Beatles remastering: question for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kipper15, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

As much as I love Steve's work and wish he could have had that project once-upon-a-time, I think it now makes more sense -not- to do gold mono/stereo cds. With the majors hoping for mass acceptance of hi-rez, it seems to me that DVD-A/SACD would be the way to go. My preference would be DVD-A since the visual abilities offer a novel way to present the original artwork as well as potential video content. To put it out as a gold cd would dampen enthusiasm for the hi-rez, IMO. Also, having heard the surround mixes on Anthology, I can't wait for the individual releases...they're gonna be fab, I'm quite certain. I'd like to see Steve get the ok from Apple to author DVD-As of each title and past masters. However I'd totally ditch Hey Jude/Again because it's redundant. To do the UK albums along with Past Masters, mono stereo and 5.1 would just be a dream come true, but I'd take leaving off the mono for the stereo and 5.1 and not get too upset...after all, it's cool to have something unique about the original vinyl:)
    The bonus material could be awesome. Videos for whatever was available from that time, remixed. Lyrics and new liner notes that go into more detail about how each song was recorded along with notes on the inspiration of each track. Previously unseen photos from the archives and personal collection of the fabs. Chart history and art from various countries of the album (and singles from that album) in question. Alternate mixes as bonus tracks. The mind boggles at the thought:)

2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I'd be happy just with the music (original releases) sounding as good as it possibly could.

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This has been gone over here before!

Draw a circle on paper. Ready? OK. Divide into these parts:

Giant advance money
    Capitol Special Markets profit
    EMI UK Profit
    John Estate profit
    George profit
    Paul profit
    Ringo profit
    Neil & Apple profit
    Publishing
    Mastering at Abbey Road expense
    Publicity
    EMI controlled manufacturing.

How much of the circled "pie" is left for DCC?

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

With all of the pie filling going to ex-Beatles/Apple/EMI/Capitol/Apple etc.

I say it was crazy for those concerned to pass on this. Just my 2 cents worth.

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Like I said earlier in this thread, "bummer".

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

But Steve, I'm sure if you could, you'd remaster The Beatles for free.

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Public Domain

>>>>30 years from now, The Beatles will be in the Public Domain and ANYBODY will be able to release them.

Of course, I'll be 73 and i bet I care more about getting my dentures to rinse clean......

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The only problem with that, Claus, is that none of the Beatles(or their estates)is poor, and unlike the Stones, you'd have to get all four camps to sign off on remasters of any kind--which is why we got the ANTHOLOGY series, YS SONG TRACK and 1. Yeah, they could rake in more millions, but they already have plenty of millions apiece(Paulie is doing very, very well!).
    EMI can kind of try to prod them along, but if Apple Corps doesn't say yes, it just won't happen. That's a bummer, but I'm not so sure, given EMI's remastering habits these past ten years. Mixed blessings....

ED:cool:

10. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

The current CD releases of the Beatles' catalog still sells in great numbers. I guess Apple feels "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Unfortunately, we feel it is broke.

11. Ferd Burfell

Ferd Burfell New Member

Speculation is rampant on this sore subject; it's pretty painful for us all. Being totally ignorant of ANY details of the business I'll pose a lame question - Since MFSL has been acquired by Music Direct (http://www.amusicdirect.com), and they likely have "something" to work with Beatle-wise, and not withstanding contractural complications, what might the probability be of ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HELL........let me just say it - Can you borrow from them? Could their "Masters" they cut the LP's from be utilized SH's way?
    See, I said it was lame. I suppose any Beatles from anywhere would be subject to the same "BEATLESMACHINE".

............OK.........sorry........I was freely associating. Please don't hate me.

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

My apologies for upsetting the Apple cart, Fearless Leader!
    The answer: I come up with 5%(at best). Sheesh!

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Not even that, ReloadedMan, out of the DCC % we had to pay for the typesetting, color separations, artwork restoration, legal fees, etc.

Like I've said so many times before, DCC would have almost lost money on every disc we sold, but we still would have done it.

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

That means the responsible peoples haven't made their lessons... how a record company can lost $$$ on almost every reissue?

Or I'm wrong :confused:

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think the issue would have vaulted DCC ahead of Mobile Fidelity, though, as absolutely the premier audiophile label in the world. DCC was already producing superior product, and this project would have left everyone else in the dust. Who wouldn't want their album reissued by the same label that did those Beatles discs everyone's talking about?

The reviews would have been front page material in the style sections of THE WASHINGTON POST, THE NEW YORK TIMES, etc., not to mention cover stories on STEREOPHILE and the like: "The Reason CD Was Invented: DCC Does The Beatles Right."

I'm very sorry this didn't come about, for my own small, selfish reasons, and because this probably would have represented a professional pinnacle for Steve. And with the publicity any Beatles rollout generates, Steve's philosophies and techniques concerning proper sound restoration might have become more prevalent in the industry. The acclaim that would have doubtless surrounded this definitive reissue would have raised the bar for everyone else.

I hope an opportunity of this magnitude comes up again. I was hoping his work on the two Elvis Presley discs would land him that on-going catalog overhaul.

16. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Someobody needs to sit Paul and Ringo down and A/B the "McCartney," "Ram," "Band On The Run," and "Ringo!" DCCs with the stocks on a decent system.

The only problem then would be convincing Yoko and the Harrison estate. I'm a good salesman, though, so I nominate me for the job.

17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

If you are that good, You have my blessing. Go to it AKA. :D

18. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I hope an opportunity of this magnitude comes up again. I was hoping his work on the two Elvis Presley discs would land him that on-going catalog overhaul. (Ron Stone Quote)

Being an Elvis Presley fan, I wish EPE or RCA would pay Steve to remaster the whole Elvis catalog (minus some of the movie soundtrack junk of course).

Mr. Stats

19. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I think we are now getting to the literal reason this is hard for Steve, the "what if" factor.

Maybe this thread should be closed, we are going nowhere...

20. wes

wes Senior Member

Well well people, tomorrow is another day..........I think that's a line in some famous movie....

If for some miracle it all works out some day. I'd buy five copies of each album, and my life would be complete.

-Wes

21. Sam

Sam Senior Member

So Steve, how does an audiophile label make money? Did mofi lose with their Beatles reissues? For an audiophile pressing of a Beatles lp, could you not simply charge more? I mean, heck, I paid $50 for your 45 rpm work per title. I'd certainly pay that for a Beatles lp remastered by you and Kevin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.