DCC Archive Beatles This Boy for Luke

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paul L., Oct 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member Thread Starter

Luke, Is the edit in This Boy you're talking about at 1:28? Are you using the "Past Masters Volume One" CD as source? Or the Capitol reprocessed stereo?
    The Past Masters one sounds particularly bad, so I'm guessing that's the one that bothers you more. But I am curious as to how you repaired the edit because it sounds like the problem is there isn't enough decay on the very end of "cry-i-i-i."
    On the bootleg "One Before 911" there is a stereo version with a smoother edit. Have you heard that one?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm listening to the PM1 version. If you view the waveform, there's a *huge* hole right where the edit is. Get rid of some of that (most of it) and it sounds a lot better...

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

There was a particularly nasty edit in Yer Blues also (on the White Album vinyl) that appears to have been improved on CD

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It would be interesting if the edit was improved on CD - the edit is on the 4-track itself, not the mono and stereo mixes...

5. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Your right, there is a blank section, and it does sound better when removed.

I read that in mastering some of the Beatles CDs there was at least a couple times where
    the edits fell apart because of deteriorated glue.

Regarding the actual mix, it's terrible.

But, if you pan the left channel to the center and then doubletrack the right channel (has the vocals) across the stereo it makes for a very nice sounding mix. Also, take some midrange and highend off the vocals to soften the sound.]

Lance Hall

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh...no offense, but BLECH. Just like with the twin track material - I'd *much* rather hear the stuff "as-is" than mono/ADT'd to center everything.

I *would* be curious to hear the 1966 mix, though (done mistakenly for the Collection Of Beatles Oldies LP). While not listed in Lewisohn (for some odd reason), the released mix was done at the same time as the original stereo mix to I Want To Hold Your Hand (ie, when the mono mixes were done).

7. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Luke:

Actually, you can find that version of "This Boy" on the 1976 Capitol (Canada) re-issue single; "All My Loving" is the flip side of it.

Or, less legitimately, it also appears with a slate announcement on the Vigotone "Turn Me On, Dead Man" boot CD set.

The choice, as they say, is yours... :)

-Joel Cairo

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Are you sure that's the 1966 mix? Joe Brennan's site lists the 1963 mix on the single, and I'm almost certain that's the 1963 mix on Turn Me On Dead Man. Isn't the slate "RS 15"? Also, it's Norman Smith - he wasn't on Beatles sessions in 1966.

It's odd - the mono mix says it was mixed from take 15, but the 1966 stereo mix says it was from 15 and 17. Lewishon says it was done in 15 takes, with 16 and 17 being overdubs - how on earth could the overdubs have different takes/slates? I wonder if Lewisohn just screwed up and they are really edit pieces or something...

9. Joel Cairo

Luke:

Hmmm... I'm going to bow to Joe on this one... I A/B'd the "Dead Man" version against "Past Masters", and it certainly sounds like the same mix to **me**. I don't happen to have a copy of the Canadian single handy to check it, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's the same, also.

As for the take numbers, I agree with you-- somthing's screwy in the documentation. From listening to the track, the main portion (through the bridge) is obviously one piece, while the concluding verse and fade are from another [presumably later] take, serving as an edit piece.

If we're to believe that the main portion is
    Take 15, then 16 is probably the overdub for Lennon's double-tracked vocal in the bridge (which they chose to overlay, even though they knew they weren't going to use the end of **that** take), and it therefore seems a decent bet that Take 17 indeed was an edit piece consisting of the final verse and fade.

The problem with the edit, as you noted by looking on the waveform, is that the group obviously started the edit piece at the point where the engineers would cut it together, which meant that the studio was much quieter than it would have been if the crescendo of the instruments and Lennon's searing vocals on the bridge were still reverberating around the studio. They really should've started the edit piece from the beginning of the bridge.

Nothing like second guessing with 20/20 hindsight, is there? :)

Thanks for the correction.

-Joel Cairo

[edited to correct a couple of glaring typos]

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: Joel Cairo ]

10. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I can give you a musician's version of why the edit is there - it'd be damn hard to sing that high, rock-n-roll "Cry-hi-hi-hi-" and still hit the quiet three-part harmony of "this boy-oy-oy..." immediately afterwards. There's no room to breathe. I know they did it on Ed Sullivan, but even then you can hear just how difficult it is. It was probably easier to edit it together than to let them keep going till they got it right.

And the edit on "Yer Blues" is actually the first verse of the song again, sans vocal track. He didn't know how to end it when they recorded it.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

True, but I believe that's a different take (not simply the beginning of the same take repeated).

Back to This Boy - if there was an overdub for John's vocal, why would it have been a new take? Where would they put the slate (they'd have two slates at the same time)? This is something Lewisohn was never too clear about...

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Re: This Boy - if I were the producer, I'd try to get one take where the singer concentrated on "Cry-i-i--ng" and then another take were they skipped "crying" and just went right into the next verse. That way the whole issue would get solved in two takes and you could move on to the next song, editing the two takes together later in another room.

I can't be 100% sure, but I'm *pretty* sure they actually sang and played at the same time on the first few albums, so the main vocals weren't overdubbed anyway. At least that's the impression I get from all the outtakes on boots and on the Anthology CDs. If that's the case, it's just one more reason why they were the best band ever.

13. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Also, regarding trying to fix any of the weird edits on the Beatle's stuff - I like hearing them. It makes me think about the session itself, it puts me into the control room, and I doubt anyone other than fellow engineers/musicians/audio nuts notice these things.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yeah, most everything up to Help was cut live with vocals (starting with Help they only would record backing tracks). Of course, there were still overdubs (double-tracked vocals, guitar solor, sweetening, etc...), but the basic tracks with vocals were live.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well...most stuff doesn't bother me, that does - simply a sloppy editing job. The mono isn't as bad, for one thing (although it's not great, either).

A proper edit lets the music flow nicely. The current edit to me says STOP...ok, keep playing...

16. Joel Cairo

Luke:

The slate numbers for overdubs were **generally** at the beginning of an attempt. In the early days, if the master basic track was, for example, Take 7, for the overdub attempts, they'd play the track back to a second machine, and put in an announcement along the lines of "[song title],Track Two, Take 8" before the dub attempt. "Track Two", being their control booth shorthand for an overdub attempt. Examples of this are found in the recording processes of "I Saw Her Standing There", "Do You Want to Know a Secret", etc.

So in a sense, you'd have a tape being made that had two "Take" numbers on it, but it was usually clear which one they were working on at any given time.

-Joel Cairo

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: Joel Cairo ]

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, that was the case for the twin-track stuff where they bounced from one machine to another. Each overdub *could* exist as a separate take:

Tape 1:
    {take 1 - take 2 - take 3 - ...}

Tape 2 (live overdub with take 3 from above as backing):
    {take 4 - take 5 - take 6}

Each overdub uses the same backing part, but they are going onto a different tape.

However, with the 4-track material, the overdubs were on the same tape as the original takes. Each time you did a new attempt on, say, the guitar solo, the previous attempt would be wiped:

Tape 1 (4-track master):
    {take 1 - take 2 - take 3}

Takes 1 &2 would be basic tracks only, while take 3 would have all of the various overdubs. Since those overdubs existed on the same physical piece of tape as the basic tracks, it would be both silly and impractical to number them. Whereas in the twin-track days "take 3" and "take 6" would be two totally different tapes, in the 4-track days they'd be the same piece of tape (if take 6 had actually been numbered).

Make sense? (It's easier to visualize than explain).

18. Joel Cairo

Luke:

Regarding the 4+ track material:

True. That's why "We Can Work It Out" (one of my faves) was recorded in only "two" takes... (ha, ha, ha). It just several overdubs onto the "Take 2" basic track.

There may be some example of the Fabs attempting distinctly different sets of overdubs onto the same basic track, but I can't think of one off the top of my head. Generally, if they found that a song was moving into an entirely different direction, they'd be more likely to re-do it from scratch, including re-recording the basic track.

-Joel Cairo

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

*Exactly*. Same for Ticket To Ride, Day Tripper, Help - well, you get the picture.

I'm beginning to think that takes 16 and 17 of This Boy were edit pieces rather than overdubs, but Lewisohn is no help here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.