Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Petrofsk, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

As I was listening to this last night, John starts singing and I think to myself, "Yeah, John is my favorite rock singer of all time", but then Paul starts slinging it and I think to myself, "Wait a minute, Paul kills,.ultimately he's gotta be my favorite rock singer ever", but then John starts singing again, and....:laugh:

But.. then Ringo starts singing and I think to myself, "Man, that Ringo is my favorite rock....drummer." :p

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

How unbelievable is it that the two greatest songwriters are also the two greatest singers and they were in the same freaking band.

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

And yet ... my favorite track on the album has always been "Roll Over Beethoven". Go figure.

4. Glenn Christense

Yes, it's totally unbelievable actually.
    Their story is one of the few stories in the history of the world where everything went right and fell into place. :D

That's why their story really was a magical mystery tour . Nothing can be so right, can it?

5. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Forum Resident

George totally kills it, both vocally and with his solo. DYNAMITE

No Bull, Paperback Writer and RayS like this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Forum Resident

My face is sore from smiling!

This should absolutely be a #1 album!

I wonder does Giles Martin truly understand what he has done? Beatles fans all over the world should be more than happy!

This is already one of my all time fave live albums!

Ringo's drumming in the song Boys is just awesome!

I'm going to buy two more copies of this album, because I know already that I'm going to wear it out!

7. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Not sure I've ever seen the green bell bottoms and red shirts wardrobe. Are there pictures online??

8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

One lucky thing for Ringo, he had 3 of the best vocalists in the business singing behind him. Oh and he was a great drummer.

9. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I'm enjoying Ringo's drumming on this more than anything else.

10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing!! That's amazing, have you seen any solo Beatles shows since?

I've seen Paul, and that was amazing enough, I can't imagine all FOUR Beatles in concert! Great stuff.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  11. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I have to admit that I sometimes forget about "She's A Woman" because I usually just flip through their core album(I haven't made playlists with Beatles music, will have to change that) but I LOVE IT when I hear, one of my favorite Beatles songs, sounds amazing on this.

All the Beatles sound great on this album, I didn't think I'd listen to it very much when it was coming out but I've been playing it nonstop this weekend!

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  12. Glenn Christense

Plenty but I hate having to Google photos using my phone and then get them to photobucket to post them here . Too big of a pain. My laptop is jazzed up.

I've read that for some reason they only wore the red shirts with the green suits at my show on the 1966 US tour. The rest of the tour they wore those white shirts with a floral pattern or whatever they were with the green suits . The suit coats were double
    breasted . I'm sure you can find pictures online.
    P.S.Here's the same suits and shirts in Japan. The suits look black in this picture but they are actually forest green or whatever a dark green is called .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  13. Glenn Christense

You are welcome .
    I've seen Paul with Wings in 1976, once in 1989, twice in 1990, and once in 1994.

I saw George in 1974.

No solo John or Ringo.

14. maccafan

maccafan Forum Resident

She's A Woman is one of my very fave performances on the album, it is bad to the bone!

One of the things I really like about that particular performance is Lennon's rhythm playing! I know it's just a simple stroke he is doing but it just drives the song! McCartney's vocal is just stellar!

Being able to really hear is just so fantastic! I can't give this album enough praise, it just sounds so good!

I say yet again, with what Giles Martin has done, this is now an epic essential Beatles album and it should be #1!

15. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

How many copies did they have ? When I bought mine Friday, they only had 3 total.

905 likes this.
  16. pobbard

pobbard The CD is a pretty good format (ducks)

Yup, right next to my copies of ON AIR and 1+...

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Forum Resident

don't have tons to say.. bought it last night, listened to it twice today.
    sounds good as can be.. very energetic.. i can't think of the show going on much longer,.. seems draining as hell.
    who would have thought "Boys" would be the highlight? what a jam.
    very glad this is finally on CD.
    they're probably asking themselves "what took us so long?"
    solid release.

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Agitation: Dead Crimson Cow. Amon.

Ticket to Ride
    Dark Star-->
    Honey Don't-->
    Dark Star-->
    I'm Down

Seems a tad unlikely for a set closer sequence, but the possibility is indeed intriguing. :nyah:

19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I've been adjusting to the new sound and I'm enjoying it.

It's so stingey, though. It should be a 2-disc set of all the recorded performances at the venue.

The Beatles are too stingey with the live stuff.

Beatles fans and other consumers understand about the sound quality deficiencies, the adverse recording conditions, the crowd noise. We know about that and we don't care. So just release the stuff already.

20. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Why make one when there's already one available! ;) (Now with the Hollywood Bowl tracks) The Ultimate: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, a playlist by Robert Romero on Spotify ยป

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  21. Ringo is kickin ass from beginning to end

wiseblood, Rocco, Terry and 2 others like this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

@mjsokes had some great play-like-Lennon videos posted on Youtube several years back that garnered a rightfully enthusiastic following here, and PaulKTF quoted an mjsokes line in a post in another thread in 2009:
    At least where certain songs are concerned, I think that's the key ingredient!

23. Boy they are tight! The energy! They kick it! Monumental release. Punk n Roll!!!

dlokazip, jumpinjulian and ShowsOn like this.
  24. winston32

winston32 Forum Resident

Thanks. I used to think it was "Oh we're alright live, aren't we?". They certainly were :)

RayS likes this.
  25. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

Just had a listen to flac ripped from CD, with JRiver 19 to E-MU0404 with headphones (Yamaha Pro HD400).

Initial impressions actually disappointing. I qualify that by acknowledging that I haven't listened to the vinyl (which I bought upon release in 1977) in a long, long time. It needs a good clean before I can again.

They've done a decent job cleaning it up, they really got clarity on the drums.

The crowd didn't immediately strike me as been lower in the mix than the original and even if they are, perhaps the crowd should have been mixed down lower considering they managed to seperate the crowd noise.

The most disappointing thing is the Bass, it sounds, IMO, horrible. Its not about its prominence in the mix, its the sound! It doesn't sound like McCartney's bass guitar or indeed a bass guitar in general, just some digital mush. Unfortunately the bass is central to The Beatles sound.

This reminded me that I wasn't particularly impressed with the sound of the bottom end, particularly bass guitar on the +1 remixes.

I will eventually get around to cleaning and needle dropping my original vinyl to Hi Res (24/192), I will be curious to hear how the two match up.

bluesbro and JamesLord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.