Beatles Mono Vinyl..why so expensive now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

Yet, the 87s are the gold standard. That's kind of funny.

I think it could be a good idea. Who knows what kind of shape the stereo masters are in. Now that they're digitized, they're probably locked deep within EMI.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I hear you. They’re not the gold standard for me. I do like Pepper, MMT and Let It Be. Past Masters II is pretty decent.

I’d love to see all AAA stereo reissues done by someone like Sean Magee but I don’t think it’s happening. This is just pure speculation. I have no inside knowledge. Quite honestly, how much better will an album like Revolver sound even if it was an AAA recut? I’m sure it’ll sound better than the 2012 reissue or it’s predecessors, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the SQ will be pristine.

I may be in the minority, but I’d prefer that Giles Martin remix Revolver in the digital realm and Miles Showell cut the LP. With all of the bounce downs, Revolver is a dirty sounding album. It would be a treat to hear the sound open up.

3. StateOfTheArt

I can get on board with that, Rubber soul, and AHDN. Still don't know what to listen to there

Tommyboy likes this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Peeling back the layers and bring certain instruments to stand out in a new Revolver remix. An interesting listen that would be.
    Revolver is one murky album. Even with current or future technology to remix it would take away that dark mystique.

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The mono box was initially going to be cut from digital. I think the complaints from guys like Fremer about the stereo box and as well as SH forum members played a role in the change of strategy. The complaints here were more about the QC of the North American pressings.

Scramble and StateOfTheArt like this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have the originals if I want dark mystique. I don’t think Giles would go off the rails with it.

7. StateOfTheArt

I don't think Abbey road necessarily needs it. But, it is what it is. Revolver would be awesome. I guess we have the German Apple in the meantime.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The 87 cds are certainly not the gold standard for me either. After growing up with the vinyl the cds were a big disappointment.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I agree, a remix isn’t needed. It would be great though if Kevin Gray was given the chance to remaster Abbey Road.

Scramble, Onder and StateOfTheArt like this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Giles Martin making the sound open up - are you kidding? Strangely he did a decent job on the White Album reportedly at second attempt but the Sgt Pepper is loud and compressed even on vinyl. It's quite wearing to listen to though some detail gets pushed forward. I think Revolver would be difficult to remix due to it using live tape effects. Why George M didn't mess with it like he did Help and Rubber Soul in 1987.

Onder likes this.
  11. Onder

Onder Senior Member

In an 1987 interview George Martin did say that Tomorrow Never Knows couldn't be remixed because the tape effects were done on the fly during the mixing stage.
    But in fact the tape effects were recorded straight onto the 4-track tape, not added during the mixing stage. So the song is ready to get remixed at any point without any difficulty.

Ondra

Scramble, Dan The Man1 and Octavian like this.
  12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

:thumbsup:

13. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Wow, didn't realise it had been sat there quietly gathering so much money. Not why I bought it though.

14. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Any physical media is now a luxury item. So is the equipment to play it on - including blu-Ray and dvd.

15. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

You are thinking of cost, not distribution and profit margin...impact on other sales...

16. StateOfTheArt

Ohhhh snap. They need to do this. Someone get Apple on the phone please.

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No I’m not kidding. Just an opinion. And what makes you the authority? You guys are over the top with the bashing! It gets real old.

You know that Revolver sounds terrible don’t you?? Why can’t Giles improve upon the sound? If he did a good enough job with the White Album, I’m confident that he’ll do a fine job with Revolver.

Pepper is in the past and apparently his second attempt at the WA was due to the fact that he wasn’t adventurous enough the first time around.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    StateOfTheArt likes this.
  18. StateOfTheArt

I think the WA is good. Seemed like a little more care went into it. I just obtained my umpteenth copy of Revolver (-1/-1), because it leaves a lot to be desired, hoping I'm not crazy not loving it. The volume levels/gain are all over the place, just sloppy on stereo.

19. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Why don't you try a -2/-2 instead? :)

20. StateOfTheArt

I tried a -3/-4, but I think this album is just better in mono. The best sounding stereo, to my ears, again after AB'ing, shootout after shootout, is the German Apple from the 70's. They definitely have a "house sound" which is pretty pleasing.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

LOL.....an all tube cut LP would NOT cost $600 to the buyer. The Beatles marketing arm knows that people wont pay that much.

22. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

The question is, how many copies? ;)

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Beatles mono CD box would be also be worth a decent amount now except that the Chinese flooded the market with counterfeits. The Chinese aren't counterfeiting the vinyl box, so the real scarcity (relative to demand) is apparent.

SteevG likes this.
  24. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I couldn't even imagine the Mainland Chinese making pirate vinyl. The horror. The last thing any of their presses put out would have been a speech by Mao or some horrible Chinese Opera praising communism.

The Quiet One and Scramble like this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I actually listen to these records and paid for them. Only report on what I hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.