Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976) LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alchemy, May 2, 2018.

1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Thanks for clearing that up.

So Martin's mastering changes were (to the UK mixes) - I welcome any corrections:

A1 Twist And Shout (stereo moved slightly to center)
    A2 I Saw Her Standing There (stereo moved slightly to center)
    A3 You Can't Do That (no changes - original UK stereo)
    A4 I Wanna Be Your Man (stereo moved slightly to center)
    A5 I Call Your Name (1964 stereo mix - first appeared on the Australian Greatest Hits 1 (1968) and Past Masters Volume 1)
    A6 Boys (stereo moved slightly to center and stereo channels reversed)
    A7 Long Tall Sally (1964 stereo mix - first appeared on the Australian Greatest Hits 1 (1968) and Past Masters Volume 1)

B1 Rock 'n' Roll Music (1964 UK album stereo mix - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    B2 Slow Down (stereo mix - first appeared on Something New (1964) and later Past Masters Volume 1)
    B3 Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey (1964 UK album stereo mix - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    B4 Money (That's What I Want) (1963 UK album stereo mix - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    B5 Bad Boy (stereo mix - first appeared on Beatles VI (1965) and Collection of Beatles Oldies (1966) - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    B6 Matchbox (stereo mix - first appeared on Something New (1964) and later Past Masters Volume 1)
    B7 Roll Over Beethoven (stereo moved slightly to center)

C1 Dizzy Miss Lizzy (1965 UK album stereo mix - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    C2 Anytime At All (UK album stereo mix)
    C3 Drive My Car (1965 UK album stereo mix - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    C4 Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby (1964 UK album stereo mix - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    C5 The Night Before (1965 UK album stereo mix - stereo moved slightly to the centre)
    C6 I'm Down (stereo mix - first appeared on Japanese Help! EP (1965) and later Past Masters Volume 1) * Also remixed for 1976 promotional single
    C7 Revolution (stereo mix - first appeared on Hey Jude! (1970))

D1 Back In The U.S.S.R. (album stereo mix)
    D2 Helter Skelter (album stereo mix)
    D3 Taxman (album stereo mix)
    D4 Got To Get You Into My Life (album stereo mix)
    D5 Hey Bulldog (album stereo mix - bass filtered to centre)
    D6 Birthday (album stereo mix)
    D7 Get Back (album version) (album stereo mix)

D.B., jmxw, john lennonist and 5 others like this.
  2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I love these stories. Thanks for sharing.

MitchLT likes this.
  3. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I probably already mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the single of Got to Get You Into My Life has added compression and reverb compared to the 1976 album mix. It's probably the mix that was played on the radio back then since I believe it was also like that on the promo 45.

dasacco likes this.
  4. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

My recollection is that they all had the channels reversed. I just spot checked "Get Back" and "Revolution" and confirmed those two were reversed. Later tonight I should have some time for some further comparisons.

paulisdead likes this.
  5. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  6. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Yes, a great song I had to search out on the okd 45 single....a fine Macca vocal...

DK Pete likes this.
  7. joy stinson

Yes,...I have the pic cover single of this...

vince likes this.
  8. joy stinson

Interesting info..

9. joy stinson

Yes, he practically ruled am radio then...

10. joy stinson

Yep..caught George here....being a Beatles fan himself, despite all of his seventies fussing in interviews about being a Beatle. George’s hair looked cool in this era I always thought.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 5:31 PM
    DK Pete and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  11. joy stinson

I’m telling you, I remember those great old SNL seventies Beatles jokes and they were indeed hilarious and all the Beatles went along with it..at least George and ringo did and by the later story, John and Paul almost went along with the offer to perform in SNL...yes, it’s a pity that those old great days of great comedy are now gone due to possibly many reasons but sensitivity maybe being one of them. The Beatles were always the first to laugh at themselves.

agundy likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

George may have fussed but he made it very plainly clear in at least one interview I recall hearing on my trusty AM/FM Philco/Ford tabletop radion sometime in the mid-70's in which he stated that he'd be prepared to "knock down some doors" with John Lennon anytime.

D.B., john lennonist and joy stinson like this.
  13. joy stinson

Very interesting tv ad...It’s very much in seventies ad styles then...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 5:57 PM
  14. joy stinson

He started the band but afterwards they were a group, not John’s band per se but a band with no frontman, they all said in interviews, though in the early days John was definitely noted to be the leader by all in the group.... However as a member of the group, despite his going to art school, Lennon was definitely qualified to be consulted on the rock n roll album.

15. joy stinson

Yes, by the mid seventies, George was more willing period for the right price to reunite. All of his early seventies never being in a band with Paul talk went out the window by the time the Beatles started getting the huge offers to reunite.

16. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I asked for it for my 8th birthday in 1976 - great to read that a couple of others were exactly the same age in that year. I wondered why there was a 50's vibe to the inside cover (later on, when I learned more about American culture) but I really liked the cover artwork. This double album was the one where I realised what the 12-bar blues were (musically and lyrically, with repeated chords and repeated lyrics lines such as those in 'Matchbox'). People forget that some of us got into the band in the 1970's because we were born later. I didn't go out and buy all of their albums in a box set, which would have been logical. I got them into my life in a bigger way when I started to look for most of their original 60's vinyl (beaten up, but I didn't care) in thrift shops (record fairs were too expensive for me), then waited till the CD's became cheap in the 80's to do that.

Buddybud and DK Pete like this.
  17. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Posted these elsewhere. Here are Astrid Kirchherr photos: [​IMG]

18. joy stinson

A fan club in the early seventies was selling some of the Astrid 8x10s photos from her negatives for $10 a piece and I bought and own a few. George encouraged her then to sell some of her prints to help her financially and she did. I would have bought more, but $10 per pic was a lot to me as a young teen in the early seventies.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 6:10 PM
    btomarra likes this.
  19. btomarra

And another:

[​IMG]

PH416156 and DK Pete like this.
  20. btomarra

Hamburg photo:

[​IMG]

PH416156 likes this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It has to be one of the all time worst album covers for any compilation by any artist; the one for Reel Music is up there as well. You may or may not know, John offered to design a cover for the R and R album but the geniuses at Capitol turned him down.

Bern likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

VJ should have used this shot right here for Introducing The Beatles (if, in fact, it was at their disposal). That album cover features the all time worst photograph of them.

btomarra likes this.
  23. btomarra

Another Hamburg photo:

[​IMG]

john lennonist, PH416156 and DK Pete like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm going to put this question out there again...did the blue album use the exact same mix for their stereo Revolution as appears on Hey Jude and Rock and Roll? Why does it sound so flat and lifeless as compared to the latter two? The U.S. pressing of "blue", in fact, is the only one in which the song sounds so "dead"...truly sounds like "ice cream" as John once said.

25. btomarra

Almost like Capitol was doing a Beach Boys Endless Summer, Spirit of America thing with a colored drawing or illustration for a cover. Those were popular about that time.

DK Pete likes this.