Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

There are no overdubs on any version of Hollywood Bowl.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Imagine having quality recordings from the earlier years, the stuff Lennon pointed out was never recorded. I'm looking forward to hearing this new edition.

3. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I was told that store doesn't put out CDs, a vendor does - and not at midnight, nor even before noon sometimes. I'm not sure what I was told is true.

4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I don't mean any studio tricks later on but a graft of one of the 65 performances onto another Hollywood Bowl performance. That middle-eight harmony of John's on She's A Woman has always sounded sort of grafted on (the volume is quite louder) on the old album even though I love it. Maybe it is not a dub...but according to Wikipedia George Martin did use some snippets to fill holes:

"Martin found the 29 August 1965 recording virtually useless, and, except for a few dubs taken from the performance of 29 August to augment other performances, the album compiled by Martin consisted entirely of songs recorded on 23 August 1964 and 30 August 1965."

Quoted from Wikipedia The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The August 29, 1965 performance of "She's A Woman" is missing all of the vocals, IIRC. The recording of the show had technical problems as verified on bootlegs.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, not if you aren't into their live act.

7. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

He sounds like a junior Apple employee. Or a member of this forum.

ermylaw likes this.
  8. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I went to my local Target to pick this up today, I figured I'd have the best luck there. They actually didn't have it! So I went to Barnes and Noble next door, and they didn't have it! So I had to go to Walmart, which was the last place I'd want to go, and they had two copies.

So, I took it home and played it through.

The packaging isn't fancy but it sorta matches the insides of the Beatles '09 remasters. I like how in the book it has the original liner notes, that was interesting . It doesn't show the original cover at all. After I've had time to sit with the new cover in my hands, I've grown to like it. Sure I wish they'd use the original with a sticker for the almighty Ron Howard's film, but I'm kinda into it.

The music is great! I really enjoyed it, but I don't think I'm going to find myself playing it a lot. Great alternative, but none of these replace the studio recordings(as they weren't meant to). Really enjoyable to hear a slice of Beatlemania, and Ringo's drumming is awesome. Glad they included the bonus tracks, oh dear what can I do, baby's in black, but I'm feelin' blue...

goodiesguy, Simon A, dlokazip and 3 others like this.
  9. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Had my first listen this afternoon, blasting it out of the car stereo.

This is a great, even insanely great listen. This is, no doubt, far and away the very best that these concerts have ever sounded. Very enjoyable. Guitars! Bass! Drums! Harmonies! This is a great concert album! Who knew!

I even withdraw my quibbles about the running order. The 13 core tracks and the 4 bonus tracks seem to work fine.

All very nice!

Definitely will be in frequent rotations.

My hat is off to Giles!

And THE BEATLES of course.

--David

10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I went after work and grabbed a disc. Used my $5 rewards ticket. End result - $7 + tax. Not bad.

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

DmitriKaramazov, I'm with you!

This is an insanely great listen! I'm still amazed at how good it sounds!

The song Boys is just awesome, ringo's singing is good and the band is just rocking!

I can't help but say how rocking these performances are, it's always been there, Giles Martin has just uncovered it!

fmfxray373 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

P.S.

Based on this release the Beatles get to take back the World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band title.

Take THAT Keith Richards!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    dcshark, Ram4, Rfreeman and 3 others like this.
  13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If you are only going to own one legitimately released full length live album by the Beatles, this would be the one. :)

MMM, Opusjeff, Kermit27 and 10 others like this.
  14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I just went over to Amazon just to read some of the customer comments, guys this album is a winner!

The comments are vastly, vastly popular, everyone is talking about the improved sound!

Some are expressing their surprise at first listen and how powerful the Beatles sound live!

We finally have a very good live album of the Beatles!

I have a question, could another live album be put together from other songs the Beatles performed live?

For instance, are there live recordings of songs like ...
    Kansas City
    Should Have Known Better
    Happy Just To Dance With You
    Money
    You Really Got A Hold On Me
    etc.
    Didn't the Beatles perform these songs live also?

15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yea...Money and You Really Got a Hold On Me are live on Anthology 1...the Sweden shows. Great performances

Simon A likes this.
  16. Somewhere, Ed Sullivan is beaming: 1964 appearances for both on his show - and still atop the charts

Wingsfan2012 and 905 like this.
  17. Playing it now while catching up on some of the threads here in the forum. It sounds as good as I can ever remember hearing it. Tremendous job on the mixing, mastering and packaging. I can't wait for the Blu-ray in November!

18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Could someone repost the list of material taken from the Hollywood Bowl shows that wasn't released on the new HB albums. I listened to If I Fell and you could barely hear Ringo's drums on that track until the final verse.

19. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Bought a copy in '77... certainly wasn't sounding good on my cheap little record player... but I DO remember that I never warmed to the studio version of Things We Said Today because I considered the Bowl version definitive.. and I still remember how much I enjoyed Boys and George's harmony on All My Loving. I've always thought the weak link on ANY Beatles live recording are the Lennon singles... I Feel Fine.... Ticket to Ride .. and Help... I just don't think they ever did these songs very well live... Dizzy Miss Lizzie and Hard Day's Night are present. But as I remember it.. the highlights are Boys.... All My Loving.. Things We Said, Twist and Shout/She's a Woman... Roll Over Beethoven.... I got a LOT of use out of that album when I had it come to think of it. Can not WAIT to get my hands on this .. but I'm waiting until I've purchased that new Marantz receiver from crutchfield and getting some JBL LSR-8 monitors first... ;)

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  20. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The Only Problem was the Dumb tech Who'd forgotten to plug in the Mikes on stage,Which He'd started to do after that song,gradually! That happened during "You Can't Do That",btw.

21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I am warming a lot to Things We Said Today, I love it!!

I am thinking about getting an old vinyl copy of this album, it's a very good listen

22. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Thankfully it says November and isn't so open ended and vague like the McCartney Archive coming soon cards!

23. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Went to McCartney's official site to see how the buzz was there.

It's the same, they are absolutely loving this new live album, once again everyone is talking about how good it sounds!

Some comments are already saying that this gives them a new perspective of the Beatles as a live band!

Aren't we lucky that we always knew!

24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have always thought She's A Woman from the Bowl album held its own with the studio version.

25. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

What in the heck happened to the vocals? I happened to have had She Loves You from a needle drop of the 1977 album playing in my car randomly when I bought this new CD. Did an a/b in the car - i know not ideal (Harman Kardon BMW) I prefer the needle drop bigly. I don't want to be negative but this is maddening!

I'm getting less excited about remixes.

YourMainDude and Duophonic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.