Beatles Remasters on Vinyl, part 3, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Johnson, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

2. FranklinLG

FranklinLG Forum Resident

Pre-release jumped the gun

As Per Elusive Disc, the Pre-Orders were NOT supposed to take place until October 1!​

Looks like the companies all jumped the gun on this one! The listings are now being removed from ALL websites. This might explain why some of the graphics in my original e-mail notifying me about this are now dead links!

The specific quote was:

Dear Elusive Disc Customer,
    Thank you for your preorder with us for the Beatles LPs. EMI has informed us that these titles were mistakenly prematurely announced.
    These titles are not supposed to be available for preorder until October 1st. We have removed these items from OUR website until that date.

Your preorder will remain active and NO further action is needed on your part. We wanted to proactively notify all of our customers about this situation.

Acoustic Sounds now stating, "Major Vinyl Announcement Coming Next Month...Legal concerns forbid us from releasing details until then..."

But there's nothing on Music Direct right now...

Very interesting, indeed! Perhaps this will signal more info will follow, addressing everyone's concerns... Could be good or bad!

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Didn't Capitol release vinyl versions of the digitally sourced UK albums here in the late 80s when the first issue CDs came out?

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

No, they didn't jump the gun. EMI announced it and the companies followed suit. Then Apple decided to change things.

5. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

I think so, too.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

People would have complained it's not from the masters.

7. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Those ("matching the CDs") were released world wide then I think. In Europe on EMI/Parlophone though.

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

9. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

I have lots of Beatles vinyl (originals bought in my chlidhood, two blue boxes bought since joining this forum ...) and I'm not so fond of the 2009 stereo remasters (especially AHDN is really bad IMO).
    Nevertheless I will probably get at least some of the vinyl reissues for sake of curiosioty.

Regarding the box set: the 80s mixes of Rubber Soul and Help could be the eventual 'no go' ... I have no need for these mixes.

10. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

What's your preference, Steve, the monos or the original mixes?

11. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

They had to regroup after hearing from SHF members & are going to release them in analog now.:D

Bob

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

This is not correct. The mastering would be done (that is, lacquers cut) at Abbey Road regardless of if digital files or analog tapes were used. Metal parts would then be sent to pressing plants for duplication. While most pressing plants *can* do lacquers in-house, I highly doubt that would ever happen in this case, regardless of the source used.

I think the bigger issue is not that digital files were used, but that said digital files have the same "restoration" that the CDs have. A Hard Day's Night is perhaps the best example - intros "fixed" with EQ and/or NR, narrowing of the channels, etc. Unless an earlier iteration of 24/192 files is used (which seems very unlikely), the processing will likely be identical to the CDs, sans the final peak limiting. Presumably the EQ was redone to match the CDs.

If these were done from flat digital files I might be interested, although I continue to find many of the EQ decisions from Abbey Road questionable at best. "Hi-res" from the masters is more or less pointless if there's a huge midrange honk and the high end is rolled off.

13. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Won't peak limiting be even more adequate for Lps?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Come again?

15. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Do you think Lps have more dynamic range than CDs?

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The only jumping the gun shall be done by Mother Superior. And so it was written(and sung).

As the owner of several thousand pieces of analog Beatles vinyl, I sure hope the value of them is driven up by digital releases.:)

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That is perhaps an "it depends" question, but it is irrelevant. The CD peak limiting was not because of any sort of format limitation, but to simply to make the CDs louder.

That isn't to say they will necessarily not use any limiting to cut the LPs, but it would be due to an aesthetic choice, not a requirement, just like with the CDs.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wouldn't it be just the opposite, as some people sell off their old vinyl? Or are you suggesting that the new LPs will increase interest in older pressings for some reason?

19. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Sounds like a good match for a Rega Exact :D

20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

21. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I don't see the logic in that either - on the other thread it was suggested that those who were holding out for new analog masters will now just give up and buy old analog, thus meaning that the price of old analog Beatles LP's will actually increase after these new reissues come out.

I don't believe that at all. I think that SOME older Beatles LP's will retain their worth regardless of these reissues -- early Capitol LP's since they are different titles to begin with, first pressing Parlophones since that buying niche is unlikely to be fazed by digital sourced reissues, and of course any mono LP's. But I don't think they'll go up because of these reissues - that makes no sense to me. Mainly because I think very few people have/had the patience to wait all these years without just buying a Blue Box by now.

Where I think the possibility of a decrease in worth will be is in analog titles that a consumer might have bought before, but now have decided to buy the reissues instead. Possibly later UK pressings, including the Blue Box, and later Capitol pressings of at least the Revolver+ titles since these reissues can "replace" them. This will be even more likely the case if the sonics on the new LP's are generally praised as superior to the 2009 CD's (which of course remains to be seen).

Now before any Blue Box owners rip me a new one for making that statement, it's just a guess - I don't own a crystal ball. Those looking for analog pressings are going to buy Blue Boxes regardless of how the reissues sound. But if someone is looking for a fairly cheap way to get the Beatles on LP and IF the sonics are good, the reissues might spirit them away - not everyone of course, but less later pressing analog buyers = less demand = a decrease in overall worth.

22. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Yesterday I looked in ebay for a Beatles Lp that I hadn't checked in years, as I supposedly was beatled-out after the 2009 remasters.

23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

People will rush out to but the new box. The deep granular analysis will take place. The overarching message will be that these new LPs will be the "go-to" version for 90% of the buying public. In which case you may actually see a number of Blue Boxes go up for sale. I'd estimate that we could see a rush of 70s-80s Beatles vinyl to the used market....

24. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

On the other hand, anyone who was holding off on buying a Blue Box based on a hope that we might get reissued vinyl cut from analog masters will now know that's not happening anytime soon. That could counterbalance people buying the reissued box instead of the Blue Box. So it's hard to know what effect this will have on the market.

25. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Close...

1 Analog master tapes were converted to digital at 192k/24 bit.
    2 Noise reduction (5 minutes across the entire catalogue) and minor editing (to remove any extraneous noises) was conducted in digital domain
    3 Digital files were then converted to analog tape sent through analog eq (via a restored vintage EMI board I believe)
    4 Analog tapes were equalised, to get EQ as close as possible to original parlophone LP. Compression was also added to the steero mixes.
    5 Equalised (and compressed) analog files output from the mastering chain was then digitised at 24 bit/44.1kHz.
    6. Slight digital compression added to some songs

Theoretically, step #3-5 could have been done twice for each song. One time captured at 44.1/24 for the CD release and the second time captured at hi-rez for vinyl/HD releases. Considering it would pretty much consist of hitting "play" twice for each song, I hope they did it that way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.