Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Thanks Ray, I didn't know that. Just to correct my post - 'Baby's In Black' is still in copyright due to it's 1996 release.

Simon A and RayS like this.
  2. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I agree about ETTBMB, in fact for just about every cover song, the live version is an improvement over the studio version. I really don't care much for the studio versions of Roll Over Beethoven, Boys, Long Tall Sally, Dizzy Miss Lizzie or ETTBMB, but I love these on here.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks.

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

:confused:

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[​IMG]

905, supermd and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You wrote "Surprised they didn't just remix it." They did remix it.

ShowsOn likes this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Ah. Not a very noticable remix, then - granted, they only had three tracks to work with. Would have liked to have heard the vocals more centered, for example.

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

They are centered. They were on the '77 mix too.... and the raw bootlegs.

9. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

yeah...mine were shrinkwrapped a bit tight and caused the case to be a little unsquare on the spines. I checked copy #2 they had..and it was the same...just the opposite though. Not bad...no real damage, but I like mine square on the spine. It didn't alarm me like if there'd been a ding, crease or tear. The disc plays fine so that's what really matters most.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well, that explains that problem. I had recently taken my PC apart / back together and the wiring must be wrong. That was my bad.

[EDIT] Actually looks like a specific app. So, outside of the fully sound, I'll have to re-listen again since the output was incorrect.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  11. Greyrat

Greyrat Forum Resident

yes I think that is what he is saying. You can actually hear someone - I think George say "who's that man with the light?" then John says the "go away with that light, will ya?"

RayS likes this.
  12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Well said. +1

jammincrowe, coffeetime and RayS like this.
  13. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I picked up my copy at Target today, I am SO glad to finally own an official cd copy!
    I think it sounds really good, my only comment would be that the George's lead riff in Dizzy Miss Lizzy is a bit low in the mix. But NOT complaining:thumbsup: it's too much fun....

ShowsOn likes this.
  14. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

What level is the crowd noise at? I remember listening to the original and couldnt get past the screaming girls, and boys I suppose being so up in the mix.

15. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

An epic release. The new disc captures the live power of the band. The excitement. The grit. I smiled throughout my 4-5 listens yesterday/today. Felt as if I was transported to the Bowl in '64-65.

It's too bad they didn't perform and record a show in '69. We would have two great releases, one with songs from '66-69.

16. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Well said +2.

I bought the original vinyl on the day of release and loved the energy but found it a shrill listen. I've been blasting this all morning and the energy is doubly there, with the shrillness toned down. Really, really enjoying this (and have tickets to see the film with a group of friends on Friday night).

ShowsOn and Clanceman like this.
  17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

From all I've been reading, I thought the sound was going to be better thanks was. I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was going to be revelatory.

Todd W. likes this.
  18. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

Look for the UK pressing of the original. It sounds better than the US one. This recording almost demands analog playback.

Alex D. likes this.
  19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Fair enough: the minority over here still buys music on an inferior and dead format.

What I said was a reaction to the silly statement that iTunes or Spotify isn't a true listening experience. Now, that is derogatorial.

coffeetime likes this.
  20. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Never heard a live Beatles concert before until now! What was the reasoning for not including the full performance? Too many tecnical problems?

21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Technical and performance problems. Caused by them not having any kind of fold back speakers. Like a small bar band setup but with the pa speakers far removed from them And up against 17000 screaming kids.

dee and joannenugent like this.
  22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Wait a minute.....:laugh:

You seem to recognize something as derogatory...and then talk about a medium that is "inferior and dead" ? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Far from dead and maybe inferior, digitally speaking, to a HiRez file that has good dynamics intact. But certainly not inferior to iTunes or Spotify.

23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yea, but as far as I know he didn't TELL Apple/EMI/Capitol NOT to release anything from the vaults. I put together a nice and concise Live Project this morning. Using obvious sources like Sweden '63. Royal Variety Show, BBC live audience, Blackpool Night Out, Ed Sullivan, Paris 1965, Shea, and a few tunes from Budokan, along with the rooftop and it's a REAL nice listening experience. Giles could not object to this based on sound quality alone. Nothing wrong with good-sounding mono. In fact, I prefer the mono 1964 Hollywood Bowl. It sounds good. Oh well, Ron

24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Were there a major copyright differences between the first Live at the BBC, its second incarnation and Volume 2? MPL could have purchased more of the the songs The Beatles covered. Twenty years is enough time to acquire those which were not MPL owned.

25. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Can't find this anywhere. Did they reequalize it or find some better copy of the master tape or 2 track mixdown?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.