Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976) LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alchemy, May 2, 2018.

1. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976)

First off what a horrible LP cover. But that to me, is unimportant.

What is important to me is that George Martin re-mixed the Capitol songs for the LP but they rejected by EMI.

From Wikipedia:
    In October 1980, the album was divided into two single albums, and released as budget LPs in both the United States and the UK.

Rock 'n' Roll Music: Volume 1 (US LP: Capitol SN-16020; UK LP: EMI/Music for Pleasure MFP 50506) contained the songs on sides one and two of the original album, while Rock 'n' Roll Music: Volume 2 (US LP: Capitol SN-16021; UK LP: EMI/Music for Pleasure MFP 50507) consisted of the songs on sides three and four.

This time, the British release contained George Martin's Capitol versions.

So my question: Have those George Martin mixes ever pop up on CD and where

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

No, never on CD. And they aren't remixes per se, just a re-balancing of the original stereo mixes.

3. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

And I believe the reason the Capitol version has the re-balanced and Parlophone didn't was because there was a little too much read into an agreement with The Beatles about not altering their music, so it was kept with the same Stereo balance in the UK. Am I correct on that?

4. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

And the L/R channels were reversed.

pablo fanques, schnulli and raveoned like this.
  5. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

My older sister was tired of me borrowing her Red and Blue albums when I was 10 (and she was 16), so for Christmas one year she got me "Rock & Roll Music." I hated that cover even as a 10 year old. But it was not a bad substitute for the Red and Blue, and it did contain "Hey Bulldog."

I also think it was the Beatles' (or Capitol's) attempt to cash in on the Beach Boys resurrection that was occurring that year.

Woodville, agundy, notesfrom and 6 others like this.
  6. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I used to have Rock and Roll Music. Bought it when it came out because it had Hey Bulldog and i had never heard that song before (I only had the Red and Blue and White albums at the time). I still remember the weird smell it had inside it because of all the silver. I never could understand what the Beatles had to do with the 50s.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

And a complete imbalance on "I Saw Her Standing There" which suddenly increases in volume after about 20 secs.

8. FredV

FredV Forum Resident

It was also the first time ‘I’m Down’ was issued on L.P.

jmxw, fishcane, agundy and 10 others like this.
  9. slane

slane Forum Resident

IIRC, it's the bass frequencies that suddenly get faded up.

JP Christian likes this.
  10. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

I got it for Christmas in 1976 when I was 8. Loved it then including the cover. Sounded great on my suitcase record player LOL

11. NiceMrMustard

I think it was a response to the Beach Boys revival happening that year. The '50s were a big part of 1970s culture because of the 20 year cycle. Happy Days, Grease, etc.

The Capitol label was contained in a soda pop glass on the album label.

12. NiceMrMustard

I think I had that suitcase record player. Crappy needle.......it damn near wrecked a few of my favorite albums, and the Ronco albums I kept getting as presents were virtually unplayable.

13. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

This in every regard. Got it at 8 in '76. Loved the cover - used to copy it on notebook paper to the best of my ability. Sounded great on MY suitcase record player, too!

14. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

What's funny is, I never had a problem with the cover or the albums! I love both! I remember putting my hands in the same spot as the ones imprinted on the cover.

Over time, I've ended up with a few variations of the album, including when Capitol issued them separately on budget labels (with the different cover), and the Music For Pleasure label in the UK issued it that way (but the cover has The Beatles only without the crowd, just them on a grey background).

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

RE: The Cover:
    Supposedly John Lennon suggested using early Hamburg photos by Astrid Kirchherr or Jürgen Vollmer. And John even supposedly offered to design the cover himself, but was declined.

But maybe Capitol didn't want to have a similar cover as John's Rock n Roll album from the previous year.

somnar, JosepZ, PhoffiFozz and 13 others like this.
  16. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I have this and Love Songs as "beater" copies to play in my basement music room. (They're not in bad shape to play - just cover wear and such.)

Gotta say, between those two collections, you get a weirdly skewed take on what the Beatles were about. The music's great, no doubt. But I'd say the second disc of RnRM and all of LS really force the music into particular contexts that don't really work as a full listening experience.

Buddybud, PhoffiFozz and dustybooks like this.
  17. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

This is what I was thinking. Ringo had said something to that effect as well in period interviews. From what I've read, the idea was kind of a collage of photos with them playing in Hamburg.

It would have been too similar to John's album, and probably would have confused record buyers, at least in Capitol's mind.

I think it would have been really cool to have a Beatles compilation with a cover designed by Lennon, depending on if it were the photo collage from Hamburg.

2141, warewolf95 and BDC like this.
  18. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Did he re-balance all the songs or only the twin-channel recording?

19. slane

slane Forum Resident

All of them presumably (hence they all have reversed channels during the copy), though the non twin-track recordings are most likely just EQ work.

20. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

As did I , but I was 9. It was my very first NEW Beatles album (I had been "borrowing" my mom's copies of the HDN soundtrack and Beatles 65). It was all new and fresh to me then. I Wanna Be Your Man BLEW me away! When I get a chance to listen to those songs in that order, I harken back to Christmas day and that awesome Lego set I also spent the day playing with while listening.

Didn't mind the cover as I was also into Happy Days at the time.

21. arriano

arriano The California Kid

I too bought this album when it came out. I was 11 or 12 at the time, but even then I thought the whole '50s look was strange. First Beatles album I ever bought. By the way, the one thing I remember about the songs is that if you listen to "Back in the USSR" at the very end you can faintly hear the opening notes of "Dear Prudence." That tells me that George Martin was phoning it in for this project.

kwadguy, willwin and Upsiditus like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I bought it a few years later when it was released as two seperate volumes on EMI's Music For Pleasure lable. I loved them to death and it rekindled my interest in the band at the tail end of punk. I soon began collecting all their albums in order and it was wonderful.

jricc, Cronverc, JP Christian and 8 others like this.
  23. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

This album came just after all the original singles got re-released in those green "Beatles" sleeves (not good. They would have been better if they all had different pictures on the back but they only used three). Anyway, almost all of them made the singles chart.

"Back in the USSR" was released as a single along with the "Rock and roll" set, an unlikely one as it wasn't seen as a classic at the time but it is now thanks to the white album getting late appreciation.

24. NiceMrMustard

Holy cow, were we twins separated at birth? That is my memory of getting the album too on Christmas Day, although I was playing Lite Brite.

25. NiceMrMustard

Got to Get You Into My Life was also released as a single, and I believe it went Top Ten. The song is included on RnRM.