Beatles UK BC-13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudiophilePhil, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

I somewhat shame-facedly admit that though I once worshipped the MoFi Beatles box, I've followed exactly the path Steve Hoffman predicted: as my stereo has gotten better, the MoFi's sound less and less wonderful. I just upgraded my electronics and speakers, and the MoFi's don't sound "bad," but they definitely sound more "hi fi" than good UK pressings. The UK blue box is the way to go. $200 sounds right to me.

And what's up with Tom Port singing the MoFi box's praises and selling it for $1700?
    Is this the same Tom Port who opined that although Stan Ricker was an awfully nice guy, he absolutely hated the way he cut records?

2. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

I recently did an A/B comparison between the MoFi White Album and the German DMM White Album and the DMM won by a mile, no comparison. It has more tonality, depth and resonance all across the frequency range. The MoFi sounds like it has a blanket thrown over it.

I got my Dutch BC-13 used nm for $5.99, the clerk at the store mis-read the hand-written price sticker. I haven't compared the BC-13 WA to the DMM WA yet though.

3. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Replying to myself...heh.

I take that back about the Dutch White Album. It's great on some songs but I don't like this particular cutting that much. The inner grooves are too constrained with some "built-in" distortion. The long sides probably have something to do with it but I can't imagine someone like Kevin Gray would let that happen. Oh well. So I'm still trying to get my hands on that 1978/79 white vinyl edition.

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The MoFi White Album is the worst of that series IMO. I do not think it is fair to judge all the MoFi Beatles by that pressing. The UK white vinyl is generally thought to be the best pressing for this album, and I agree. Tom is probably just saying what he thinks in general - for example, there are some MoFi LPs of Beatles For Sale, Hard Days Night, Sgt. Pepper, Let it Be and Abbey Road that are very close to the UK originals and usually quieter - there is nothing wrong with that.

5. peter

peter Senior Member

Your's is an EAS series White Album, which was released in about 1976 and stayed in print through the mid 80's, at least. I am not sure when the EAS stereo LP's were deleted. If anyone knows, they should post that info here.

The EAS LP's are very nice. I enjoy them a lot, despite the fact that they get critiqued here somewhat. The better JPN. White Album issue is the black vinyl AP series (AP is the catalogue number prefix vs. EAS). The AP series was issued in 1971, and featured a different obi, green with "Beatles Forever" on it. This is a fantastic White Album, better than the EAS by at least 20%-30%. Much richer tonality, musicality & depth. I have a full AP set of the original 12 UK LP's, plus an AP red vinyl "Collection of Oldies" You should hear that one. Sadly, it's my ONLY JPN. stereo red vinyl LP.

The EP box set you have (if it's a vinyl EP box) is nice because it is the ONLY place you can find a true stereo ANALOGUE version of "The Inner Light". Also, the bonus EP (the one with TIL on it) also has the rare true stereo versions of "Baby, You're a Rich Man"; "She's a Woman" & (supposedly) "This Boy". I say supposedly because on the vinyl edition of the EP box, "This Boy" is not in true stereo! EMI screwed up AGAIN. On the CD EP box, this is finally corrected.

Personally, I have passed on the vinyl EP box. Got the CD EP box though.

Also, beware the JPN. red vinyl 1980's EP box. Most, if not all of the tracks are fold-downs.

6. Richard_Suarez

Richard_Suarez Forum Resident

Thanks for the info Peter,
    Actually I do have the EP box in CD. It’s the best I’ve heard The Beatles on CD. You should have seen my face when I compared Michelle from the 62’-66’ Red CD to the version off the EP box set…what a joke! Just yesterday I received my copy of the MS German DMM White Album CD. I haven’t compared it to anything yet, but I did listen to it through ProLogic 2 (fake 5.1?) and I did notice things I hadn’t noticed before. I’m seriously thinking about buying one of these BC-13 boxes though. They sure look nice and I’m sure they sound nice as well.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

They do sound very nice. All those EMI LP's from 1978 or so (when the BC-13 box was first released) sound excellent. My 1978 Abbey Road beats my 2 earlier pressings (identifiable by a much darker green Apple label, thicker vinyl, more lamination on the sleeve, heavier card-stock for the sleeve and (if you are lucky) a black inner sleeve.

Thought I'd help a bit with some extra advice.

8. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Ive seen the Mofi box for $500 but passed as I have a UK Blue Box. I don't know how much improvement the Mofi box would be over the blue.

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

IMO none. The blue is a much better sounding set.

10. stever

stever Senior Member

If I have all the UK silver/black stereo pressings, there's no real need for the UK blue box, correct?

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Not necessarily, depends on the pressing.

12. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

I Recently bought a mint BC-13 box at a record show for $75. Much better than the Japanese blue box I have.

13. Richard_Suarez

Richard_Suarez Forum Resident

Hello Everyone,
    I just wanted to THANK this forum for the knowledge I’ve gained about the Beatles recordings. For years I’ve always been bothered with the official cds. It wasn’t until I came to this forum that I realized that I was not the only one. I’ve also faced reality and realized the catalogued will not be remastered anytime soon and if it is it will probably sound like “1”.So far I’ve picked up the Beatles EP Collection on cd and it sounds great, especially the Rubber Soul and MMT stuff! Two days ago I received my BC-13! The first thing I popped in was SPLCHB. I could not believe the differences I was hearing! I’ve also heard Rubber Soul, Revolver, Beatles For Sale and they sound wonderful. However, I noticed that I have the same catalog number as the Holland BC-13 (0C 162-53163-176), but my album covers are glossy and the record sleeves say either Made in England or Germany. Also, my Abbey Road does include Her Majesty. Can anybody tell me if this is indeed a Holland box or UK?
    Thanks!

14. Shakey

Shakey New Member

Well I bought mine new and it cost me something like $225 back then. At the time it seemed like a no-brainer especially since it was hard to find any quality vinyl.
    Now, I'd like to sell it for market price since many people are willing to pay and buy the BC-13.

15. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Hey all :

picked up my BC-13 set about 7 years ago for $100 . Records in un-played condition really MINT as is the box itself. I have a few Dutch pressings of some Pink Floyd titles and find the vinyl really nice and quiet and love the overall tone of the pressings. In the MoFi set I find the Pepper and AHDN sounding the best out of the set.

sean

16. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

I thought 0C ... is the country code of British EMI. But indeed my Dutch BC13 has 0C 162-53163-176 on the outside. But the covers and labels all start with 1A (or 5C) which is both Dutch (1C would be German).
    I have this mentioned Dutch box too, with the Please Please me jubilee cover and the abridged Abbey Road, I bought it 1981. Some sound great to my ears - but I don't like Rubber Soul - soundwise and because of a lot of surface noise.
    Another "anormality": My White album has a German 1C ... cover, but dutch vinyl. The Lennon box I bought then was mixed the same way.

Martin

17. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Wow! That's one steal! :goodie:

Ended at $345.00 USD!

18. Raidersfan

Raidersfan Forum Resident

when I bought the box in the 70's ( or was it very early 80's) it wasn't selaed, none of the Lp's were. came with a poster of the white album pictures. But I paid $150.00

19. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The one I bought sealed went for $400 and I scoffed it. Yes, I know it's overpriced, but the vinyl couldn't be in better shape....

20. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

There's another thing to consider here when it comes to prices on these BC-13 boxes. I think all of the examples posted here that were on E-Bay were the later (early 80's) box sets.

While the quality of the audio on these sets is widely applauded, there's also another factor that could infuence the price and that is the vintage of the set. A collector might be willing to pay more for, say, one of the numbered 1978 vintage sets sealed, than for one of the early 80's sets sealed. From an audio standpoint there may be no difference but from a collectible standpoint there may very well be a difference.

It all comes down why you want the set in the first place.

IMHO I think $400 for a sealed early 80's set is steep, but not horrible. If I were wanting a set strictly for playing then I'd probably look for a nice, well-cared for set instead.

-DLedin

21. alanb

alanb Senior Member

22. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

The last sealed 1978 numbered set I saw on eBay went for just over $400. The later sealed sets will usually go for around the $300 mark. Even at $300, they're not bad buying for 14 LP's in new condition. If you can buy a genuinely NM opened set for less than $200, you've hooked a bargain, IMO.

23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

My set is from Holland. My mom even bought it for me there in 1979 while my family was on vacation, as an early Christmas gift. I had to wait four months before I could have it. It is excellent! They all include the UK covers.

24. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

25. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Perhaps it is a sales related thing, but if these boxes are items sought by so many persons why EMI/APPLE does nor re-re-re-re-release this boxset with 200 gr vinyl, etc.?

regards,
    Helio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.