Beatles News from Record Collector

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dugan, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Mikey,

I don't have to know exactly how the Beatles Committee thinks to know that they would not choose a format that far less than 1% of the population even knows exists: DVD-A. Sure, everybody knows DVD, but the two are entirely different animals and you're not going to get hi-rez sound out of a DVD-A if it's played on a plain DVD player.

If the Beatles were to release their recordings on DVD-A, how do you think Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, and dozens of other regular retailers would market these? Would they put them with their DVDs and have thousands of people return them because there aren't movies on them? Would they put them with normal CDs and have thousands of people return them because they wouldn't play on their CD players? Would they have a tiny little section like BestBuy and Tower, that get hardly any attention from most customers?

The Beatles also wouldn't release music only on SACD, because they'd be committing to a market with only a million players sold so far, compared to probably about a billion CD players.

So, it's pretty obvious: They release on SACD hybrid. That way they can have surround for people who want to mess with it, capture the small but dedicated audiophile market, and at the same time be selling to the astronomically bigger CD market. And this takes care of the crucial single inventory matter.

The vast majority of people associate music with CDs, movies with DVDs. I don't see that changing. Especially when you factor in the big market of car players and portables; it's just got to be CD compatible.

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

This would be a great boost to the DVD-A format! I would get them in a minute. I happen to like the format, and frankly wish it would develope faster. (Then again, I was a fan of CD-4!! :D)

For the surround sound haters out there, there would be a hi-rez stereo (or mono) track (not folded down), and for us multi-channel wacko's, we could appreciate both!

One thing is for sure, if there are surround mixes available, no one will be forced to buy them! So, what's the big deal???

:-jon

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

4. RetroSmith

>>>Is there anything in the world of music more ingrained than the titles of the Beatles Lps?

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Beatle fans, yes...but have you ever seen the type of people who buy their DVD's at K-Mart and Wal-Mart? You know, the ones who complain about "those black bars at the top and bottom of the screen"?
    :rolleyes:

6. RetroSmith

>>>>>>>Nahhhhhhhh.

The best selling title in EITHER format, is NOT CD compatible. Thats the DVD-A of "Hotel California".

The proof is in the sales!!!

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Of the handful of titles that EMI has released on DVD-Audio to date. All of them included the high-res 2-channel mix on the DVD-Video portion of the program. This makes it accessible to anyone with a DVD-Video player.

The one slightly sour note was that the "high-res" 2-channel mix on the Al Green DVD-Audio was only 24 bit 48KHz. The others that I have heard or read reviews on have been 24 bit 96KHz. Then again, the Al Green disc sounds pretty good compared to the redbook CD, which is more important than "the specs" anyway. I don't have the DCC to A/B it with, though, although I remember liking it when I heard someone else's copy of it. :)

Anyway, we are reviewing vaporware here. I'll believe it when I see it and I'll review it when I hear it. ;)

Regards,

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

It just means that everyone with the DVD-A gear bought that title, that's all. It's the perfect audiophile/pop fan combo item.

9. RetroSmith

>>>Right!!! Thats what I'm saying. Some of the people here have this thing in their heads that if you dont have an "official" DVD-A player, you "get bad sound" . Nothing could be further from the truth. So many DVD VIDEO players have superior audio decoding (my 1998 player even has 96khz) that the downconverted 5.1 sounds fantastic. I DO this, every day, so I know what I'm talking about. There are people here who have NO Surround system, and yet they knock it !! How can they do that?

10. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Doesn't Sony have an ownership interest in the SACD format?

If so, I don't know if EMI is going to be keen on paying a competing conglomerate to be able to license their technology, when they see a perfectly serviceable alternative (DVD-A) that won't line the coffers of another company.

It reminds me of CBS not wanting to pay RCA/NBC for the use of their color TV standard. Took 'em 10 years to get around to doing it-- and even then, they only did it grudgingly, and only after they'd exhausted their alternatives.

-Kevin

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sony doesn't charge anyone for using DSD/SACD technology. Heck, they are giving it away free!

12. Ken_McAlinden

Doesn't AOL Time-Warner have an interest in the DVD Format? It may not be as direct as Sony's SACD connection, but either way (and whether it is being charged for or not), EMI would be dealing with another media company's patents, right?

Regards,

13. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Well if that's the case, I can vouch for the fact that the "Rumours" DVD-A sounds like dog poop in my DVD video player. So I guess it is dog poop. Or I need another DVD player. As will millions of others.

14. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Yeah-- I'm sure there's nothing the friendly folks in the Abbey Road control rooms would like more than a bunch of strangers coming in with machines that haven't been inspected and tested for two years by official white-coated, card-carrying EMI engineers... :D

And Steve-- thanks for the licensing info-- didn't know that Sony was going the "dope-peddler" route with SACD.

("Oh no, there's no charge for **this** one...")

-Kevin

15. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Just want to point out that Abbey Road has had Sony DSD equipment in last July.

16. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Remember, what EMI wants regarding Beatles products means absolutely nothing unless Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia agree. None of these decisions really have anything to do with the record company, except EMI could suggest something and see how the idea goes over.

Plus, with the exception of the Beatles CDs, Beatles product comes out slowly. Look how many years it took for the Beatles to okay the Anthology on DVD after it had already been out on laserdisc.

And I remember Ringo telling Melody Maker back in around 1972 that the Beatles were thinking of putting out some BBC radio material. Bit of a delay there : )

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Now we'll never get the mono versions of some of thier albums.
    DVD-A? Who's running EMI now, Yoko?

18. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Re: Beatle News from Record Collector

IF they are planning to release 40th anniversary deluxe editions of PPM & WTB in 2003, does this mean they'll release all the other albums on their 40th anniversary? I would hope not! This would mean it take until 2010 before we get the whole remastered catalogue!!!

It would make far more sense to phase the releases of each remastered CD/SACD/DVD-A at different times throughout next year, just as they did in 1987.

19. Ken_McAlinden

Now Now. The Rumors DVD-A was not done by EMI, and all it really offered to DVD-Video players was a 448kbs Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. EMI discs have been including DD 5.1 Mixes, DTS 5.1 Mixes, and advanced resolution stereo on the DVD video program. the only thing you need a DVD-Audio player for with these titles is the lossless MLP 5.1 mixes.

If done right, DVD-video player owners could get a nice package. If done wrong, you get a nice disc....for Triumph the insult comic dog to poop on!!!

:)

20. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I agree: EMI will be going for big volume sales of these discs. They'll want to sell them by the absolute truckload. They HAVE to appeal to the mass-market and that means a format that most can identify with - not some spinoff of a format created predominantly for films as a replacement for VHS.

I simply cannot believe that EMI would plan to release the greatest back catalogue of all time on a format not recognisable to the average CD-buying consumer. I'm sorry but to me that just does not make sense from a commercial point of view. I could be proved wrong IF AND WHEN these releases do actually materialise, but I'd be very surprised if they go the DVD-A route. The hybrid SACD makes far more sense for them commercially, in my view.

21. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Re: Re: Beatle News from Record Collector

Shhh, don't give them any ideas!

22. RetroSmith

>>>NO, No, No!!! Dont you get it? The surround sound releases wont REPLACE the Cds!!! They will be issued to create some additional income for EMI. Its a new toy for EMI, thats all. They will pick up some extra sales from people who want to hear the Fab Four in Surround sound.

I am 100% SURE that EMI will ALSO release new remastered RED BOOK CD versions of all the existing Beatles material mastered in 24 bit/96khz.
    THATS what they will address the Mass Market with.

Will EMI issue Hybrid SACDs with a normal Cd layer and a 5.1 Surround layer?

No.

Thats stupid. Almost no one has a SACD player connected to a 5.1 system.

If you have an SACD player, its connected to a stereo amp for HI REZ TWO channel listening.

The DVD-A disks are NOT replacing the Cds.......get it??

23. RetroSmith

Oh yea...and I almost forgot.....those new Red Book Beatles Cds will be COPY PROTECTED!!!!!!

24. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

So you think we'll get remastered CD's AND DVD-A versions?

25. RetroSmith

YES!!! EMI isnt going to Limit the "Remastered Beatles" to Surround Sound.

After the Surround Sound Project is all over with, EMI will announce "Newly Remasted Beatles Cds" using the
    remasters they are doing right this minute. Master once, release 3X, make money, sonny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.