Beatles "HELP" recording session question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can any of you Beatles experts comment on the fact that it's PAUL and not George who is overdubbing that guitar lick throughout the song?

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Paul also plays those cool licks on Ticket To Ride!!

3. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Everything I have ever seen or read on the subject indicates that George attempted to play that guitar riff in real time during the recording of the track. There are several bootleg discs that have early takes of the song with George attempting to play it, but without much success. Consequently, they decided to record the track without George's guitar figure and overdub it later. As I recall, you can hear John thumping on the body of his guitar to keep time during the blank measure where the guitar part would be over-dubbed. I certainly can't prove it, but to my ears, George plays that part, but only as an overdub. Paul could have played it, based upon his supposed lead on "Ticket To Ride" during that time period, but to me, it sounds like classic Harrison.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

"String broke!!"

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You "Yellow Doggers", listen to the end of the first (or was it second) take of the GUITAR OVERDUB for HELP. When the song ends, you hear the guitar player "cut loose" with a riff just before the tape machine is stopped. That's PAUL, and the riff is total Paul-style. Trust me on this! Surprised me too!

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Boss - Yellow Dog??? Tsk, tsk... :laugh:

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

George seems to have gotten the lick down on live versions.

Suncola likes this.
  8. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

I think it was in that tribute magazine to George that Rolling Stone put out, Tom Petty talks about putting on some Beatle boots for George, George grouses at first, but then picks up a guitar and starts playing along...He plays along with the Help! lick, Petty says he's surprised to see how easy it is, he'd never bothered to figure it out, George teaches it to him...The story takes on a whole new resonance if it was Paul playing on the recording. Anyway, it's a great story if you've never read it, I didn't do it justice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.