SH Spotlight BEATLES--John and Cyn: Didn't they make a cute couple? Letters from John....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

The main point is he fell out of love with Cyn, happens all the time. Pity for all concerned, but most folks just divorce and move on. Not much point wondering what if.

2. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Hi,

I think 'one' of the tragedies of John's sudden death is that so many things didnt get addressed by John as he got older, i'm sure and i hope over time John would have matured and grown somewhat beyond the clousness that often pervaded his interviews, some of the last ones he gave were quite cruel in there tone to Julian and Cyn .. again, this was just John, but i wish he had had the chance to make real peace with his relationships outside Yoko, i still shudder everytime i read that quote from Playboy where he said Julian was the result of a bottle of scotch on a Saturday night .. but then went on to describe how Sean was a product of love, just a shame John didnt get a chance to really face himself as i dont think big mouthing and blustering is doing that at all, John had a long and interesting journey ahead of him, and i'm finding that as i move into my forties it only gets more intense and more interesting,

Greg xoxo

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sad, it really must have been tough for her to lose her love...

I guess Yoko was more in the spirit of what John was looking for. Maybe a new Mommy...

4. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've always said that worst thing that John did was taking too acid.It had to have affected him.Think: if 1964 John had met Yoko/Magic Alex/Allen Klein.How long would they have lasted before John sent them on their way??????

5. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Seems to me that acid was probably more a symptom than the cause. John married young, for starters (though less so for the time). I didn't get married until I was almost 30, and I'm very thankful for it. The way I was and what I wanted at 21 were very different things, and I didn't even become one of the most famous people on the planet in the interim.

It's always a tragedy when things don't work out, but, without taking anything away from Cynthia, or not regretting the fact that John's death meant that he didn't get to address some of the loose ends in his life, I think it's silly to blame acid, or Yoko or any of those things. Ultimately, I think John and Cynthia's story is a sadly common one.

Geoff

recroom likes this.
  6. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Those were the good times.

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Thanks Steve for posting the letters.

8. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

That's the one, Mal. Thanks!

I think Cyn looks better there than as a blonde.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

He had met Yoko and dismissed her originally as nutty, according to some books, but she was tenacious, and I agree, the acid trips left him open to weirdness and different views.

While that's completely true, acid drove a wedge between them that was never fixed. John wanted a "trip buddy", someone to explore the new worlds he was seeing and Cyn couldn't handle it.

LSD is a very, very powerful mind drug....it's quite possible that without it, John never would have grown so far from Cyn so quickly.

While many people marry young and split, others overcome their problems and differences and live a great life together. There is no indication that John and Cyn couldn't have done so, but LSD is "all-consuming" while you're doing it, and a few "Oh John, no"'s and he would be seeing her in a different light, one that could irrevocably change the way he feels for her.

In the end we'll never know what happened and that's fine...however I do believe that without LSD, John and Cyn would have stayed together longer, and her book only enforces that notion.

10. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

How about his countless infidelities; do you think he had much respect for the marriage in the first place?

11. smokeverbs

smokeverbs Senior Member

Indeed a cute and amazing couple. Thanks for sharing those letters!

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The "man" who's name we must never mention would have been just as mentally deranged no matter who John was married to or where he was living in December 1980 and would have still murdered him. He was a world traveller and did travel to New York specifically to end John's life. :cry: For one thing, he reportedly was angered by Lennon's 1966 statement (made before John met Yoko) that "the Beatles were more popular than Jesus". Enough about him though. :sigh:

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Happier times in the Bahamas....

Attached Files:

14. I always liked Cynthia. I couldn't read the letters posted here after only a few sentences, it is just too personal for me to know about. As far as the marriage falling apart, both were young and that combined with drug usage and John's infidelities made the marriage survival impossible, it just couldn't happen with obstacles like that. Cynthia, I believe is married for the fourth time now to Noel Charles and I wish them the best, she is deserving of a happy life for her last couple of decades and with all of her cherished memories. Her life in the early to mid 60's must have been interesting to say the least.

Chris

15. This gets me in the gut.

I imagine everyone of us who are fathers have at one time or another felt and thought some of these things, at one point or another.

With our busy work schedules and life in general, I know there are times when I feel and think similarly. It really tears up my gut.

I work from home and realistically I haven't missed much of my boys growing up and development ( first words, first steps...etc) compared to most fathers to have had to leave the house and go to their workplace outside the home, but I do have a busy work schedule and work long hours in my home office.

Time with the kids is so important and precious. Just seems like it's still never enough. I don't believe there a such thing as spending too much time or enough time with them. Kinda' gets you right there.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Agreed. First time I read that letter (about six months before my first son was born) it really broke me up.

The good thing about it is that it showed a side of John Lennon that I wouldn't have known existed otherwise. That I am grateful for.

I think of this letter often, especially when my son wants me to play with him and I'm in the middle of something else. It "centers" me and I remember what is really important..

Paulwalrus and Bewaremylove like this.
  17. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

None of the lads did... it was the "rock lifestyle" and "northern tradition".

18. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Yes, they did, and Cynthia took the breakup as well as anyone could be expected to, almost too well. She probably would have taken him back, as if she knew he had lost his senses when he took up with Yoko Ono.

19. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

As George Martin has said " John changed a lot from the early years". Also I don't think Cyn had the strong arm character to reel John in when he was out of line. To me John seemed to need a strong mother influence. Yoko did keep him alive during the "drug" years of the late 60s and 70s. For better or worse.

sean

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Every father reading this will feel this deep cutting feeling at one time or another. I have.

This is a revelation for such a young man, especially one used to the high life of being in a rock band. It shows how perceptive and sensitive Lennon was, even while playing the dives in the rough and tumble Hamburg days.

21. Zowie

Zowie Forum Resident

Excellent and poignant thread.

Reminds me of that old saying "Youth is wasted on the young" ... would that we could all be that age again.

22. Skate

Skate New Member

All of the touring and traveling time apart from one another, puts a huge strain on any relationship... I'm certain the music biz has ended plenty.
    ThanX for the thread Steve!

23. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer

Very touching stuff. I quit playing full time when my daughters were 8 and 2 because I couldn't bear to be away from them anymore.

24. vinylluvr

vinylluvr New Member

This kind of what I was thinking. John was obviously head over heels in love with Yoko and apparently she fulfilled what he must have been looking for in a relationship. I always felt bad for Yoko that she didn't get to grow old with John as he had wanted to.

25. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Cynthia wanted to "settle down" and live a traditional life.

As most Mothers might have wanted to....

John, was not willing to do that.

I ask... What does it mean to "Stand By Your Man ? ? ?"

Protoites so often get jumbled in Marriage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.