Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Don`t you think that disc is warped? Anyhow picture discs are really bad man for quality sound. :blah::blah::blah:

slane likes this.
  2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

RIMSHOT!!

3. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I hadnt listened for a long time, but just went and heard something on YouTube.

Whatever recording it is, for the first few songs, there are no McCartney vocals (no George as well I guess)

The mix seems to be bass and drums centered, guitars right and vocals left.

Notable things:

John and George really played well together. When they were both playing straight Rhythm it was a driving sound.

Like most live bands, the first few songs of a performance are pretty well balanced with all players letting the others be heard. Then you get the inevitable volume war, typically started by the guitars, and the balance starts to go to crap. (This was probably exacerbated by the audience screaming too)

Interesting that early on you can hear all of Ringo's parts, but he gets drowned out after a half dozen songs or so. It's a shame because he was such a great live player. Wouldn't it have been great to have heard the Beatles with the live sound systems available to the Who or Stones in the early 70's ?

For me I can live easily with the Beatles breaking up, but it is such a shame that we never heard how great they were live, with "The RoofTop" being just a little taste.

4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The October 1963 Stockholm concert reveals how great they were live IMO.

5. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Hm. I still have my LP (and an unofficial CD). I'm hoping for a box set of The Beatles live but yeah yeah yeah I would like to see this one and "A Collection of Oldies (but Goldies)" reissued. And hey, "From Then to You: The Beatles' Christmas Album".

6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

If they ever did release the Hollywood bowl concerts on CD I would be all over it.

I've always said they should and could release a live Beatles anthology album.

Really can't believe this hasn't been done?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. Unless it's going to be full of bonus material and has improved sound I may pass. The original 1977 vinyl is my least played Beatles title.

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And if that proves to be false, we will be discussing "tunnels" tomorrow...

Or maybe "walls" would be more Beatles-centric:

[​IMG]

;)

9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I may be one of those few Beatles-fans who don't give a donkey's about a live-album from the screaming-girls-at-jet-engine-volume-era. I'd buy that bridge any day over "Hollywood Bowl" or "Candlestick Park". How much is it?

PH416156 likes this.
  10. that's why I like my 3cd set off all the shows I gots everything

vmajewsk and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Okay already. Can you all stop calling me? ... ;)

The Beave likes this.
  12. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

We'll see if this comes about or not. I'd say it's about time. I'd be happy if it does!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Your fault. You shouldn't have let anyone know you have a fine bridge to sell.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Further Update:
    W**blog (I just can't repeat his nickname any longer) has updated his site again and now he says that Tuesday (tomorrow) is really the day that Ron Howard will be cooking on the Rachel Ray TV Show and he'll be making all types of Beatles quiches.

This is a joke. I really don't know what to believe---except Yoko and me; and that's reality... ;)

15. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

Will they also be making digestive biscuits and if so will Yoko be barred from entering the studio

Arnold Grove likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Her bed is already in the studio... ;)

theMess, Digital-G and jeighson1 like this.
  17. Tuesday's ; no longer new release day.

18. Arnold Grove

BUT:
    Monday's: Crazy Rumors Day at the Steve Hoffman Music Forums

19. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

There is going to be a lot of Beatle egg on a lot of Beatle-fan faces when this Great Pumpkin lands.....

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I thought it was 427*-6922 ;)

*Garston

21. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Whatever you do, don't write a book about your experiences.
    Yoko and thee maybe a reality but I don't want to hear the details.

But if you ever put your experiences into song lyrics (don't want to hear those either) here are some potential song titles.
    No Bed for Wavertree Arnie
    Arnie feels like smashing his face into a clear glass window.
    Hell in Paradise.

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

But we've got the most SINCERE Beatle collections of anyone in the Beatle patch!

[​IMG]

Dave, fmfxray373 and Johnny Reb like this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I'd find this more interesting, if Beatles Hollywood Bowl hadn't already been released. 39 years ago. The BBC recordings sound good , showcasing them live. This seems much ado about very little.

Why don't they just take 15-18 of the best live tracks they can find from 64-66 & release it as Beatles live, or Eight Days A Week. To coincide with the movie .

25. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

This is a pretty big deal, assuming the rumors are true. The 1977 LP was excellent, and the 1996 release of "Baby's In Black," from the '65 Hollywood Bowl shows, demonstrated just how good those tapes can sound when nicely mixed and mastered. I think the performance of "Baby's In Black" is also better than most of what we got on the 1977 album, too. It's amazing to me that particular song didn't make the cut for the original LP.

One thing that always bothered me: I think the 1964 version of "Twist And Shout" is a significantly, and obviously, better performance than the 1965 version. Can't understand why they opted for the '65 version when they compiled the 1977 LP. Maybe it was simply because George Martin he wanted the second song to be "She's A Woman," from '65, rather than "You Can't Do That," from '64, and by using the '65 version of "Twist And Shout" it eliminated the need for editing and transitioning between the two... Overall, all of the band's 1964 shows are much less ragged than any of their 1965 concerts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.