Beatles - Get Back new book

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

That is, Years 2-6 and Years 7-9 in England?

Confusing...

To clarify, I'm American, so our elementary is 1st-4th grade (6-10 years old) and our middle is 5th-8th (11-14 years old) and high school is 9th-12th (14-18 years old).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  2. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I'm afraid I'm completely ignorant about the US system. In England, a grammar school is a secondary school that is government funded, however, they are selective - unlike the rest of the government funded schools - called 'state' or 'comprehensive' schools. This means that children can only gain admission to a grammar school via an entrance examination called the 11+ taken when a child is 10 years old, and typically consisting of English, maths and verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests. The pass rate is high these days: 65 - 70%. So you have to be clever to get in. I don't know what the pass rate would have been like in the Beatles' day though.

So primary school consists of
    Reception: 4 years old
    Years 1-6: 5-11 years old

Secondary is Years 7-11: 12-16 years old
    Sixth Form: Years 12-13: 17-18 years old

After sixth form is uni. Sixth form is like a sort of buffer between secondary and uni.

Hope that makes sense!

Edit: there used to be a 'middle school' concept but they phased that out.

I should add that at secondary they study GCSEs which is demanding two year course, which they need to pass to get into sixth form. Then at sixth form they study for their A levels, which is even more difficult than GCSEs and which they need to pass to get into uni.

3. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

No. Primary school took you from post-kindergarten to age 11 or so. From age 12 to 16 (or 18) you went to Secondary school. Grammar School was/is one type of Secondary school (the sort you went to if you passed the 11-Plus exam).
    See Lewisohn for more details. :)

4. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

So in the US it seems like

Reception = kindergarten

Primary = elementary plus 5th grade

Secondary = 6th grade through high school (9-12)

Grammar = closest to a charter school, which are private here.

Head spinning...

5. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I kind of get it, but it's difficult without a direct analogy because I've lived through one system and not another...

6. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Yeah! I guess the thing to remember concerning the Beatles is that a grammar school is free, but selective. Always some form of gatekeeping here, let me tell you. My children have been through the system and, not being a native, I was stunned at how difficult it is, how much pressure is put upon them at such a young age...also how advanced the texts are that they read for English, and are expected to know them well enough to be able to quote from memory in an exam! So I can imagine how difficult it must have been for Paul to juggle GCSEs (or O levels as I think they were then known as) and his A Levels plus Beatle duty. And I can imagine how John and George with their more rebellious personality types would not have liked the demands being made of them throughout school. It did give those three a very solid foundation, that stood them in good stead for their songwriting. They had a high standard of education.

7. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

All power to your kiddos!

Seems so!

Like taking an SAT and Advanced Placement course and test here probably, but weighted much more heavily toward matriculation!

On top of a gigging band spot.

Those middle class boys certainly made good!!

2141 and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I have no doubt in the early days especially, John hopped up on Preludin and alcohol would be someone you wouldn't want to cross in a serious way. :help:

9. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

So bottom line, John says he's been conniving since he was about six or seven years old?

2141 and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If you knew to knock off John's glasses right away, he'd be completely blind and you could whip his butt with ease.

2141, Mike M and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  11. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I'd love to know when & how that break became George's responsibility. He seems to be doing it right from that start of the sessions at Apple.

12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

There's that story Paul tells about John, around Christmas time, thinking that some strange people were hanging around outside of some mate's house for hours and hours and what were they doing? And he was worried or some such and he takes Paul round to show him, and it's a nativity scene! He just didn't have his glasses. LOL!

2141, Mike M, milk731 and 2 others like this.
  13. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

In California it typically goes:

Kindergarten

then Grammar School - 1st-6th grade

Junior High - 7th-8th grade (but some junior highs go 3 yrs, from 7-9th grade)

High School - 9th-12th grade

then College :winkgrin:

ronbow likes this.
  14. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

And he was only 28 years, 3 months, 4 days old when having that very conversation.

15. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Woof!

Mass does

Kindergarten

1-4
    5-8
    9-12

College

2141 likes this.
  16. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

lol probably true! Any stories about that happening?

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Just clicked on this to see what people think of the book. What is all this? What's it got to do with anything?!

Is the book any good? I dread to think what this thread is like if this page is anything to go by.

18. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

It was Wooler's joking that John and Brian were lovers, that threw Lennon into an uncontrollable rage.

What's interesting is that Wooler was gay, and very in the closet during those years.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wow! I've never seen that quote before. John really does seem to have been an awful man and the more I read about him, the more convinced I am by this, to the point he seems irredeemable. I can't believe I once had a poster of this man on my wall. I still love the music though.

I'm not actually convinced Paul liked him much either after a few years. He could never say so though, but they certainly weren't getting on well for a long time towards the end of The Beatles and he had very little to do with him afterwards.

20. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

He seems so incredibly self-aware in that conversation, you know, for someone so young, and after the break-up, too. I mean,he talked in self-aware way after the break up.

batdude98 and 2141 like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Probably those were not stories anyone wanted to repeat.

2141 likes this.
  22. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

It's ok. This is a quiet, fairly slow moving thread. Most of the talk has been exclusively about the book or about matters relating to the book. Even what we're talking about on this page stems from comments John made in conversations during the Get Back sessions, some of which are in the book. The book is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone. As much as you probably don't want to trawl through 37 pages, you probably should (if you want more info) as it's all very good convo.

steepien, NumberEight and Man at C&A like this.
  23. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

This is how I see it as well. The more I dig into all the events regarding the break up at least, I become more and more sympathetic toward Paul. Just seems the story points that way.

Monasmee and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've nothing against it, I love The Beatles, Beatles chat and Beatles threads. Let's have more of them! I should have joined this earlier and stuck with it. I'll probably get the book for Christmas. I can't imagine anyone stretching out to get me the new Macca lyrics book. I'll get it when it's discounted in The Works (a cheap UK book chain, not the Queen album!) to about £12 in six months!

I'm only half kidding, it almost certainly will be discounted heavily sometime next year, unless it's a limited edition. I hope so. It does look very nice and well worth the price, but I just can't afford it.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Paul strikes me as a decent man caught up with a self obsessed heroin addict who had no interest in anything but his wife and someone else who just didn't care anymore, both of who resented him for wanting to do things bands are supposed to do, like play music and write songs together.

jacden and funkydude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.