Beatles - The World's Best - German LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ybe, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man Thread Starter

Beatles - The World's Best - German LP - Odeon label

Saw this in a second-hand shop today. Any info on sound quality? Fake stereo crap? Searched the archives but no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Also saw a "Deutscher Schall Platten Preis" -stickered White Album and a Swedish "Beatles Greatest". Controlled myself and only picked up a Canadian "Hey Jude"-LP, purple Capitol label. But I think I'll go back tomorrow...

2. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

It was a German made for sale through TV record back from '67 or so.

Can't remember the track listing, but I seem to recall reading about some fake stereo being used on it a long time ago. I may be wrong.

The album is rare and will probably set you back a bit.

3. Bizarre that this post came up today becuase I was going to post about this exact album sometime today anyway.

I just got this album on cd (Dr Ebbetts needle drop) and it sounds GREAT. I was going to ask about the album because although it is an eclectic mix of Beatle tunes from All My Loving to Yellow Submarine it contains a couple of nuggets to my ears:
    1) unique high-hat start on All My Loving;
    2) Great sounding And Your Bird Can Sing, with very articulate instrumentation (most copies I have make this song sound kind of overly processed);
    3) Same goes for If I Fell and Eleanor Rigby;
    Net/net, it just sounds like a well-cut (Neumann) German disc, with great tape masters. Not sure why it's such a wierd eclectic mix of songs, though.

4. ybe

5. Yeah, you're right. The cover art is the flowery one, and the cd says SR International. Sorry, don't know about the Odeon versions.

6. ybe

Thanks for chippin' in, guys. I picked it up today. It's the 1981 Odeon pressing. It has the hi-hat intro on All My Loving. :thumbsup: Good sound quality, perhaps a bit bright. "And Your Bird Can Sing" is really punchy, nice bass. "Girl" sounds really open and natural. Really nice record.

Also picked up The Kinks: "The Complete Collection" thanks to this thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.