ! I'm sure I can beat others prices . I sell through Ebay,
    I have been selling their for around a year. I have a positve rating of 56 ,
    with no negative feedback!
    txguitar

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I just ordered a new set from Amazon UK (I had ordered it a month or two ago, but cancelled the order since we hadn't closed on the house yet... I didn't want a bill to hit at the wrong time).

Anyway... the price WITH shipping comes to $99 US. Although the price for the set is listed at around 75 pounds, at check out it was discounted to about 65 pounds. Not bad for a sealed copy shipped.

25. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yeah, that's the good thing about buying from the UK stores. They subtract the 15% (I think) Value Added Tax (VAT) for foreigners.

Always a pleasant surprise and usually covers the shipping and sometimes more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.