Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976) LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alchemy, May 2, 2018.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think, per the book, they just opted to go with Capitol which I guess would be the predictable choice. The book, I believe, came out in '78.

2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I might have to recreate this album for another listen. My dad owned the two budget LPs that came out in the early 80’s, and the content is great. Do agree that the cover is ridiculous and in the wrong era of time. This way an easy grab for EMI once their contract expired...

Correct.

All 4 became free agents. Paul had already negotiated a new deal under EMI prior to this, and I believe he also upped his royalties and ownership of his solo material.

DK Pete likes this.
  3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Arnold your Beatles scholarship is only exceeded by your wit.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And my wit is only exceeded by my alcohol intake.

.... Which is a good enough reason for another drink. ;)

Buddybud and john lennonist like this.
  5. joy stinson

Well, a funny drunk is the best drunk I’ve heard..lol.

6. zen

zen Forum Resident

My brother made an 8-track tape compliation of Beatle rock 'n' roll numbers (circa 1974). It was called "Old Fab Roll." Loved that title. LOL

Recordfan likes this.
  7. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

From a documented account by May Pang, it was mentioned that John was going to meet Paul in New Orleans to do some writing or help out in a Venus and Mars session. I think the song in question may have been Call Me Back Again. John in fact had sent a postcard to Derek Taylor mentioning that he was going to meet the McCartneys in New Orleans.

There is also the other account that Paul had called the studio where John was recording Double Fantasy to speak to him about writing together but the call was never put through. Jack Douglas, the producer of Double Fantasy, has mentioned this particular incident in some of his interviews. From what I remember it was around the time John, Paul, and eventually George were going to help Ringo with his next studio album (which eventually became Stop and Smell the Roses).

By Paul and John getting back on good terms and maybe writing together, this would surely have resulted in George and Ringo getting on board as well. The Ringo album was going to be a litmus test to the band getting back together at some stage, particularly for what eventually became the Anthology.

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  8. joy stinson

Yes, I’ve read all this..indeed sad.

jpgrbtalls likes this.
  9. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I didn't buy this album back then but always wanted it when I was younger. I thought the cover was horrible but the tracks looked great. I made my own compilation on cassette in college called Rock n Roll. One side was the Beatles the other side was McCartney. I don't recall the complete track list but The Beatles had Heler Skelter, I'm Down, Hey Bull Dog, Revolution, Taxman, Why don't we do it in the Road, I Want You (She’s So Heavy) and Don't Let Me Down for sure. McCartney had Jet, Live and Let Die, Junior's Farm, Getting Closer, Rock Show, Girls School and many others.
    I played it a hundred times and then my roommate who had a car had his stereo stolen with this tape in it. He borrowed it and felt bad. I said don't worry and let him know how bad I felt for him. That was a lot of money for him back then. I remember letting him know I can always make another but I never did. It was on to other mixed tapes. They were so much fun to make.
    When I see this album it makes me think of that.

Recordfan likes this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Very cool recollection.

Ken.e. likes this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This is all great, fun speculation....however....long as Yoko was in John's life, there would not have been no reunion of any sort. And in fact, the fact that the New Orleans thing never happened, is heavily implicatively blamed on Yoko in May's book.

12. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Not sure if it was mentioned, but here is an interesting fact for chart fans:

This LP went to #2. Stopped only by Paul McCartney’s Wings At The Speed Of Sound.

somnar and DK Pete like this.
  13. zen

zen Forum Resident

Apart from "Beware My Love" that was a...anti-rock and roll album.

john lennonist likes this.
  14. joy stinson

Extreme irony here...speed of sound was associated with Paul’s big tour. He stopped himself here, lol.

WolfSpear likes this.
  15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The I Wanna Hold Your Hand film and Beatlemania the musical rounded out the 70s. The individual Beatles were mythical creatures, never to be seen in one place at one time again.

16. joy stinson

Excellent comment to include those two. Yes, the Beatles then became mythical creatures, no doubt. Wish I had seen Beatlemania.

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I saw Beatlemania. You missed nothing.

john lennonist and 2141 like this.
  18. joy stinson

I heard mixed reviews of it.

19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It was pretty cool for what it was. Especially when the 'hairy'/bearded 1969 Beatles played at the end.

Buddybud likes this.
  20. joy stinson

That would be Lol...and truly by 69 that’s what they were...as some fans said...they went wild and hippie.

21. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Forum Resident

This is the Prince's Trust rehearsal. Nov 1963

22. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Forum Resident

john lennonist likes this.
  23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Great collection of songs, but the LPs sound God-awful!

(At least my set does).

Horribly, horribly mastered. :cry:

24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Her comments on that

• Lennon did consider writing with McCartney again, and in 1975 expressed a desire to join his ex-bandmate in New Orleans for a recording session. Pang remembered:

“In January of ’75, after The Beatles had officially broken up, and John had signed the contract of the dissolution of The Beatles—he signed it at Disneyworld in the Polynesian Hotel—we were home in New York. We had Paul and Linda coming by, they were dropping in and out of our apartment quite frequently. And Paul mentioned to John, ‘Oh, Linda and I are going to go down to New Orleans… thinking about going there to record an album.’

“And then, all of a sudden, John turned around to me one morning and he said, ‘What would you think if I write with Paul again?’ And I spun my head around like The Exorcist, and I looked at him, and said, ‘Write with Paul? I think it’s a great idea.’ He said, ‘Why do you think it would be a great idea?’ I said, ‘Well, you know, the two of you, solo-wise, are good, but the two of you together, when you write, it’s something special. Nobody can beat that team writing that you have. Look at all the Beatles’ stuff. Look at all the stuff you’ve done.’ He sort of sat back and said, ‘Okay.’”

“Okay” as in he intended to do it?

“Okay in the sense of considering it in his head,” Pang continued. “We talked about it, and he said, ‘Let’s go down to New Orleans. I’ve never been, and I’d like to go.’ I said okay. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.”

If it had, she believes it might well have turned into a Beatles session:

“I knew that if I got him down there, it would have started something. I knew that it was that close. I knew that he had already been itching for certain things… John was ready. He was just open for hanging out with Paul, at home—in New York, and L.A., but especially in New York. [Paul and Linda] would pop up and visit all the time. We’d go out to dinner around the corner from where we lived, out for drinks, we were hanging out with them.”

— May Pang, interview w/ Casey Piotrowski for radio program The Beatles Show

She also lays the blame on the split at Yoko

• John seemed to be in a very strange state of mind about the dissolution. From the hints he had dropped since we had been together, I had learned that John’s departure from the Beatles had essentially been Yoko’s idea. Without Yoko to drive him forward, he felt strangely ambivalent about officially ending the Beatles at that moment. By nature, also, he felt inclined to take a position opposite from that of Paul McCartney. Paul desperately wanted that agreement signed. Whether or not it was the best thing for him to do, John, on principle, was inclined not to want to sign it.

Though I'm inclined to think there may be a little bias from May on this one.

25. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Oops... brain freeze.

My question has been answered.