Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976) LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alchemy, May 2, 2018.

1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

2. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

If you're wanting Hamburg photos, my site at the link is the best place on the internet for them.

john lennonist likes this.
  3. btomarra

Thank you. I'd love to check that out.

4. btomarra

[​IMG]

Gave this a try. Used a Beatlemania photo instead

paulisdead and notesfrom like this.
  5. pseudopod

pseudopod Forum Resident

Hmm. I never found that. I have the Canadian pressing on the GRT label and it sounds fine to me.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Forum Resident

No Prince's Trust in 1963, it began in 1976. You mean the Royal Command/Variety Performance at the Prince of Wales theatre. (I know it's all very confusing.)

john lennonist and Chazz Avery like this.
  7. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

Meant POW Theatre. Typed too fast without thinking.

nikh33 likes this.
  8. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

I disagree, but I have a story about this...

I was at the performance of 'Beatlemania' on 13 July 1977. At approximately 9:30PM, 3/4 of the way into the show, the lights went out. It was the night of the 1977 Blackout in NYC.

Nobody knew what was going on, and the emergency lights came on. We were told to stay in our seats. Mitch Weissman, who played the Paul McCartney character gave
    the audience updates as they got them. Since nobody knew, at the time, how long it was going to last, the cast got out their acoustic guitars. Mr. Weissman told us that,
    in preparation for the show, they learned many Beatles songs, some of which had not been included in the show. He then asked us, 'So, what do you want to hear?'
    They played a few songs and the audience sang along. For the next half hour, we got an impromptu concert of 'Beatlemania Unplugged.' It was AMAZING!!!

Eventually, they told us that we should all go home and call the box office the next day to get further information. I did, and they gave us tickets to see it a second time.
    It just so happens, that the night I chose to redeem my replacement tickets was a night that Mr. Weissman was not present and his understudy performed in his place.
    I was there on a High School trip, and we had a chartered bus which took us home. All the way home, in the darkness, we saw volunteers directing traffic. I do remember
    seeing one of them with a flashlight in one hand and a beer in the other! :D We all got home safe and sound, and BOY, did we have a story to tell!

I have fond memories of that show. It was entertaining, and I got to see the 'Extended Version.'

:righton:

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Just looked for my copy (of the American Graffiti soundtrack LP set -- two LPs, IIRC) but I assume the one I have is the standard U.S. pressing.

10. FredV

FredV Forum Resident

I agree with this scenario. If John had made the call first and said, “let’s do something”, the other three would have jumped in. That’s pretty much what happened for Live 8 when Roger Waters called David Gilmore and said “let’s do it”, that led to the one-off reunion of Pink Floyd.

11. somnar

somnar Forum Resident

Haven't heard it in 40 or so years, but loved it at the time. Re the sleeve, although of course the covers for the red and blue albums were better, I never had a problem with it. And, considering the cover art we'd get later (Love Songs, 1, Past Masters, etc.), I think we should consider ourselves lucky...

And yes, I know John Lennon didn't like it, but come on: this is the guy who gave us the Two Virgins cover! Is he really the best judge?!

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I would assume that Paul was simply 'leasing' his recordings to CBS, hence there was no stipulations about that possibility....I think...
    If I recall, from Fredric Dannen's "Hit Men", there were many on the CBS board that were shocked to see how many 'publishing' rights they gave to Paul, in exchange for merely 'distributing' his records!
    Some might say, it were the board 'insiders' that pushed MJ to buy The Beatles song publishing rights, strictly as revenge!
    ...I'll take my 'tin-foil-hat' off now....

13. john lennonist

I don't think that's accurate.

They recorded two complete songs, "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" (the latter being a top tier Fabs song for me).

There was a third song intended (as it was a three-part TV series, IINM, they wanted one for each episode) and sessions for it began, but George nixed the third one before it was finished.

Apparently George was getting annoyed with Paul again over the same old issues... apparently two complete songs with him was George's limit :laugh:

(I can't remember the title of the unfinished third song, but I'm sure someone here can)

joy stinson likes this.
  14. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Lol about the tinfoil hat ...I haven’t heard that theory..but knew about all the shares involved in Columbia getting Paul. There’s a whole thread on that here discussing the George and ringo lawsuit to Paul that culminated in Paul boot attending the RNR.HOF award ceremony with a few folks here insisting that Paul somehow cheated the others by the record company buying and paying for those shares for him which didn’t come of of the others shares.

15. joy stinson

You are correct...I got especially angry with George in anthology though....because,..he had nixed doing anthology for years..but when HE needed money because his employee had cheated him they finally got to do anthology. George being restricted to two songs was the practice not just of Paul but of John and probably George Martin as well and many times George didn’t have more than two finished songs available until the end and there are video outtakes of Paul helping him complete his songs and Paul arranged ATMP song, but till the end there weren’t that many completed George songs to put on a Beatles album. Likewise, George pioneered Indian music but did waste Beatles vinyl it could be argued with it as well as some could argue inferior songs like piggies, only a northern song, though these songs suited the albums.

George insisted on picking the live THREETLES song in anthology I read that of course they had to agree on. Because of George, they did an oldies song live rather than a Beatles song. As usual your points are valid but I lost pity for George years ago once I saw his uncooperative behavior in LIB and a later outtake showing how John and Paul had struggled with him a day and a half to learn his guitar part and they had already wasted limited time making the documentary but George had to throw his fit about playing or not playing. George claiming Paul ruined his guitar playing is an extreme excuse and a cop out. George affected his own guitar playing taking time out to study sitar, his choice, when virtuoso guitar blues guitarists hit the scene in 67. Nevertheless, I really liked his slide playing he pioneered.

I got very irritated with George in anthology and his surliness and his old apparent old long term grudges against Paul, and his otherwise old grudges against his sister Louise and against one of his brothers that he never reconciled before he died. Many times group and solo, George was my favorite Beatle but solo I got tired of his whiney interview grudges, complaining in solo interviews about Paul and about the burdens of being a Beatle, the best gig in history, and his apparent competing with Paul. There the THREETLES were doing anthology to begin with, though they all financially benefitted from it, to doing mainly George a favor, as he needed money most then but he dictated the terms, insisting that it be at his place and outtakes show him bragging to Paul you could put the whole Shea parking lot of his grounds and Paul and him riding in in one of George’s very expensive sports cars.

The Beatles were all very interesting yet very annoying folks at different times. Nevertheless, George’s solo music is very enjoyable though stylistically and thematically restricted but personally he drove me crazy. However, I was very lucky to see him solo despite his changing Beatles lyrics on that tour and lecturing the audience about pot when he himself was using cocaine throughout that time. They were all immature at times and we all got to see it because they were very public figures. I’m very glad that once folks he had long term grudges against, Paul and older did Louise, to see that George was by then mature enough finally to drop his grudges once they approached him at the end and Paul helped him putting him by putting him in a house near his cancer treatment facility.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  16. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Who told you that? All reports indicate that George nixed the third song because he just felt it wasn't good enough.

Now and Then

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  17. btomarra

[​IMG]

Another attempt at a mock Rock n' Roll Music lp. I believe these are Astrid's photos in a montage.

18. john lennonist

I recall interviews in the 70's from both John and George with each essentially saying the following:

That the members had mentioned they might be interested (including Paul and Ringo) but never when they had these casual (no concrete plans) conversations, that at least one of them (out of the four, though likely out of the three as I think Ringo would have dropped everything to do it) wasn't interested at the time.

I know that John was concerned that whatever they recorded would be viewed as a letdown, due to the legendary (mythical in his mind) status the Fabs had.

I know that he also said he didn't want to do it unless the band spent a good deal of time rehearsing prior to recording, which he wasn't sure the band would be up for.

joy stinson likes this.
  19. joy stinson

I forgot your clarification..thanks....Yes, George really showed out in anthology, much to my irritation.

20. btomarra

[​IMG]

Reduced the font and enlarged the photo. Looks better

Ken.e., PsychGuy and paulisdead like this.
  21. john lennonist

Yes, he didn't think the song was good enough, but Paul kept bugging him to finish it anyway which annoyed him.

To this day, in interviews, Paul says he's contemplating finishing the song and releasing it... I don't think George would be too happy with that.

22. john lennonist

Re your George annoyance, as I have posted on this forum previously:

I was friends with the executive at Capitol who was in charge of coming up with ideas / overseeing the Fabs annual (usually timed to be released around Christmas for the holiday "gift" season) releases in the late 80's to late-90's or so.

To do so, as we all know, all four (at that point the three and Yoko) had to all agree on a project or it wasn't going to happen.

He said that George was the coolest (and most agreeable) by far of them to deal with. He liked him very much on a personal level.

He said Yoko was also cool and pretty agreeable... and that a highlight of his life was a meeting he had with Yoko in the Dakota apartment that she had shared with John.

He said the drummer was a grump (I've heard that from other one-on-one sources, which makes me sad as I wish he'd be happy -- as he seemed to be the happiest of all of them during the 60's).

He said the other member of the group was a real pain-in-the-ass.

And this is coming from an exec that got along great with Roger Waters of all people :laugh:

23. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Where did you get that information?

I don't think Paul said that seriously, but George's family has veto power anyway.

joy stinson likes this.
  24. pseudopod

pseudopod Forum Resident

Guys, the thread topic here is the Rock 'N' Roll Music album.

StephMess78, Ken.e. and btomarra like this.
  25. joy stinson

It’s great that in you were friends with folks that that gave you had unique insight and experiences with the solo Beatles. However, I was speaking of how they publicly conducted themselves in interviews. They all had faults and quirks, but as solo Paul was usually almost always outnumbered by the others and negatively portrayed in the press and complained on by the others whereas the others faults were usually overlooked .. and he was few times ganged up on, I’m not at all surprised that he threw his weight around to...in his view even up the playing field and to get his desires included. The older I’ve gotten with my own life experiences, the more I’ve understand all of them. I’ve had life experiences where I was like all of them at different times and have learned from all of them. Paul learned early in the Beatles and solo to fight for himself...like after the John Brian Spain trip and suddenly Paul’s name was listed second on songs composed.

However, with the Hamburg tapes release and anthology, it appeared to be George who threw his weight around. I soon learned there were no hard and set Beatles or solo villains and saints and a few stories are not the entire picture, as they all could act like either at different times...because they were as we all were flawed and human though with individual traits. Nevertheless, your experiences and knowledge of them third hand is very interesting and you’ve cited it several times on SHF but it’s not necessarily a Paul Rorschach test per se, as are all are stories from different incidents but there are many other Paul stories good and bad un cited . I have likewise read that George was cool and very thoughtful with folks and fans he didn’t have grudges against. I’ve learned never to judge folks by a few single incidents and I’m sure the other Beatles were cool with various folks as well at different times.

To get back in thread topic....I really enjoyed the music on that album and bought it at the time but did notice the cover. Throughout the group and solo, the Beatles did great rock n roll music and I really love the early Beatles original and cover rock n roll songs and am glad that both John and Paul solo made rock n roll cover songs solo albums. I remember playing the rock n roll music album a lot though by hat time I had found all of the Beatles albums and singles.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021