Beatles meeting Oct '69, where's the tape?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YpsiGypsy, Jul 16, 2018.

1. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Yes it was and I have the tape, selling it on ebay to the highest bidder:D

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D If the alleged tape was real...and made public, yep, we'd know it.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It's possible but the entire point of podguy's comments is that Lennon, the same guy who declared he wanted a divorce in September, was suggesting the band record another album subsequent to the release of Abbey Road. This time giving Harrison an equal number of songs.

Podguy isn't vaguely mixing up dates. He's specifically stating there was the September divorce and now there is another private meeting (without Klein). 4 Beatles and a Neal.

4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident Thread Starter

In a meeting like this and with their recent history I'd say yes, I don't think he was BSing.
    On past Beatles albums no, going into this new phase yes and I'm glad McCartney and Harrison vetoed it.
    Could you imagine how bad those albums would have been? Preachy dirge song followed by saccharin syrup song followed by a Yoko/Mommy cry song followed by,...Ringo what would you have done?
    I do think George Martin might have quit, they would probably be all self produced.

Bluesman Mark and Choba b CCCP like this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I believe it was the accumulation of many factors that lead to the whole thing collapsing - Apple, Yoko, drugs, Paul's lack of self awareness, you name it, it's probably a factor.

What propelled Paul to "announce"? From an artistic/creative standpoint I am pretty convinced it was the success of Instant Karma as a big hit single in early 1970. This could easily have been part of a double A side Beatles single, had Ringo and Paul been in London when JL was hot to record. I've no doubt Ringo would've drummed on it; George is already on it; given JL's unpredictable judgement at the time, who knows if he would've rung up Paul? And would Paul have gone?

Significant: it is not until a few weeks after Instant Karma is established as a major hit does Paul McCartney stop the quaint home studio stuff and instead books Abbey Road studio to record Maybe I'm Amazed, Every Night and Man We Was Lonely. He might have been tempted to release the first two as a single. But I think its pretty clear that Paul was responding to the situation, musically. As it was, these songs stick out like a sore thumb on the McCartney album from a quality and sonic standpoint and I think stands as the first post Beatles musical example of the interesting Paul vs John rivalry that frankly should've/could've continued as a partnership had other factors been mitigated. The first "answer" songs - not so much lyrically but more, "anything you can do, I can do as well, if not better." Would be an interesting few years in the early 70's.

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Knowledgeable as they are, I think the guys on Fabcast live in a complete fantasy land.

7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I've been a Beatles fanatic and amateur scholar for over 30 years and have never heard any inkling of either this meeting or the purported tape of it...I call BS (for

8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Maybe, if they went the double-album route. Supposedly John was impressed by George's Abbey Road songs. John seemed to like the White Album approach better than their other albums. With all their 1969-70 material that ended up on solo album, they definitely had another double album between them that was up to the White Album level of quality.

Paulwalrus and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

George definitely would've outshined John and Paul had they made another album. I get that Plastic Ono Band is viewed as a classic, and it's an incredibly important album in understanding John's life story, but admit it, most of it wouldn't have made great Beatles tracks. And other than "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Every Night", Paul didn't have much lying around either that was Beatles-caliber. There was enough for a solid single LP though, but a double would've really been stretching it, unless George suddenly got equal songwriting space.

10. Perhaps the rejection of Cold Turkey as a possible Beatles song played a part of that. Lennon was notoriously mercurial and would change his mind fairly rapidly during this period.

Paulwalrus, andrewskyDE and theMess like this.
  11. Actually Paul did. Some of it ended up on Ram, some, like Another Day became a McCartney single. Beyond stuff that was mentioned and demoed, etc. we don’t know exactly how much material Paul truly had that ended up on various solo albums. Paul still had quite a few aces up his sleeve even if he didn’t show all of his cards with McCartney. I would disagree that POB doesn’t measure up to George’s material on All Things Must Pass. Both are great albums but one is about spiritual redemption (possibly the easier to relate to) whereas Lnnon’s Was about emotional redemption and freedom from his past. George had more songs stockpiled at the time certainly and more quality songs than John did.

12. walrus

I don't think he had the good songs from "Ram" yet by late '69. Honestly "Too Many People" and "Back Seat Of My Car" are the only ones from that era I think would've made great Beatles songs.

I actually think John's album is much more relatable than George's weird religion stuff, but ATMP sounds so amazing that it doesn't really matter what the lyrics are about. :laugh:

13. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

"Back Seat of My Car" was presented during the Get Back sessions to the other Beatles on 14 January 1969.

14. walrus

Well, okay, so he'd have had like 4 or 5 good songs going post-Abbey Road.

I think the early McCartney solo stuff has a certain charm to it, but a very small percentage of it would've been worthy of making a Beatles record, particularly an Abbey Road follow-up. There was plenty there to work with, just not a double album's worth. (IMO)

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

If they were going to do another album, maybe they would have written different songs. Songs that as they didn't do that album, do not exist.

16. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

No, in '69 John points out his unwillingness to spend another 6 months making another double album. While he may have been pleased with the result he was not willing to spend the time in took to make another one.

He's also unhappy with the amount of space he has one the albums so overall I don't think he'd be willing to concede even more, though with John's mercurial nature i can see him agreeing with it one meeting only to change his mind the next day.

17. YpsiGypsy

Mark Lewisohn said it best, they came together at just the right time and they broke up at just the right time.

aina, e.s., D.B. and 7 others like this.
  18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Agreed. Especially when one considers that had they stayed together, we would've only wound up with less music than what we got from four solo artists.

D.B. and MitchLT like this.
  19. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I could see any of these songs being on a Beatles album:

Maybe I'm Amazed
    Every Night
    Junk
    Teddy Boy
    That Would Be Something
    Man We Was Lonely
    Hot as Sun
    Another Day
    The Backseat of My Car

More than enough for some album tracks and a B-side.

20. YpsiGypsy

If Maybe I'm Amazed would have been given the full Beatles touch it would have been the biggest single by anyone ever.

BellaLuna, aina, javilu77 and 10 others like this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

John changed his mind like the wind, so it's entirely plausible that one day he decided he wanted to make some decisions at Apple and be the one to come up with the idea for the next record so he called everyone together....

It's a fascinating idea (one that Pink Floyd employed for the studio portion of Ummagumma actually, released Nov 69...maybe John got wind early of what the Floyd were about to release?)

It could have come out on the ZAPPLE label. It would have been a bit like a modern "mix tape" from a hip hop artist. Something different than a regular studio album, like a lesser stop-gap release.

Maybe this was John's way of trying to have his cake and eat it, too, and also a way of getting "Cold Turkey" recorded and out soon, which he was hot to trot to do.

If Each Beatle had been given 10 minutes to make their own music alone (or with their chosen collaborators, i.e. Yoko, Clapton, etc) then compile it onto a record, that would have been weird but a unique experiment. John and George on Side 1. Paul and Ringo on Side 2.

What would Ringo have done?!? Some kind of looped drums and beats might have been awesome to hear, or just real drug music. Paul probably would have done "Every Night", "Junk" and "Teddy Boy" in the fall of 1969. John would have done "Cold Turkey" plus "Oh My Love" (which he had since 68). George might have done a few of the more acoustic, solo tunes that ended up on All Things Must Pass, or like his solo demo of the title track which ended up on Anthology...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Side note -- the interview with Jack Douglas that these guys conducted in episode #16 is completely fascinating! I recommend it to every BeatlesGeek around here.

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  23. YpsiGypsy

yep and Episode 004 RAM And The Rest Of The Universe, highly recommend it also

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  24. beatleroadie

I always took this to be George's tongue in cheek sarcasm, referring to John as "no longer with us" meaning (dead), i.e. He's always with Yoko doing things instead of with the band and he's not even at this session right now as I'm singing. I never took that to mean John is out of the group completely. Not sure George would have been joking about that in that way as he clearly got heated with John's lethargic lack of involvement during the Get Back sessions. John was in Europe with Yoko doing peace campaigns in early 1970. It's not like he was down the street refusing to record as The Beatles.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  25. beatleroadie

Link?