Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The Beatles mono box set is a thing of beauty. All of the effusive praise it has received is well-deserved. You are in for much more than a "treat"!
    Needless to say, I certainly consider it essential!
    Of course, the stereo CDs are a nice compliment, but I think you will find yourself spinning those gorgeous mono LPs more.

2. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Great to read, thanks! The AAA treatment won me over, and NM/VG+ mono originals are hard to find here in Holland (and definitely at a good price...).

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

It will be the best present you ever gave yourself! Best reissue ever.

4. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

DO NOT CANCEL!!! This is a must buy if you like vinyl. Best purchase I have ever made with not a single bit of regret, not even the tiniest bit. I love it!!!
    Enjoy it DBMartin!!!

FashionBoy, mrgroove01 and DBMartin like this.
  5. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Fantastic, sounds like this casual Dutch Beatles fan is about to become much more dedicated!

6. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Thanks, I'm very happy to read all these positive remarks, looks like a good purchase right now!

Clonesteak likes this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Absolutely essential! The most essential record purchase you may ever make!

Clonesteak and DBMartin like this.
  8. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Thanks, makes me feel a whole lot more confident about my purchase!

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Definitive for those albums, -PLUS the Mono Masters album is pretty awesome.

You think having all the albums are overkill, but they're all fantastic. The band clearly evolved with each album, but consider that each album was the leading edge of the pop/rock genre. If you want to be a bit studious about it, you can study what else was going on in western music and what was going on in the world at the time of each release, to give it some context.

As a really nice bonus, there's a beautiful, thick, hard bound book included exclusively with the box.

I doubt you'll have any remorse for buying it.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have been listening to my mono versions this week. I couldn't be happier with these records.

11. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Thank you for your insightful reply, I was also planning on listening to these records in that context, and I'm hoping it will impress me accordingly.

12. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Good to know that these are records that people are returning to!

13. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I like The Rolling Stones more...

davesmoked likes this.
  14. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

A good deal. A bought mine for 370€ when it was released in 2014 ....
    But for 2018 the price is really good.

davesmoked and DBMartin like this.
  15. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Thought so too, I see much higher asking prices for mint copies all over the internet. Of course I've bought this for the music and the sound, but it would also be interesting to see what this beautiful set will be worth in 10 or 20 years from now...

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  16. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Hi
    I wanted to ask your advice for a fair price (Euro) for the following mono vinyl set which I have a chance to buy. The defects are

• Box is not severely damaged but has numerous dents. Outer slip case ripped.
    • Silicon bag split in transport and the balls of silicon fell in the box and left round indents on the box, book, past masters and white album.
    • White album disc two is warped but plays through
    Thanks.

17. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

I looked on Discogs and a NM /VG+ box is going for $649 US. So I factored in the defects you outlined and I’d say £400 seems fair which is around $450 US. You might want to replace the White Album at some point and I think that’s close to or already is out of print.

timnor likes this.
  18. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

Bought a copy of Revolver. Not to flip but I’m going to keep it sealed and give it to my daughter when she’s older. She’s 2 now.

19. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Was Rubber Soul pressed more than the rest? I keep seeing it every once in a while -and continue buying it, I have like 6 copies.

20. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Just finished playing "Sgt. Peppers" from the 2014 mono vinyl box set, and I must say it sounds really good. After comparing it to my original Capitol mono release of the same name, it does sound a lot better (because Capitol used second or third generation copies of the master tapes?), but I am surprised to say that the vinyl of the 1967 album is actually quieter than the 2014 vinyl. And the 1967 vinyl has had a lot more plays

21. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Strange. I have played 2 2014 Mono Pepper's and both copies have been dead silent wax wise.

FashionBoy and CraigBic like this.
  22. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Same, I've got one from the box and one single and they are incredibly quiet. Among the best I have in my collection.

SteevG likes this.
  23. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Perhaps they meant the actual sound of the music on the record is quieter.

SteevG likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Why?

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Rubber Soul, Revolver, the White Album and Mono Masters were available in most market for the last five years. They are still around at retail here in Japan, but are starting to dry up.

I’m pretty sure that these titles were manufactured in larger quantities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.