Beatles Sealed 1st State Butcher Cover

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tone, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

Thanks. Didn't know.

2. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

It's not difficult at all to have full control, if you know html. Another option is to format your auction with a What You See Is What You Get webpage creator (like Dreamweaver) and copying over the straight html. But I guess this is a little "advanced"

edit: hey Digital-G, I see we are both Daytonians, small world!

3. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

No way. This one goes straight into a safe.

4. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Agreed! If opened, the LP would probably go down in value immediately by at least 33%! And if by chance, the vinyl was damaged or had issues, even more!

5. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

pff, $26k, pocket change. I was expecting more.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

When I worked at a record store in the 70's it was store policy to reseal records that were returned (unless scratched) and sold as "new". Hmmm, I wonder if a reseal machine is still around today?

7. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

So me thinks that a STEREO sealed in same condition is easily over $30K today or more.

There were 3 different bidders willing to go $25K or more on this mono one looking at the bid history.

8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

To make MONEY! Back in the day, when "Beatlefest was BEATLEFEST(not the Fest For Beatle Fans), I'd see people make all three shows(NY, Chicago and LA). They'd do the auction, and move the stuff from show to show. I'm sure the stuff I saw bought in Chicago would wind up in LA back in the auction. Just another way to make a buck, or in some cases like this...SERIOUS bucks!

9. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

There have probably been others but don't remember when I've seen a more expensive lp.

10. Stereo? Sealed? Mint?... :eek:

If another is even offered up in the next few years, my guess is it would easily sell in the 40 - 50 range.

11. leir

leir Forum Resident

.....+ $20 S&H :nyah:

12. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

I bet eBay really likes this. I'm sure that they will make out pretty well on the seller fees.

13. Hey, this is close to what I predicted. Do I win something/anything (or Something/Anything)? :D

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Are you suspicious that this is a reseal? Perry Cox is very experienced and he would know the difference between a reseal and a factory sealed. Not that its hard to tell but he'd definitely know a good faked job. I know folks here are are used to the average eBay record seller but Cox truly is in a whole different league.

15. A lot of folks hesitate to open a record they paid more than $60 for.
    I know that I would have, even last year when I was photo-retouching for a living.

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

eBay didn't make all that much - its not big deal to have a 25K item for auction. It's the seller who should be pleased. Taking that to an auction house would cost more.

ebay made:

8.75% of the initial $25.00 - $2.19,
    plus 3.50% the next $1,000.00 - $34.12,
    plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value - $360
    plus potential Paypals fees of approx 3% depending on the location of the buyer and how they pay - $750

So not much over $1,100.

17. As noted above, PayPal is, by far, the most predatory financial vulture with many of the current online website money transfer setup systems. :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

After seeing this thread, it makes me wonder if a person I saw at 1991 Beatlefest Chicago still has the majority of his "stock". Back then, his booth was devoted EXCLUSIVELY to Beatles Butcher Covers.....sealed, open Mono/Stereo, 1st, 2nd state, peeled/non peeled covers. You name it, he had it. Quite an impressive display.

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:confused: It's by far the best. Unless you can open a regular credit card merchant account, which is incredibly risky and expensive, there is no better service than Paypal for sellers. Even when I did pay fees by taking money orders I still don't miss that process.

But this is not about Paypal. That auction and the associated fees (Paypal included) is a bargain for Mr. Cox.

20. I agree, its the best of what we have for now but ... :shrug:

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But if he did buy this one first, then later held another, and noticed different shrink wrap material or style, he could decide it was the different plants. Or could decide it (one of them) got a quick reseal at some point in the early 70s. At any rate, I doubt he would bring this up in his auction page listing.:shake: Why would he? Or why would anyone.

Sometimes best to let it be.:agree:

22. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

Its Perry Cox. He sells USA Beatles vinyl for so much money I cant bel;ieve it. That was a MONO copy,a stereo would have been $50,000.00 ( he got what $26,099.00 for this mono ) Here I am starving with some of the best UK Beatles pressings in the world and these Butchers sell for that kind of money because of shrinkwrap?
    Who the hell has this kind of money and why are they not on the forum?

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Perry Cox does two things (among many) right. He writes well, and he established himself on ebay years ago by starting with low priced items and slowly building up to $25,000 butcher covers. You do not jump into ebay or a (forum for that matter) starting out asking for hundreds of dollars for the rarest items. And he never listed mid to late 70's reissues asking for top dollar on these. He would ask $9.99 for a 70s reissue and let the market decide what the worth is, not starting out asking $30 say for a mid 70s. And he never calls it "first reissue" he would say Capitol Green, or Capitol Orange label with a year mentioned before or after.

Perry Cox has no need to be the forum, he konws more about Beatles than records you, I, or/and the rest of us combined. What could he learn from you or I?

OK, well you asked.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I'm not suspicious of him at all. I know nothing about him and I would bet it's the real deal. It just got me to thinking about how we used to reseal records and if properly done it was a bit hard to tell the difference.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If the record was never even removed from the jacket, a reseal is often impossible to detect. Sometimes a true original sealed LP looks odd because the shrink wrap roll was near the end, and it results in a shoddy sealed LP, but it was never resealed later.

I would like to see more stickers on the shrink wrap of all these still sealed butcher covers. So many have no price tags or store codes, nothing to show vintage or history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.