Beatles First U.S. Visit delayed? I guess not!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

Has anyone found the new Beatles DVD yet? Dude at BB told me it was delayed until April. What's the deal?

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Rob-
    I picked up my copy today at Best Buy for $14.99. Try another outlet (Circuit City?) I'm sure you'll find it!

3. Beatlelennon65

That's funny. I went to Best Buy and looked with the new releases plus all around the endcaps and other display areas and around the music DVDs where the OTHER Beaqtles dvds are and no luck. Of course the jackass I ask probably had several copies in the back but he wouldnt know the Beatles from the Bee Gees.
    Circuit City never has anything, but I will look anyway.
    Thanks SD.
    R

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Mike

Have you watched it yet? We don't get over on this side of the pond until next Monday. I'm keen to know what it's like - how does it compare to the previous release?

Cheers

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I picked mine up at Circuit City today. I may get time to watch it soon.

6. Mike Dow

Hi Kipper15

Yes, I watched it last night. The movie that we are all familiar with looks and sounds fantastic! The audio is in mono and the picture is amazingly clear. For me, the best part of yesterday's viewing was the 50 minute "making of" documentary with TONS of outtakes. Albert Maysles speaks very candidly about what it was like to be there. He has an obvious love for The Beatles (although he didn't know who they were until Feb. 7, 1964! He and his brother received a call from Granada TV two hours before The Beatles' plane was to land in NYC) and the medium of documentary film. The "making of" doc is literally packed with Beatles moments we haven't seen before. As Albert says on the DVD, "Today, any moment we find with The Beatles is special" .(paraphrasing)
    If it's possible, I'm in love with that band more than ever. :love:

P.S. to answer your question...how does it compare with the previous release? I have the VHS, the first DVD (MPI) and now this version. The new version is crystal clear--awesome black and white. The Maysles brothers certainly knew what they were doing! The audio has been remastered and it sounds good. Thankfully, they stuck with the mono tracks and did not try to fashion some sort of bizarro-5.1 mix None of that murky "woosh" sound like that created for the latest "Hard Day's Night" DVD.

I think you will like it!

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

So the 'making of' documentary has unseen Beatle footage?

8. Mike Dow

Yes, it does! :) Quite a bit, surprisingly!

9. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up Mike...it sure sounds great, especially with the never-seen-before footage.

Thank God they didn't futz with the sound to give us a pseudo 5.1 soundtrack.

Now I can't wait for Monday when the Region 2 version is released over here.

Cheers

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Previously unseen footage?

Even though I've got the MPI version, that's more than enough reason to get this one.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I A-B'd it with the previous DVD, which was the LD ported over to DVD. The picture is smoother on the new one, it's especially noticeable in the Peppermint Lounge segment. The sound, however, is vastly improved. It now features a clear mono track, whereas the LD & MPI DVD was in bogus pro-logic, and sounded like everything was recorded in the bathroom. The bonus stuff is icing on an already great cake!

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I just watched the whole DVD, it really is great. My locale Wal Mart had it for $12.99, which is a very attractive price. The video transfer was sharp, and the sound is a very good quality mono, although I listened to it in Neo: Music 6 just to give me the "wall of sound" effect. I highly recommend this disc to everybody that is remotely interested in the Fab Four and the history of how the media created a sensation out of four young lads from Liverpool.

13. Beatlelennon65

Found it at Barnes and Noble after Circuit City didnt have it. Great DVD and great extras with maylses.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Geez, another rebuy...But.....It's The BEATLES!!! One fine reason to double dip...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.