~~BEATLES vs. MONKEES ~~ Gloves are off...who's YOUR favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunset Sam, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

That's only like 8 or 9

2. 905

905 Senior Member

That might be smart, because some of the stereo remasters have lost their luster around here.

3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

We can add Miley Cyrus and Britney Spears to the mix.

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Now you're up to like 10, and Britney Spears was like 12 years ago.

5. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Technically, wouldn't Miley Cyrus count as two? First, there's the totally bogus Hannah Montana followed by the "real" Miley Cyrus whose success is 100% tied to the Hannah Montana persona.

6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I chose Beatles, but I listen to both about the same. Then again, Paul and Ringo never put out a Changes-type cheapie album, so Beatles win.

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Can we add Lady Ga Ga, since as far as I'm concerned she's a Madonna clone. Also 10 out of the Top 40, that's still a big number.

8. RickStark79

And then there's The Jonus Brothers, and Bieber, and a handful of others. They still represent less than 10% of the current music industry. Unfortunately, their popularity reaches about 80% of the industry

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, puh-leeze. Even if that were the case - which it's not - how does this make Gaga "manufactured"?

Basically a bunch of grumpy old men are sitting around dismissing modern pop music out of hand... :sigh:

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

With the names that have been added so far, there are more than a few manufactured Pop acts out there today.

11. bubba-ho-tep

I'm not so sure that Bieber would fall into the "manufactured" category. Obnoxious teenybop crap? Maybe, but not necessarily manufactured.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I stand by my statement that she's a Madonna clone, and I don't think she's doing anything that far different than what Madonna hasn't already done previously.

13. RickStark79

More than a handful, but still less than 10%

14. Oatsdad

How in the heck were these acts "manufactured"? You guys have NO IDEA what you're talking about...

15. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Her songs are like ten times better. :hide:

16. Oatsdad

And I stand by my statement that you don't know what you're talking about.

You also haven't told me how this would make Gaga "manufactured"...

17. bubba-ho-tep

I think the Jonas Brothers started off as a Disney Channel show, didn't it?

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Shouldn't the poll have read The Beatles vs. Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart and all of the other writers of their songs?

19. RickStark79

What do you mean by "manufactured"? I take it as a band or artist created by an industry big wig.

Most artists since the 50's don't do anything different than what previous artist have done

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The crazy outfits for one thing and all the attention focused on them. What has that got to do with music? And again, not that far different at all than what Madonna has done.

21. bubba-ho-tep

Using that logic, it could be argued that the Stones were simply a clone of a numerous American blues artists and were therefore illegitimate.

I loathe Lady Ga Ga with the best of them, but to call her a Madonna clone is a little unfair.

22. nbakid2000

She might be copying Madonna but she's not manufactured, unless by "manufactured" you mean, "she created the Lady Gaga persona on her own through years of hard work."

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

No, they were a band before they went to the Disney Channel.

24. RickStark79

Sure, she definitely mirrors Madonna, but why does she have to be "different"? She makes some good pop music, and I believe she plays the piano and writes songs as well. I think she wrote Telephone for Britney Spears to originally record.

25. nbakid2000

I think her songs are more solid across the board. Madonna does have some great stuff, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.