Beatles - Get Back new book

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Looks like hundreds of George Harrisons driving by, one after one.^^

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm hoping for lots of previously unseen photos from their rehearsals/sessions and rooftop gig. Instant buy for sure.

Hep Alien and Who Cares like this.
  3. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

How much does this new book, tie into the upcoming Peter Jackson Beatles film, & or any new Beatles album ?

Are all these posts simply interest in another Let It Be book, or new info on the film & album ?

Can we assume, or has Apple, The Beatles, Or Giles Martin said anything about working on a new Get Back-Let It Be album ?, As I recall, in the past, there were quite a few leaks, from Giles Martin, The Beatles & others, when extensive reworking of Sgt Pepper's 50th, White album 50th & Abbey Road 50th were occuring...

But this time I haven't seen or read anything about Giles assembling Twickenham outtake rehearsals, or remixing Let It Be etc...is that because A)- it's still way down the road, Or B)-There won't be any new 50th album....or C)-something else ???

Get Back-Let It Be, is a unique opportunity in the following way...they have at minimum several unreleased multitrack songs like Peggy Sue Got Married, & say at least 80-100 songs from Twickenham & other similar 69 rehearsal-recordings..mostly cover songs, with some early Len/Mac songs, & some new songs that appeared later. On early solo Beatles albums....

With currrent recording technology, protools etc...many rough recordings could be whipped into good releasable tracks....many fans have already made some, The Beatles Version of All Things Must Pass for example...it's really the 1969 Beatles, but pieces of multiple takes can be edited for one good, complete performance, & to double things like guitar solos, lead & backround vocals,, fixing flam notes, or tempo etc etc...adding reverb, EQ, echo. & or various effects to shine it up...

Out of a hundred odd songs, say they worked on 30 of the most promising & winnowed it down to the best 15 after reviewing their results...

Say they released the remixed album on disc 1

15 enhanced never before released new songs on disc 2

1 or 2 discs of raw original non enhanced tracks..etc etcc

Diego Lucas, 2141, marklamb and 3 others like this.
  4. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I
    Interestingly, educational is featured in the discrimination. My main question was somewhat based on my two sons as I don't recall them playing cowboys and Indians or war.
    As a kid growing up in the 50's, the Sears catalog for Christmas was always packed with pages of toy guns, pretty much Westerns and War. There were tons of westerns on TV, so I think that was a big part the huge amount of toy gun thing. There were also a lot of play outfits so you could dress up as your favorite western star or a soldier. Lots of war toys, tanks and jeeps, planes. Large batches of plastic army men. Nazi and Japanese enemies. Later on as the Cold War progressed, missiles became toys. I guess all the war toys made perfect sense, because so many of our dads were returned G.I.'s.
    Okay...back to the Beatles. And I'm not talking about that bizzare "All This and World War II" Beatles thing. What was THAT all about anyway?

Beatleboy1968 likes this.
  5. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Ask Kevin Hart

6. let him run...

I think this new "Get Back" book was described as a companion piece to the Peter Jackson film. I think then we can assume the film is also titled "Get Back". Which really is a perfect title. I think it's too early to start hearing anything about the 50th set from any legit sources. It'll be the usual speculation for quite awhile. Apple always is pretty tight lipped for far too long.

7. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Bill Wyman?

8. let him run...

I guess I haven't paid enough attention to Kevin Hart to know what that means.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't think telling a story from a different angle is necessarily re-writing it; it may simply be bringing out things that weren't emphasized quite as much but need to be, possibly presenting a better rounded picture of what actually was. There were definitely glimpses in the original Let It Be movie of an actual good time actually being had by the four Beatles. But then there was the negative vibe which came across as well...but was it put into proper perspective..?? I'm sure they had many "negative vibe" moments happening from the beginning during some sessions which resulted in some of their greatest work. But we never got to see any of it so we 'went along" always picturing "The Beatles" as this happy little band who always gave us what we wanted and loved every moment-and every moment of each other- doing it. Of course this is false and very not "real life". So when we finally got to see one of them arguing *at* another it was an "oh-my-god" moment (there were times that our beloved Beatles actually didn't get along happily with one another..?? How can that be??)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think there will be a bit of perspective this time. It was after all, 8am in the morning on a cold, drafty soundstage in the dead of winter. Hardly conducive to making great, or even mediocre music.

Because of this, I’ve always taken the ‘negative vibe’ aspect with a pinch of salt. Yes, they were probably feeling a bit of resentment at Paul for shepherding this project so soon after the White Album, and it probably didn’t help that even at 8am he was on his A-game.

I think we’ll see this angle in the Jackson film, which will undoubtedly bring out the ire in the anti-Paul cult!

Jimmy Cooper, coco77 and DK Pete like this.
  11. let him run...

Hopefully they'll include it anew, I think the problem of the binding won't be a problem this time. I don't think I've ever seen one whose binding held up.

DK Pete likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Magic Alex invented a special type of book that didn't need any binding. ;)

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

With Paul, Ringo, and Apple fully involved it will surely be Let It Be...as we remember it...50+ years later...um, if we can remember the memories as they really happened.

I love Paul and Ringo. I do. However, I know that Paul has a tendency to water down and change the narrative to make it sparkle the way he wants it to look via his own hindsight. We keep hearing through Giles how we're all wrong about the band and their tendency to want to get the EFF out of the Beatles during the White Album and Abbey Road, saying they weren't angry or arguing and they were having a great time. There were certainly times where things were on point and they were having fun, but they were absolutely growing up and becoming independent men that wanted to independently explore music their own way with out the other three. And that's fair.

I do look forward to this Let It Be package in whatever form we see it. There is a ton of footage - video and audio - and they cold really have a field day with all of it. We got the miserable "Fly On The Wall" disc in 2003 and we're certainly bound to get FAR more than that. Fine. But what DOES come our way in 2020? I just don't know. I'm very curious.

Unpopular opinion: the Abbey Road set was a bit of a let down. It was somewhat lackluster after what we got with Pepper and the White Album. THIS set should be (and it could be) really phenomenal.

Bring it on, Apple.

14. My wife's own copy unbelievably did... almost 50 years down the line now!! I think she let me read it once (she actually never did read the transcriptions herself)! I was careful though to pinch the spine over a sufficient "depth" and not crack it open all the way.

I think the humid climate over here might help. ...Though obviously still not in the case of fanboys such as I!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Suncola, ARK and Hep Alien like this.
  15. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It’s easy to prevent. Just follow Nigel’s advice...

ARK and Hep Alien like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's invisible binding for an invisible version of the book. Stays together infinitely.

notesfrom likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

What would you have liked to see in the AR set that wasn't included? Some of my hopes were:
    -Isolated vocal track of Paul's final take on Oh Darling
    -Here Comes The Sun with the unused electric guitar parts left intact
    -Additional *full band* working versions of just about anything on the album
    -Proper remixed versions of BOTH Ballad Of John and Yoko and Old Brown Shoe.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

"Let It Be" seemed to me about as real as reality TV. When people know they're being filmed, they don't say and do the things they would otherwise. It's also pretty boring when the band isn't playing (and sometimes then, too).

I've never seen a book that accompanied the original film soundtrack. I guess not released in the States?

19. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Not released in the U.S.

20. Jack

Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

My copy came with the box set and has all pages in place. Just have to be careful when looking through it.

forthlin and ParloFax like this.
  21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Full agreement with all of what you said. I would have enjoyed demos (if any still exist) or deeper sessions takes of anything else not named "Her Majesty".

The set wasn't terrible. Far from it. They were setting themselves up for this push-back, however, with the extremely amazing presentation of the previous two sets. I just felt that the Abbey Road set was a bit thin.

Spadeygrove, DK Pete and willy like this.
  22. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Not “officially”, altho quantities of the book later made their way thru such retailers as B Dalton Bookseller in the mid-70’s, likely as overstock. I recall seeing stacks of these at the Northwest Plaza store for something like $5.00! Boy, talk about a missed opportunity...

Ryan Lux likes this.
  23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Don’t forget about the Let it Be book by Bruce Spizer.

24. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, it is easy to forget they were starting the days at 8am, as you say in a cold, drafty soundstage in the dead of an English Winter. Yikes. That alone would be enough for them to say sod this (which George finally did). But I mean my god, I'm surprised they went for this idea at all! What was the earliest The Beatles ever started recording previous to this? Maybe noon? Or more likely late afternoon/evenings, and often late into the night. Eight AM must have felt absolutely insane to be trying to work out and record music, and yet, they did manage to pull out some great stuff. They were troopers always. :agree:

25. let him run...

It wasn't released in the states, but it was imported heavily , I don't remember when the last one I saw I saw for sale was. But early on I saw boxes of 'em for sale. It was truly a limited edition, unlike many of today's "limited editions". Which seem to be limited to how many they can sell.
    I've never seen a rundown of how many were made. That seems like a Bruce Spizer question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.