Beatles Sealed 1st State Butcher Cover

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tone, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Probably because they spend so much on those records they can never play them and we like to play our records and then argue I mean discuss the sound. :laugh:

Just kidding but seriously...if had the money to buy those sorts of records it would definitely be for collecting purposes and not playing.

Eddie

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

How do you know he's not on the forum? If I spent $25k for an album I'm not sure I'd want the attention this forum might bring about by announcing it.

Regarding stickers on the shrinkwrap, if it was taken directly from the factory (like the Livingston Butchers) there wouldn't be any stickers. But I understand the point that if it had a 1966 Sears sticker for, what, $3.99 (?) it would seem to help date/authenticate the item. But that's what people like Perry Cox do.

Would anyone here trust the postal service for your $20 shipping fee with this item? If I was springing for a $25k vinyl album I think I'd be buying a plane ticket ($500-$600 ?) and picking the thing up personally. Not to mention you'd get to meet Perry Cox.

3. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

They might be on this forum, you never know....

(Taps Nose)

4. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Ummm, something you'd like to share with us Lord Summerisle? :wave:

Edit: Well, I'm envious of whoever is the new owner of that thing. It's very, VERY nice.

5. I've always wondered if thses executives green-lighted a cover to be recalled, with the thought a box full would be part of their retirement.

But I also wear a foil hat.....just in case:winkgrin:

6. Jay F

Jay F New Member

All of this is making me write a movie in my mind about a guy whose brother is a compulsive record collector. Anyway, the non-record-collecting brother needs money fast, so he goes to this Beatles convention and robs the guy you're talking about with all the butcher covers. Mayhem and comedy ensue, maybe there's a love story, and at the end of act 3, the brother opens the seals and discovers that the records are actually such lovelies as "Mrs. Miller," a really early Beach Boys album, Judy Garland, the Hollyridge Strings, Grand Funk, and other relatively worthless Capitol crap.

7. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

I agree Perry knows US Capitol Beatles better than anyone...

I have done business with Perry in the past. He knows Beatles Captiol pressings better than I or anyone else will ever know. However,as I only collect UK Beatles because they are in fact better quality records ( I know ,someone will make the case for this or that album. However 99% of the time the UK pressings are superior to US pressings.)
    I totally believe his grading of any given album. He would not risk misleading anyone at this point of his very lucrative career.
    What I dont understand is the idea of people spending that kind of money and knowing there are better quality Beatles albums out there. Just think what you could buy in the UK in NM condition for 26K ...
    I have sold him some things in the past. I also asked him what people do with these records they buy that are so expensive and sealed condition. This is the Gods honest truth. He said they DONT PLAY THEM ! I guess it is the collectability aspect. Nothing to do with the music. Has to be,or people would be buying UK/GERMAN/OZ/NZ/JAPAN etc. for those numbers.
    I you cant begrudge someone for making a lot of money. If I could do it,I would and imagine anyone else would as well. He did start somewhere long ago. I have his first book on collecting Beatles around here somewhere. Long time ago it was published. All USA pressings etc. The prices then and now are not even from the same planet.
    He is the best salesman there is and the idea of just selling MINT albums for the most part has worked extremely well for Perry.
    Yes,I did having a falling out with him over a private business deal. I made a big mistake and should have realized he is a BUSINESSMAN above all else.
    My fault...

8. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Just from a bystander viewpoint, I found it quite exciting watching the last few minutes of the auction as the prices rose. But then again, I was at work at the time. :shh:

9. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

It's the cover

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, it's just crazy. I dropped $525,000 grand for that stamp with the upside-down plane and immediately slapped that sucker on a postcard! I mean, buying something and not using it would just be NUTS!

11. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

Records By Mail has one for $16,000

12. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

...and this surprises you........why? Almost everything uber-rare, fanatically collectible, and insanely expensive will never see its "intended" usage, from Duesenbergs to Ty Cobb baseball cards to even Beatles records.

It's quite admirable that you seek out the best SOUNDING Beatles pressings because you want to listen to the Fab Four in their analog best. So surely you can appreciate those who want to seek out the most COLLECTIBLE Beatles pressings. In the end, the both of you love Beatles LP's, but for different reasons. Think about it and surely you'll be able to understand that mindset :)

Besides, 10 bucks says the guy who won this auction already has a set of Y/B Parlophones, a mint true stereo Y&T, and myriad other Beatles wax for listening purposes anyway ;)

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Are we really having a discussion of opening/playing a Beatles butcher cover album?

Really?

Reality check: All the value is in the cover. The LP inside is nothing special, and can be bettered, easily, for less than $20.

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yeah, really. There's hardly ever been a discussion about a real one, unopened, in its optimal collecting condition, that anyone here could have bid on. The discussion is almost always theoretical.

I posed the question because I really can't imagine spending however many thousand dollars this sold for on a record (or any collectible item, really, whose only value is its rarity). The collecting mentality is interesting to me, just as watching Hoarders is interesting to me.

15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Does the word "investment" hold any meaning for you?

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Does "buy low" hold any meaning for you?

17. "Buy low" is an unknown concept in this forum. I shake my head sometimes at what people will pay for little "shiny discs." I can just imagine how many folks around here are going to be spending their retirement years eating Kraft Dinner. :laugh:

18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It's all relative. When gold shot up to $1000 a few months back that seemed like a "sell" rather than a "buy" price. At $1600 buying at $1000 seems like a smart move.

$25K is lot to pay for a collectors item--be it an LP or a painting or a stamp or a piece of metal or anything else that has virtually no intrinsic value. But if that same item is worth $30K or $40K or $50K in a few years? Not a bad ROI, now is it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.