Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976) LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alchemy, May 2, 2018.

1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Revolution (no mention of Rock & Roll Music. But it would make sense it might use the US Blue album as its source. The UK pressing didn’t use George Martin’s enhancements of the two track stereo masters used on the US lp)
    • stereo 5 Dec 1969.
      US: Apple SW-385 Hey Jude 1970, Apple SKBO-3404 The Beatles 1967-1970 1973.
      UK: Apple PCS P718 The Beatles 1967-1970 1973.
      CD: EMI CDP 7 90044 2 Past Masters 2 1988, EMI CDP 7 97039 2 The Beatles 1967-1970 1973.

2. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

By near the end of the seventies, George was prepared to play with all of them per his interview comments and didn’t rule out a reunion idea..according to what he said, especially considering the huge money being offered by then. It was actually Paul, very busy with his own career, who didn’t comment positively about a reunion...I’m not sure about Ringo’s reunion thoughts then.

DK Pete likes this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Endless Summer wasn't that bad, actually. Now you have me thinking of the Revolver cover illustration by Klaus Voorman....how cool (and more collectible)it would have been if HE had been commissioned to do the cover!

Buddybud and joy stinson like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think Ringo would have agreed at the drop of a cement feather. Far as Paul-and this is just my own feeling-if John had contacted him and told him that HE, specifically, was on board along with G and R, Paul would have very quickly re-arranged "things" to make it happen. The success of Wings and his post-Beatles career in general notwithstanding by the mid-seventies, I very seriously cannot believe he'd risk letting go the chance of creating new music with John again.

btomarra likes this.
  5. btomarra

That would have been cool! :cool:

I quibble with The Night Before included on it. She’s A Woman would be nice with a debut in stereo on a US album.

DK Pete likes this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed on TNB...what makes *that* "rock and roll" and not I've Got A Feeling or Happiness Is A Warm Gun..? It's a cool collection as is...but some of the choices in favor of some other (better ones given the "concept")is kind of questionable. Even Got To Get You Into My Life...She Said She Said or Tomorrow Never Knows, also from Revolver, are much more "rock and roll"...how about Good Morning Good Morning or Yer Blues...or This Boy!! True blue R and R was not always fast and furious.

john lennonist likes this.
  7. joy stinson

You are right I’m sure as Paul had put in his contract...mid or late seventies with Columbia...to let him out to do ..Beatles or work with others? Not sure about the stipulations of his contract but read about it...Beatles seventies reunion almost happened but didn’t throughout the decade, as various members were busy on other projects, I’ve read. It was a near miss throughout the seventies and might have happened in the eighties but for John’s death, sadly.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke You shoulda heard just what I seen

I got it for Christmas when I was 9 also, along with a Fonzie/ Happy Days record player. Somewhere there's a picture of me in my pajamas and crazy bed hair, next to the Christmas tree, holding the album and reading the songs off the back, looking like the happiest kid in the world. I wanted that thing so bad...all summer long the commercial for it was on TV. I believe it was my very first own album, not a hand me down from older siblings. As others have commented, it had a smell to it that I still remember to this day. Don't know what happened to that copy, but I found a replacement in great shape a few years ago, from time to time I bust it out to play. That song sequencing is ingrained in my head!

9. RalseiDeltarune

RalseiDeltarune Active Member

I guess it's good for showcasing some of the Beatles' more "rocking" songs, but yeah. It was definitely a cash-grab. Ringo & John both hated it; They thought it made them look "cheap", Which I agree with. The Beatles shouldn't be remembered as those four guys with the funny haircuts and accents, We should all picture them as four lads who have changed not only the music industry, but the rest of the world, too.

10. joy stinson

Your points are all valid...but I remember when the Beatles were those guys with funny haircuts and accents...it was part but not all of who they were.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  11. btomarra

Agreed. Even old numbers like It Won’t Be Long rock pretty good too!

john lennonist likes this.
  12. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Paul specifically wrote in his new contract with Columbia Records in the late 70s to be able to record with the Beatles.

13. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

Funny... accents?

14. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

What's so funny about their accents??

<<<<<<<<<

john lennonist and joy stinson like this.
  15. joy stinson

The above poster meant their accents were funny as in different not funny as in..humor..but ....the expression funny here, note I didn’t originally use the word, but a previous poster did, but funny means different. Intrinsically, all accents are regional and different. I know to me, as a US southerner, the Beatles had funny accents as mine would have been to them....my infamous Deep South accent. I see you’re from Liverpool likewise....my southern drawl would be very..funny to you as well.

Buddybud and Cool hand luke like this.
  16. joy stinson

Yes, that’s what I read..sadly John’s murder prevented that...

Mike Visco likes this.
  17. joy stinson

The night before is one of my favorite early Paul songs..especially love the vocal.

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  18. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Two more Astrid shots

maandrade and DK Pete like this.
  19. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Now that we have John's brief - is anyone here game to mock up a replacement cover for Rock 'n' Roll Music?

20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Another one who got this as a kid and played it on a suitcase record player.

My biggest wish back then was a Beatles reunion, so seeing Got to Get You Into My Life climb the charts was just incredible. Still pretty incredible, considering how anachronistic it sounded then.

DK Pete likes this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great story. I love recounts like this..we all have our own to tell concerning so many album memories. Thanks for sharing.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Same here..very underrated song..it's just not exactly "rock and roll" compared to other songs they could have put on it.

john lennonist and btomarra like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Have you ever read the book "Paperback Writer" from the 70's by Mark Shipper? It's a parody biographical novel on what might have happened if The Beatles got back together in the latter 70's. The results are comically disastrous. But my point is, at a major press conference announcing their reunion, Paul-as predictable spokesman-clearly states that he doesn't think Columbia would mind if he "strayed" ( my own wording) from his new contract allowing him to record a new Beatles album (on Capitol, of course).

jmxw likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Beatles contract for new material ended in January 1976. So if they had reunited in say 1980, then the band could have signed with any record label to release a new album. It did not have to be with EMI/Capitol.

25. joy stinson

Yes, I got paper back writer book at the time...correct prediction I’m sure and great parody of the Beatles, which the seventies had, rutles, SPLHCB movie, the funny SNL Beatles reunion money offers, etc. Beatles definitely broke up at right time and I myself have throughly enjoyed the solo Beatles music. Nevertheless, Beatles could have done just one song with good rehearsal time...but as with Anthology....would have bickered over the song....George insisted on the one the THREETLES did in anthology, lol. Bickering even in their reunion of survivor members, lol.

DK Pete likes this.