Beatles February 1969 Mystery Session

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ern, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Ern

Ern Senior Member Thread Starter

For the people who have the Beatles deluxe hard back book from the vinyl edition, can someone scan this photo from the february 1969 mystery session:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are few photos from this session and that one in the book looks great! :)
    By the way, I don't have the book, I took the first two photos from Youtube.

2. Ern

Ern Senior Member Thread Starter

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

That looks like a great picture! From the mics in front of the guitar amp, I'd say that this must have been an actual recording session, not just some kind of rehearsal as some have speculated. Would love any clues as to what was being worked on.

Is the book you are referring to from the 2012 remastered vinyl box? That picture is not in the 1970 book.

Someone scan it pronto please!

4. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

It looks like a White album session, McCartney is still beardless, must be 1968.

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

No, it's definitely at Apple, you can tell by the detail in some of the other pictures. But as Paul is beardless, it must be from after January 1969. Some of the pictures were in the 1970 'Get Back' book that came with the 'Let It Be' album.

Sean, DK Pete, Isaac Azimuth and 3 others like this.
  6. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Maybe Ringo's sheet on the left is a clue. Can someone zoom in and see if you can make something out?

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think that's already been tried, to no avail. From what I can make out, it doesn't really look like song lyrics.

8. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

too chubby to be 68 Paul

Cimrya Deal likes this.
  9. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

Yes, the pictures are from Apple and are from after January 1969.
    John is growing a beard and looks almost like what he did when he recorded 'Cambridge 1969' with his darling wife on March 2, 1969.
    Furthermore, as Ringo was filming 'The Magic Christian' during most of February my guess is that the pictures are from late-February as The Beatles were back in action on February 22 when they recorded the basic track of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" at Trident Studios.
    So what were they doing at Apple?
    Perhaps rehearsing and/or perhaps recording additional vocals for "Don't Let Me Down" which are believed to have been added in February.
    I guess we'll never know ...

Sean, bill scruggs and rstamberg like this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, the DLMD vocal overdub is a possibility (whenever it was done seems to be undocumented). However, I'm not sure why they would be playing their instruments for that. Another possibility is a test session following Apple's technical makeover following Magic Alex's initial 'design'. The mics in front of the amps make me think that something was being recorded here.

11. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Really disappointed here. I thought you guys had every minute of the Beatles career cataloged right down to bathroom breaks. :winkgrin:

12. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

We do!
    In fact, the day those pictures were taken John wore his green underwear but we won't share that sort of important information with just anybody.
    In that way we can stay feeling important.... ;)

AlecA, Wil1972, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

his green apple underwear?
    [​IMG]

14. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

15. slane

slane Forum Resident

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

It could easily be a "test" session for the basement studio upgrades. Perhaps things went well enough that they decided to add vocal overdubs to Don't Let Me Down or even to record the rehearsals for I Want You, knowing that they would be returning to EMI to properly record the song in a few days. The reason it's not well documented is that the session was done at Apple, not EMI. We have the same dearth of information when songs were recorded at Olympic, De Lane Lea Music, Chappell Studios, Trident, etc... EMI were sticklers for proper paperwork, other studios, perhaps not so much. Ron

Isaac Azimuth likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The mystery Feb 1969 session will undoubtedly be mentioned in Drop Out: Volume 3 of Lewisohn's Beatles biography series---due out in 4-5 years (??). Patience is needed. Arnie

Sean, Gloi, Celebrated Summer and 4 others like this.
  18. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, even the other Apple sessions that I linked to above suffer from a lack of accurate documentation. I think one of the photos of Paul on the lap steel guitar made it into the 'Get Back' book too.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Yes, and the first photo in post #2 has little Heather right in the middle (in between the cymbals). Linda and Heather were not "regulars"' until the Get Back sessions in 1969.

And by the way: After everyone is dead and gone, it will probably be Heather who will have the honor of being the last person alive to ever attend any Beatles sessions. There's a trivia question for you all.

Arnie

DrJ, AngusStanley, 2141 and 8 others like this.
  20. slane

slane Forum Resident

One strange thing about that particular photo is that there are 2 versions, one where you can see the neck and headstock of George's guitar and one where you can't. Here's the one with the headstock:

mp00a.jpg

jricc and theMess like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

At this session they recorded "Peace of Mind", which they then deposited into the Apple trash can.

Needless to say the mystery session pictures drove us crazy when we were writing "DDSI". My inclination is to place them on a weekend in early February (a "Magic Christian" day off), and I'd have to think that John's excitement over "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" was the motivation.

Heather's other appearance was on a Sunday (1/26/69). Since she was 6 I would assume she was attending school regularly, so it's logical to figure the session was on a weekend.

limoges, Jon H., Keith V and 9 others like this.
  22. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

This picture looks photoshopped. Look at Ringos hair and the cymbals. Looks like cut-outs. There are many weird cuts all over the picture

EDIT: here's the explanation from the website posted here:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    bill scruggs likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

That would be my guess too with regard to "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". And when John was buzzed about doing something quick, the others usually fell into line.

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, it seems that Ringo and his kit have been moved slightly to the left. Which meant George's guitar neck (taken from where?) was now visible.

25. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Everyone is looking at Ringo. I wonder if he was singing "If I Should Live Up a Tree"? ;)