Beatles Live at Hollywood Bowl essential?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samurai, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not essential.

However, if you are a significant fan, you have probably, by now, played the core studio albums and stray singles collections to the point where they are like comfortable shoes. In which case, something/anything new helps extend the experience just a wee bit.

But even in the mid '70s when it was first issued, and I was young enough to buy into the excitement surrounding the release, it was mostly a listen-once-then-go-back-to-what-I-was-doing experience.

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Essential? Not really, but it's a nice historical document. Of course for the completist it is. My favorite live recording is the Swedish radio broadcast in front of an audience from 1963. They are on fire during that show despite the occasional out-of-tune guitar. The full show was on an album called 'Johnny and the Moondogs'. Most of the show popped up on Anthology 1.

Jon H. and John Porcellino like this.
  3. If you consider yourself a casual Beatles fan, I guess you only own compilations aimed to the non-initiated or casual fans, in which case "At The Hollywood Bowl" is not essential.

But if you have bothered listening at least a couple of their original albums from start to finish, you are not a casual fan. Not a hardcore fan either, but definitely not casual. And I've always thought that "At The Hollywood Bowl" is an essential release not just for hardcore fans, but anybody interested in anything beyond Beatles' usual suspects in their catalog. This album is the only official document of the band live in their prime. The performances are different, the sound is different... it's the band as they sounded without any studio enhancements (plus a lot of crowd noise). I've always considered this as an essential addendum to the original Beatles discography. BTW, I used to think the same of "A Collection Of Oldies" and "Rarities" (UK version) until the "Past Masters" compilations were released.

All of the above in my opinion, of course.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Repeating what many other posts have explained - this new "Hollywood Bowl" release is essential if you enjoy The Beatles' core catalog.

I think a big factor whether many will want to purchase this CD depends on the listenability of the music.

Depending on how much the the sound has been "cleaned up", compared to the original LP release:
    1. If the same, with no improvement - it will remain as a historical document for the curious. Shoulders shrug.
    2. If slightly improved - you'll hear a collective *sigh* wishing for more.
    3. If vastly improved - you'll see a 100 page thread posted here, with minute by minute minute analysis of each song, with deeply personal observations, surprisingly emotional testimonies, and exclamations of joy.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I would like to think most fans who collect the boots will purchase the legitimate release too.

Rfreeman likes this.
  6. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Actually I've seen unauthorized DVD releases (not by Apple), same w/ Magical Mystery Tour before the 2012 reissue. @ my local new and used record
    shops. HMV etc. The owner @ the locally owned shop told me that it's probably a VHS or other source (not master) transfer but didn't look/sound too bad
    but was cropped.

7. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Just listen to the new remixed song with Ringo singing "Boys" at the Hollywood Bowl.
    He sings on key (a rarity for live Ringo) and with gusto and the band delivers a searing performance. And the screams give you an idea of what it was like to be there (except you can actually hear the music!) Listen to this and then decide whether it is essential or not.
    Hear Beatles' Newly Remixed 'Boys' From Hollywood Bowl ยป

Digu likes this.
  8. this is essential

9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Well obviously Shea has been on DVD for several years via unauthorized means. I was of course referring to an official release, not dubbed from a VHS or 16mm.

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

After listening to it, it's more essential than ever!

The album absolutely ROCKS!

The sound is really improved and the Beatles are taking no prisoners!

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

No. Its better with visuals. Just watch the movie.

No Bull likes this.
  12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

No!

It's better that you can really hear the music with improved sound, get the album and watch the movie!

musicfan37 likes this.
  13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Eclipses the BBC releases? The BBC releases have 34 songs not performed or released anywhere else...and in far better quality.

14. My Cd arrived today! I'd say it is something even a casual Beatles fan should have. Plus, they added a few more songs that weren't on the original LP.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The BBC stuff is cool and all, but it just doesn't flat out rock the way the performances on the Hollywood Bowl do!

Crank your system up and listen to Dizzy Miss Lizzy, it's heavy metal in 1964!

The Beatles are absolutely taking no prisoners!

BeatlesBop, markbrow and Rfreeman like this.
  16. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

You're right - let me qualify that. It eclipses the BBC releases in capturing Beatlemania. The BBC is far strong material.

Darrin L. likes this.
  17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I would agree.

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

the BBC has more material, but the material on Hollywood Bowl is just as strong and rocks harder!

markbrow likes this.
  19. drummerdogg

drummerdogg Forum Resident

The new 2016 release is fantastic. The audio has been greatly improved by Giles Martin, and the screaming, while still there, is not so annoying as on some of the bootlegs of the live shows. The separation of instruments and vocals has been enhanced to a really nice level. Got my copy yesterday, and have listened to it 3 times already. My only complaint is with the shows being as short as they were, it's a shame Apple didn't put out a complete show from both 64 and 65. There would have been room for both on one cd. Would also recommend the BBC stuff as well.

20. 905

905 Senior Member

A casual fan, no.
    A serious fan, definitely. Why be without this live version of Things We Said Today now that it's officially released and easy to get?

21. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Upon further listening, this album is amazing - the best we could possibly get out of those tapes. And yes, essential.

22. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

As a fan of The Beatles, I do find it essential, yes.

As a lover of what John Cale described as dirty ass rock 'n' roll, I find it indescribably essential.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  23. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

And for those of you who have stated that the screaming is a serious distraction, I was sitting amongst those emotional screaming gals in Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto in '65. An experience to match no other. I saw them but heard almost nothing. This LP (CD) always allowed me to at least rectify some of that. For me, definitely an essential addition to my Beatles discography.

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This is how good and essential I think it is, it is now my #1 very fave Beatles album!

I like most of their albums, but none of them, and I do mean none of them, have the force, power and all out hard rocking sound of this new Live At The Hollywood Bowl!

I have never ever heard the Beatles this hard and rockin anywhere else!

This is an EPIC album, and it should be #1!

25. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

The 1977 mix and master? No.

The new one? Absolutely essential.

driverdrummer and winston32 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.