Beatles Mono Vinyl..why so expensive now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onder

Onder Senior Member

What extensive repair? The 2014 mono's were done analog, there's not much you can do to restore the audio in analog domain. The only physical repair was done to Please Please Me master where the splices were in bad shape and safety copy was made to cut the LP. But the tape containing the audio itself being in perfect shape. In fact, the the 2014 LP's were done with less or no bass roll down. The bass taming was done in the 60's to prevent the needles from jumping. So the 2014's are in fact closer to the master tapes.

2. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

To my taste 1963 3rd press mono (Y&B Parlophone with extra 33 1/3 on the label) sounds better than 2014 reissue.
    2014 "Please Please Me" actually is the only one by which I wasn't that impressed.

3. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

If anyone missed some issues....will gladly oblige

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

L

4. I guess you didn't read the articles about the extensive repair and prep they went through while making the 2014 LP's. Tapes that old always have a bonding problem and there were dropouts. You just can't take a decades-old tape off the shelf and play it. Because of all the criticisms of the mono CD box, which was closest to pulling the tapes off the shelf and playing them, for the LP mono box, they were extra careful and corrected the problems they could with the master tapes.

5. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Can you explain, how you can fix tape dropout while you're cutting in analog domain? Impossible, unless you use safety copies which is not what they did.
    You seem to be confused. It's the mono CD box set that has been restored. Hiss removed, lip smacking removed etc.
    One clear example is Run For Your Life.
    There is a very loud mic thump during the guitar solo which was removed for the CD set using Cedar retouch.
    But it's present on the vinyl set as there is no way how to remove that when you're going directly from tape to cutting lathe.

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If this is true, and I recall reading something to this effect when the vinyl mono box came out, that makes it all the more likely they’ll never go back to the original master tapes again and cut new all-analog reissues. Maybe they still have the mothers from the 2014 mono box, and could squeeze more mono pressings out of those, but I doubt they’re ever going to pull the stereo or mono Beatles master tapes for another shot at new analog cuttings of any of the albums.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

What are you on about? So now we are tearing down the much loved mono vinyl box? Give me a break.

Man at C&A, obi and SteveM like this.
  8. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I think he was referring to some of the splices having to be re-done. I don't recall any other restoration efforts.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I think I recall reading that the Please Please Me tapes were in the worst shape in terms of splices falling apart. Which kind of makes sense as they’re the oldest.

FashionBoy likes this.
  10. minglewood

minglewood Life is A Carnival

When, in a generation or so, a radio-active, cigar-smoking child, picnicking on Saturn, asks what the Beatles In Mono 2014 vinyl affair was all about, the kids of AD 2000 will shrug, and say, "We could never afford to find out".

11. No, not confused at all. With all the bad press over the mono CD boxed set, when they decided to do a vinyl LP version, they took more care and repaired the flaws and damage to the master tapes. Cedar Retouch? I haven't heard about that process for awhile. I remember lot's of complaints about it. According to Cedar Audio, it is discontinued.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Unless they can figure out some kind of newer advanced mastering process, there is no reason that they would have to pull the master tapes again. Depending on how many lacquers results in the number of fathers that can be made. Each lacquer master can only make one father. Then, from the father, up to 4 mother's can be made. Each mother can make up to six stampers.
    In the three-step metal mastering process around 100,000 records can be pressed.
    So, you know, that for every side of a record usually a new father and a new mother are kept in the archives for later use.

Now, as an example, Acoustic Sounds acquired Classic Records and with that, also acquired all the metal masters that were in CR's archives. These included ones that CR never got past the test pressing phase. So, now Acoustic Sounds is re-issuing many CR titles, using the same metal parts made at RTI from lacquers that were mastered by people like Bernie Grundmann and Kevin Gray. If you look in the deadwax of a QRP-pressed re-issue of former CR releases, you will see the RTI number and Bernie or Kevin's mark.

So, UMe can re-issue another mono Beatles LP box anytime it feels the need and the original tape masters can remain on the shelf deteriorating. Now, UMe is in business to make money and will not re-issue anything that they predict won't make them money. It was hard getting rid of the initial release so I doubt that they will put it out again anytime soon. The current prices are being driven by supply and demand. But are they actually selling or are were just seeing the prices sellers want to get for them? I don't know if you remember, but Acoustic Sounds came up with some new mono boxes not that long ago and I believe sold them for $600. each.

13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yeah, like they've sold us Beatles at Shea Stadium DVD so many times over the years. Man, I wish they'd let it be.

14. VUDSM

VUDSM Senior Member

Please provide a link to these articles. The book that came with the Mono Box clearly states that the only tape they had a problem with was Please Please Me and that the rest of the albums were cut direct from the master tapes. The book also states that they chose to use a Studer A80 tape machine rather than a BTR tape machine to ensure there was no damage to the master tapes.

Further, the book states " Their labours were helped enormously by the fact that the mono master tapes of the original UK albums were in excellent condition".

The quote above from Onder is exactly what is stated in the book and also the press releases at the time.

obi, john lennonist, Easy-E and 2 others like this.
  15. Onder

Onder Senior Member

You are confused, obviously.
    There's not much you can do about repairing the tapes when you're cutting in analog domain.
    I gave you one an example. Original mono mix of Run For Your Life has a mic thump during the guitar solo. It's present on the 2014 vinyl version and removed on the 2009 CD version. Now, which of the two is the restored/repaired? Yes, it's the CD version. There's no way how to repair this when you're cutting all analog from the master tapes. It's simple as that.

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Thanks for the lecture about how making records works. As I said in my original post you quoted, if they still have the mothers from the first pressing, they can press more records from them. By making more stampers from them.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  17. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

This is exactly what I was going to say. If what I've read is true, the Please Please Me mono master is on the verge of falling apart. 1 or 2 more plays and it's gone. If they ever release them again on vinyl, I agree they will be digitally sourced.

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I suspect any future Beatles vinyl reissue campaign will be sourced from the 24/192 digital safety copies that were reportedly made years ago. Even if the Sgt. Pepper mono and stereo masters are in better shape than those for Please Please Me, I highly doubt they’re going to keep pulling the original tapes to cut new all-analog lacquers in the future. Not to mention the reality that, for some time, they’ve been pushing the Giles Martin remixes on vinyl.

19. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

Agree.
    Technically though those digitally sourced pressings would still be AAA if we have to use the deprecated SPARS code. Since those albums were recorded and mixed using analog media, the first 2 As are unavoidable. But a vinyl record can never be AAD, since an analog master is needed to replicate analog media (the lacquer in this case). If anything, records sourced from a digital transfer could be called AA(D)A, but it only shows how dated and deprecated the SPARS code stantard is.

Dan The Man1, obi and john lennonist like this.
  20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Instead of speculation why don't one of you contact Sean or someone else at Abby and ask about the plate situation ?
    I've no dog here I bought my box day one but if I was a betting man ide bet they have plates ready to go.
    It would make no business sense not to have xtra plates given all the work involved to bring these to market.
    Ide say there's a good chance of a repress if only because record sales/collecting in general are strong. It just might be a while.

David Matthew Horn likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If I were in the market I dont think Id purchase the box set unless it was opened and the records graded. Better off being patient and slowly searching for the individual lps for sale that are opened and inspected. May cost a little more but man I would be crushed if I paid 1500-2000$ for one of these and got a bum copy or two.

Look, eventhough it may suck that these have went up in price they are still a bargain compared to finding a NM original mono. You wont find those for $150.00. Or whatever these 2014's average out to be now. If one cant manage to grab them quickly then pick three or four a year and in 4-5 yrs youll have a set and be done with it.

I decided before these ever came out and never dreamed they would to collect NM originals. No way could I do that in a short period of time. But I wasnt going to settle for less. Took me 5-6 yrs to do. I think I allowed myself two a year on average. Went with the best guy selling them and just commited. That was way more money than these. Trust me.

So take your time and just do it with these before they even go higher. Or at least pick up 4-5 of your very favorites. I seriously do not see these being repressed any time soon. Stranger things have happened but in Beatleland they work on a different set of rules, time frame and philosophy. A world to its own and unique in the reissue universe. Its possible, but unlikely.

Now, what I wish for is an AAA stereo box with the issues fixed and maybe tame that bass down a tad. But thats about as likely as a repressed mono collection Im afraid.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

They would also probably agree that it smells more like Uranus :p

minglewood likes this.
  23. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

The majors could produce exponentially more pressings than 100,000 from a single set of lacquers.
    Take the original -2/-1 cut of the UK Abbey Road LP for example, stampers number over 500 plated from dozens of mothers, with up to 5,000 pressings per stamper possible.

I agree with you though, if the mono metal masters have been preserved and properly archived there's no reason why the albums would need to be re-cut if, and that's a very big if, it was decided that a reissue was called for.

Easy-E and FJFP like this.
  24. minglewood

minglewood Life is A Carnival

Yeah, the whole no repress so that higher powers can artificially keep prices high for the flippers, and out of the reach of new fans so that snobby people can walk around and say "Poo on you for snoozing and losing", does smell like the planet you choose for me. Hope I don't lose my grade school hall pass over this.

25. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

For the love of all that is good in this world, can we get a repress of the mono vinyl box?

jamiesjamies likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.