Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music (1976) LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alchemy, May 2, 2018.

1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Thanks.

I was about to ask what WAS John's idea for the cover.

I'm not sure how they would have worked around Pete Best's image when only Ringo recordings were used on the RnR compilation? Perhaps this is the reason why they didn't use the Jurgen Vollmer or Astrid Kirchherr photos (BTW - does anyone know what it says after "I would suggest something like the _______ picture"?). Unless they did a 1970's photoshop job by replacing Pete's head with Ringo's (cue the Anthology 1 cover).

I do like his "Don't try to make a silk shirt out of a pigs ass...i.e. making Stereo out of Mono." comment.

2. paulisdead

Not really potluck. Engineers when mixing in stereo will (or at least they should) make sure that the mix will be "mono compatible". Back in the days when AM radio was dominate, it was almost critical to double check your mixes that they'd fold down into mono well. These days, a lot of digital interfaces will still have a mono button due to bluetooth speakers and other single speaker devices that you wouldn't want your mix to be impaired in mono.

3. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Beatle-wise, the Red album, Rubber Soul and US rarities and were not folding down well from my past experience...missing instruments etc sometimes vocals barely audible on some tracks

so generally more misses than hits there, but you’re saying this shouldn’t really happen

4. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

It would be a better comp, IMO, if it stopped at "I'm Down". Actually, I once made a playlist (which I never burned to a disc) with that running order, using the mono box.

5. Drifter

Drifter AD survivor

It's on EVERY version of "I Saw Her Standing There". John and Paul are out of sync with their timing.

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

His band, he went to art school (drop out), and was living in NY.

JL was over-qualified. :)

MitchLT likes this.
  7. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Well-Known Member

It sure is. Don't know how I missed it on the PPM compact disc. Thanks for the enlightenment.

MitchLT likes this.
  8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Interesting how Lennon (in one of his letters) refers to the Rock Dreams book as a pointer for Capitol to do-up artwork for Rock And Roll Music. Guy Peellaert had done covers for the Bowie (DD) and the Stones (IORR) by the time RNRM was up on the block.
    Capitol were probably scratching their heads - 'we did what he asked... Malt shop... Fifties cars... Anarchonronistic cronyism nightmares... Marilyn Monroe... Everything but diamond dogs, drug decadence, and the Stones sauntering down the steps of doom'. Oh, well... what may have been.

[​IMG]

Maybe this is more what John had in mind (below), though John had already had that in mind for his last 'Rock and Roll' album:

[​IMG]

9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They did get a little closer to the Guy Peellaert ethos with the reissue/split of the albums, in the form of some gritty realism to the cover painting of a photo, though the squeaky-clean fun approach continues. And having the same cover for both volumes was a tad unimaginative, to say the least. This did come out while John was still alive (Oct. 24, 1980), if that's any consolation. 'but we really did what he asked this time; presenting a mythologized moment in Beatles lore, crystallized on the tarmac right after touchdown!'

[​IMG]

10. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I have multiple pressings of this album by pure luck. I don't find a noticeable difference between the original and the green... however, the Belgium pressing of Vol. 1 absolutely smokes. It's a personal treasure of mine that I picked up more of an oddity for $5 a few years ago that stuns me to this day.

The Beatles - Rock 'n' Roll Music, Volume 1

11. HarvG

HarvG Forum Resident

For some reason, the image you tried to post is not showing up (seeing a red box with "Visit aboutthebeatles.com"). Here is the image you were referring to:

[​IMG]

Way better cover than the original cover!

Library Eye and notesfrom like this.
  12. HarvG

HarvG Forum Resident

That's a very cool book! Your posting prompted me to pull my copy out - got it when it first came out in the early 70s.

notesfrom likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

By the way: The person wearing a cap in between George and Ringo is supposed to be none other than Phil Spector (although most of his front face is blocked by George), who actually was on the plane trip from London to NYC when the Beatles first arrived in America in February 1964.

You can see Phil in the cap, behind George:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Closer view of Phil Spector (at the right):
    [​IMG]

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

16. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

It's hard to believe this image is only 6 years before the end of the band and the involvement of Spector with Let It Be. These people lived half a life in one year.

17. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Interesting. So it used the North American cover instead of the British one with the white background?

18. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

And who could've imagined that six years later, he would be reworking what would be their final LP?

19. paulisdead

Getting back to the "mixes" (yeah, I know it's really a remastering from GM), was it the Dave Dexter versions that Martin was working from or the UK stereo mixes? Did any of the Dave Dexter versions appear on the Capitol RnRM?

I only have the Australian release which uses the UK versions.

MitchLT likes this.
  20. paulisdead

1976 Television advert

agundy, Charlie Z., 2141 and 3 others like this.
  21. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

These were all UK mixes that George Martin worked with. No Capitol versions.

paulisdead likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I remember thinking when I first saw this commercial how it somehow cheapened them....of course I bought the album...cheezy cover and all.

MitchLT and paulisdead like this.
  23. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Why was he at the airport with them?

MitchLT likes this.
  24. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I was 15 in the summer of 1976 when this came out, I think it was the summer between my 9th and 10th grade years of school. I'd been a huge Beatles fan for a couple of years at this point but I only had the "Blue" album (first record I ever bought) and a bunch of cassettes that a friend of mine had made for me, mostly the "American" versions of albums (I would not discover the joys of the import records until I got to college).

Anyway, I bought this record that summer when it came out. I think it was the first "new" Beatles product that I ever bought. I was so excited to have something "new" to buy - even though it wasn't new. I listened to it all the time that summer. "Got to Get You Into My Life" was all over the radio too. It was beyond exciting to get to hear a Beatles single on the radio and follow it up the charts.

I've been lugging my records around ever since - multiple moves, a divorce, etc. and while I have most of them I have managed to lose a few through the years including this one, unfortunately (I would get Love Songs for Christmas the year it came out and managed to lose that one as well).

25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

He happened to be on the same plane (see "Love me do (the beatles progress)")

2141 likes this.