Beatles Mono Vinyl..why so expensive now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am guessing this might be to do with them being sold out.

But surely EMI/Apple could just print more copies. I know the tapes might not be in great shape but this is Apple, they constantly flog The Beatles no matter how they can.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

No digital, they were AAA. And yes out of print.

3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

In all likelihood, Apple/EMI feel the cost of a repress is not warranted by the market for them : a repress costs money and copies were available for quite some time.
    Remixes are where it's at.

saborlord123 and Echoes Myron like this.
  5. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

They're expensive because these were the closest equivalent to getting an original mono copy in mint condition, which is pretty much impossible. Obviously, they were a more limited run than most people expected when they came out, and now that they're gone, the prices have appreciated accordingly.

I think if Apple/UME had any plans to keep these in print, they would have been restocked by now. Its a niche market, and there probably isn't much advantage for them repressing again.

6. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

It is pretty clear if you read this thread that the prices are due to quality and the unlikelihood of a re-release. They are now OOP and they are unique.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I waited almost a year until I could find a sale for them under $300 for the box. Now they are double the price. They were AAA release after they digitized the catalog to preserve the recordings. It was obvious to me this was a single shot pressing. It seems like I was correct.

8. Further

Further Forum Resident

Every time I put on one of these records, it’s a delight and I’m so grateful that I bought the box when it was available at a reasonable cost. It’s one of the greatest things in my collection.

There was lots of opportunity to grab one, I mean it’s The Beatles, do you really have to sleep on it?

9. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

These were that good. Crisp, clear, clean pressings from Germany, come on. Won't happen again.

10. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I waited for awhile on this because I had the cd box but fortunately bought one in 2016 here on the forum for $250. Thank goodness because it really is awesome.

A thread I just read from 2016 had people saying there were 1 million copies and he readily available. I think we are seeing that there is no way there were 1 million copies.

11. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i am glad i got 4 stand alone copies of the 2014 vinyl. i think the one's are not the most in demand but the one's i wanted in vinyl "the beatles" "for sale" "mmt" and past masters. i also have the earlier mono box on CD and love it as well.

ODShowtime likes this.
  12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The only albums that still can be found are Revolver, Rubber Soul and the White Album.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Around June 2014 this trailor got me so pumped to save funds for the soon to be released mono 2014 Fabs vinyl box.

minkahed, musicfan37, mpayan and 15 others like this.
  15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

There is already an 128 page thread on this

Ignatius likes this.
  16. Diorama

Yes , they are niche but I am sure EMI did a direct copy of the tapes to newer tapes. Maybe I'm wrong, sure it would alter the sound but it wouldn't alter them so much that an experience engineer could have replicate sound

cakeordeath likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

It would be sweet if they reissued the albums again as stand alones. I'm sure the metal work is still available to create new stampers as this was a limited run.

BDC, AlmanacZinger and Dr. Funk like this.
  18. Diorama

For sure, its Apple once they know they can make money they will sell it to you.
    If there was a demand for Beatles French Letters they would sell em.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I actually saw a sealed copy of Mono Masters a couple of weeks ago. That was actually the first time I'd seen *that*one individually since the box set came out.

minkahed and Tommyboy like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, you’re right. Mono Masters is out there too.

StateOfTheArt and DK Pete like this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love your avatar. Mcgoohan was the man. ;)

Diorama likes this.
  22. StateOfTheArt

You're right - we are kind of beating a dead horse here. But we are at the SHF.. :laugh:

Anyway, IMO - if you're just starting out with vinyl. Do yourself a favor, search these out for reasonable prices. When you see one, if you haven't already, grab it. If its ridiculous, be patient wait for a good price. Most of these copies all sold for $22 dollars at one time (if you can believe it). Mono Masters was $50. And the White Album was $30 (I think). Paying $200+? No. I would attempt NM originals before that. I see them for good prices all of the time.

Oh, one more thing, still waiting for Beatles in AAA Stereo on 180g - One can dream. Or many?

23. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Oh, one more thing, still waiting for Beatles in AAA Stereo on 180g - One can dream. Or many?[/QUOTE]

Seeing as it would make little or no sense to do a remix, I think it's pretty likely that part of the hype for next year's 50th Anniversary release of Abbey Road will be AAA stereo vinyl.

OptimisticGoat and hi_watt like this.
  24. StateOfTheArt

Seeing as it would make little or no sense to do a remix, I think it's pretty likely that part of the hype for next year's 50th Anniversary release of Abbey Road will be AAA stereo vinyl.[/QUOTE]
    Well - they should have been doing that all along IMO. I'm just a musician, not an engineer - I am sure it's difficult to remix and get a AAA product from 50 year old tapes. But - this is the Beatles we are talking about. If Giles can't do it (not knocking his work), get someone who can and let him sit in and be a project manager or something.

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.