Beatles Please Please Me Album Stereo Mix- MFSL Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoguy, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

True on the center....I was thinking of "From Me To You" and Johns harmonica. BUT, there is indeed a delay heard of the guitar amp signals bouncing off the
    walls of the studio and getting picked up a split second later by the vocal mics. 99% of it was done live, so there is "bounce off the walls " galore on that album. Listen again.

2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Yes - PPM definitely has that live in the room feel. WTB is still exciting but doesn't have the "air." Even the least overdubbed tracks are kept pretty dry.

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I hardly ever listen to the mono version of PPM.

lukpac, Tullman and marcb like this.
  4. stereoguy

LOL......I hardly ever listen to the Mono Beatles!

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Have you ever noticed the distortion on John's guitar on Chains? The very first time I picked up on that was on the MFSL and now I'm conscious as hell of it. But for all those years, I never picked up on it on The Early Beatles and it's definitely not as evident on Introducing The Beatles which i got a copy of years later.

6. stereoguy

DK: Yes, I've always known about that, but I tend to "listen past it". I just love the Horzu Stereo Vinyl of this album, on my tube based system, its a sonic treat,

DK Pete likes this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I look past it as well and just accept it as the way "it" sounded at the time (for any number of reasons). Now this may sound crazy but.....the other night (based on a comment made by another poster in a related thread), I put on my pretty-decent-shape copy of Introducing The Beatles which I just happened to mention; honestly, i couldn't believe how clean, smooth and rich this record sounded. I'm not comparing it to any of the so-called "audiophile" level versions but far as any of the "regular" pressings of these sogs are concerned (including the PPM album itself), this is among the very best. Check out the PPM song...the roundness and overall fullness is quite impressive.

8. stereoguy

DKPete: Well, that can be true . SOME Vee Jay albums were really well mastered and pressed, others weren't.
    Like " The Golden Hits of The Four Seasons" Lp....sounds teriffic.

Sounds like you have a well mastered version of Introducing The Beatles. Is yours Mono or Stereo? You know, I have never heard a True Stereo Vee Jay copy from 1964.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I own a few Monarch stereo pressings. Both in VG condition. The SQ is pretty good. In fact, I find it to be vastly superior to a 1st stereo pressing of The Early Beatles. It doesn’t better Die Beatles or any UK Parlophone pressing.

10. stereoguy

11. imajindat

imajindat Forum Resident

Sorry if this was already answered in this thread, but I did a search and didnt find anything ---- I just purchased the MFSL box set and while playing PPM, I noticed at the end of the title track where they repeat 'Please please me, whoa yeah...' it sounds like there are some awkwardly placed drums that pop up on the vocal track (right channel). This sounds really off, is this normal for this mix? It's the first time I've heard it.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's the stereo version/mix.

imajindat likes this.
  13. imajindat

imajindat Forum Resident

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying! I just went back and listened to the blue box version of PPM, I guess I never noticed it before., it's more subtle on that one. I feel like its really in your face on the MFSL version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.