Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Ron Howard: intrusive name on cover

2. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

More Like "Shameless Promotion to make a Fast Buck"!

3. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Just started listening to the CD. First impressions are that I really like the clarity, but I'm noticing that the vocals, compared to my original vinyl, sound as though they were recorded in an auditorium, not an open air theater. Seems to have a bit more echo. I like it!

4. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Unfortunately, simply re-sequencing the tracks will be somewhat unsatisfactory. The CD track cues result in intros to songs being at the end of the previous track, so the edit points will need to be at different positions. Also, transitions at edit points will need to be cross-faded. I haven't done this (yet).

Kim Olesen likes this.
  5. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

When Ringo would sell 25K of an LP(Ringo The 4th?) in the late 70's, he wouldn't even crack the hot 100. The last Beatles LP to go gold or platinum was "Let It Be.....Naked", which went platinum in 2003. "On Air....BBC Vol. 2" didn't sell enough to go gold. Probably one of the few if only post breakup Beatles releases to not earn gold status from the RIAA. Even "Reel Music" went gold in the 1982. That said.....this new version of HB could follow the same lack of sales as "On Air". It's just the sad reality of how dismal things are with current music sales. Even The Beatles are not immune to it. But as long as we get enjoyment from what Apple has finally started to release after decades of waiting.........let's all be thankful and hopeful for more.

6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Work through the Bay City Roller catalog first

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

True. I will have to rip the cd into Logic and do the crossfades and do new indexpoints.

Dinstun likes this.
  8. Shaker Steve

Shaker Steve Beatles & Elvis Fan

pre ordered with Amazon, private courier popped it through my letter box 6.55pm. Just listening to it now, sounds very good to me. What do we think of the CD packaging? just looks cheap to me, disappointed.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

And the sales are another point of argument that Apple should have released (or re-released) a lot of this material much much earlier, not only to capitalize on Beatle fandom while original fans and their kids were still young, but also while album sales were still much larger in general, across artists. They could not have predicted the digital revolution in the early 2000s of course, but I'm sure Apple is kicking themselves now that they didn't have Hollywood Bowl, Let It Be (Naked or Not) and remixes ready to go right after Anthology hit and Beatle fever had returned to the US and UK in the mid and late 90s.

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

In fairness to them, I think this release is only coming out because the technology is now there (in some people's opinion anyway) to do a new mix to mitigate the screaming. They clearly didn't think the 1977 mix of the album was good enough to be reissued.

11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Working today (in the US), so I will (hopefully) be getting this later today - I conveniently go right by a Best Buy on my way home.

I haven't heard this in about 36 years, but still distinctly remember not being too thrilled by the screams. So my expectations aren't too high. But as an experiment, I might stick my equalizer in my audio path and see how that changes how the audio sounds.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  12. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Maybe so. But I think the liner notes say that the Hollywood Bowl tapes weren't even listened to at Apple or considered for a release until 3-4 years ago, so it seems the idea for the documentary about the Beatles on tour really triggered the thought "Well, can we do something new with Hollywood Bowl?"

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I am disappointed they did not use the original font for the George Martin liner notes.

14. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

The 1977 version should be bonus tracks just like how the 1975 version of Help and Rubber Soul were bonuses in the mono box.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

When I made my needledrop, I separated the tracks with the intro as part of the song that is being introduced, this new one didn't do it that way! The songs also start abruptly with part cut off.

16. giants7592

giants7592 New Member

Do you think I can take a listen to your project once it's done? Lol I'm not exactly sure we're to edit these bonus songs in and idk what I want them to sound like by editing them together

17. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

My goodness, ten million posts in...

So like so many others I've just been through the LP on Spotify.

As much as I was critical of Giles Martin on 1+ (still fuming over Penny Lane, mate), I have nothing negative to say about the sound on Hollywood Bowl. Nothing at all. It is a joy, from start to finish, with some real stand out moments along the way. The band sounds great with a lot of presence not there on the '77 LP or the boots. One thing I noticed (I haven't gone back to the old LP to compare) is that Giles didn't pan the non-vocal channels hard left and right - he folded them in just a bit, which makes this a "semi-mono" recording. It really adds to the power, having the drums and bass not too far from center.

And musically, the Beatles deliver the goods.

For the Roll Over Beethoven / Boys couplet, that's the '62 Hamburg band out there, ripping through covers like their lives depended on it. Really exciting stuff.

Other highlight moments are Things We Said Today with its dynamic shifts now clear and present, She Loves You sounding urgent and brilliant, and a fine I Want To Hold Your Hand that had no right being left off the '77 LP.

But now that I've heard it, complete and in playing order, I have to agree with others who have complained about the bonus tracks being tacked on the end. Listening to this as a total work, Paul just told me Long Tall Sally is the last song of the night, they play and we fade to black. Then... we're back. The only logical reason I can think of (aside from honoring Sir George and his playing order) is that the Beatles weren't playing concerts longer than 30 min, so it would be a historical slight to create a longish Frankenstein, as it were, that never existed before. But as they are blending '64 and '65 songs already, the monster is already on the loose. So I really don't get it - these songs should have just been sequenced in and the total work made coherent. Ugh.

But that's it for complaining. My vinyl is ordered, and I have my movie tickets for next week. See you all at Shea Stadium!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  18. giants7592

giants7592 New Member

I just listened to it for the first time...it sounds so much better than the 1977 release. Very pleased with it! I can't wait to see the movie and get the DVD later this fall

dlokazip and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  19. Well they did have the best selling album of the 2000s with 1. I think they did alright. The hits and main releases will always sell big but this Hollywood Bowl is a fringe release as was Let it Be Naked at this point. We are not the masses.

20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

What many don't know or have forgotten is that The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl was originally only released as an official live record of The Beatles to stop people from buying the The Beatles ‎– Live! At The Star-Club In Hamburg, Germany; 1962 that had been released by Lingasong. I doubt EMI and Apple ever thought of thew LP as part of the cannon. It might not remain in print for long once the buzz of the film fades.

The Beave and aoxomoxoa like this.
  21. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

The sound quality is quite horrendous.

22. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that an LP of this material was announced in 1972 (also to combat bootlegs), but it did not appear then.

23. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Also,did You notice the Bandshell Echo that was missing from the 1977 Original?

389 Tripower likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They did a fine job with historic source material. Why don't you pop in on a discussion of the latest Robert Johnson, Bessie Smith, or Hot 5 reissue to add your insight.

25. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Ditto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.