Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976) LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alchemy, May 2, 2018.

1. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

One thing you have to bear in mind is it was the first time all four Long Tall Sally EP tracks had come out in stereo in the UK so toss in I'm Down and you had a reason to buy the album which quite a number of people did.
    My copy is the UK Parlophone original and is much loved fitting in well as Colocally said with RED and BLUE.

905, vince and fmfxray373 like this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

Perhaps reversing the channels was to make it easier to tell the 2 versions apart.

dasacco likes this.
  3. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Two things to mention now that this thread is alive again:
    1. The single mix of GTGYIML has added reverb compared to the mix on the LP.
    2. George Martin actually remixed I’m Down in 1976 for this compilation but the original 1965 stereo mix ended up being used instead.
    The only thing left of it is a small sample from some UK promotional 45: I'm Down 1976 sample.wav
    Notice the mixing differences from the original mix.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  4. Drifter

Drifter AD survivor

Yikes, not good.

5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Pretty sure it was all the tracks, but I'm going on recollection.

6. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The Vol.2 reissue was the first Beatle album I bought that wasn't inherited from my family. I likely picked it up because it had songs I was hearing on FM radio that weren't on the records I already had ("Any Time At All", "Revolution", "Back in the USSR", "Get Back", "Birthday", "Helter Skelter" etc...). Still love it.

7. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

IIRC, he only tweaked the twin-track material, like Twist and Shout. He brought the right channel to the center and applied some EQ.

8. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

I have the UK gatefold issue of this great album.

It was one of my first needle-drops using Audacity.

By mistake I recorded it as ‘Mono’, but the levels still seem all good. Anyone know why this is?

Many other Stereo to Mono (Like Red album and Yesterday and Today) completely mess up the levels on many tunes.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What do you mean by “the levels still seem all good”?

10. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

I mean when you ‘fold-down’ from Stereo to Mono, it doesn’t always come out right due to phase issues I think?

E.g, on a lot of Yesterday And Today some vocals are massively reduced and/or elements like bass and drums are increased in volume. Nowhere Man has the vocals massively reduced in volume. Act Naturally had the lead guitar only very lightly in the background.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Phase issues certainly do happen. For example, the UK mono Beggar’s Banquet is a folddown - except for Sympathy For The Devil because some instruments disappear when folded down to mono. So a true mono mix was made for one song.

And phase issues aside, remember that L+R information is increased by 3dB relative to L-R and R-L info when folded down to mono.

MitchLT likes this.
  12. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

The mono "Satanic Majesties" has two editions, a true mono and a fold down. (if yours has "T2" on the dead wax, it's a fold. If "Lantern" has three dongs on the intro, it's a true mono mix)

I think the T2 has phase issues.

I dunno why it happened, maybe they lost the tape..

13. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

But in Audacity, if you select ‘Mono’ at the start, it must be just pot-luck if it sounds normal? When I did that it was by mistake, but then I thought it might sound good anyway, but there’s no way I could tell beforehand

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What does the mono Satanic have to do with this discussion?

btomarra likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I personally wouldn’t call any fold downs “normal” or “good” but you are basically correct. However if do enough fold downs, you can probably get a feel for what mixes will be more dramatically impacted when folded down.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I had this, as a cassette, a year after it's release.
    I was 11, and I can say, it was just another nudge into my 'Beatle-fan' conversion.
    Fold-downs, stereo, mono...these things meant nothing to me!
    Just playing it on my Panasonic cassette player was enough....

joy stinson, Charlie Z. and Hootsmon like this.
  17. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

Am I the only person who doesn't really hear any bass on "I'm Down"? A low rumble, maybe...

18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

?? For real?

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'd say so....
    when you put "Helter Skelter" on the flip-side of the single you put out.......
    [​IMG]

20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

And T.Rex. Bolan had this slapback echo thing and said he was only doing a newer version of Eddie Cochran. The riff...

Colocally likes this.
  21. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

Sorry, forgot I was on a Beatles thread

Now, T-Rex...

22. JokermanSe

JokermanSe Member

I'm quite certain that I've read somewhere that there is evidence suggesting that the Rock and Roll album was at some point intended to contain unreleased material, i.e. a master tape found in the vaults of Abbey Road, containing songs such as Leave my kitten alone and some rock'n'roll covers from the Let it Be sessions.
    This story was probably in some old issue of Record Collector but I cannot find it (or this information) anywhere now.
    Does anyone else know something about this? I'm not confusing it with the unreleased Sessions album in the 80s.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  23. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Well-Known Member

I have the Vol. 1 & 2 80's reissues and it's probably been 20 years since I listened to these so I gave them a spin. I was completely surprised by the glitch on I Saw Her Standing There. Then, I remembered that same glitch is on the 2004 Capitol Albums Vol. 1 reissues. I always thought it was a digital glitch on my 2004 CD but it apparently isn't. The glitch is on the word "there" right before the guitar solo.

24. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Why not? The Beatles are on the cover of Their Satanic Majesties.

X--)

Buddybud, Adam9, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

This album was the U.K. and North American debut of the now standard stereo mixes of "Long Tall Sally" and "I Call Your Name" (meaning the common mixes found on Past Masters, not the mixes on the stereo Second Album), as well as the first time "You Can't Do That" was issued in true stereo in the U.S.

I have fond memories as a kid listening to the first volume on cassette (with the sides flipped, so the first track was "Rock and Roll Music"). It was my first exposure to most, if not all 14 of those songs. "I Saw Her Standing There" really blew my mind. I'd always assumed that's how the album had always been issued, in separate volumes with the artwork of them in a sea of people at JFK. So you can imagine how shocked I was when I discovered the original cover.

An original U.K. pressing with the unaltered mixes is on my Beatle bucket list.

Also, is there any difference in quality between the original Capitol double LP set and the later green label budget pressings? Given the generally higher quality of Capitol pressings during the early-mid 80s, am I right to assume the latter are superior?