BEATLES WEEKLY - Week 4: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quentincollins, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diskguy

diskguy Senior Member

sied 1

Ever since this was released it seems like whenever I would listen to it I would have to listen to the entire thing - or at least all of side 1. I think that is the hook of SP - it's one flowing piece - it flows all the way to the end. If one song must be singled out, A Day In The Life sums up the entire work quite nicely!

2. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

A Day In The Life, simply a fantastic and timeless song.

My second choice would be Lovely Rita. That song always puts me in a sing-a-long mood.

3. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

I know, I know, "A Day In The Life" is the right answer, it is the classic track, but I have to agree, Good Morning sticks with you all day long :p and gets my vote, a great song, indeed.

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I went with the popular choice.

5. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

"A day in the Life" is so bloody incredible. Maybe the best collaboration of the 4 Beatles. John´s voice, Ringo´s Drums, Paul´s bass is superb...what does George do??

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Good question! What does George do on A Day in the Life??

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Well according to Jeff Russel the author of the Beatles "Album File & Complete Discography", he has the following documented.

John Lennon - Acoustic Guitar, Piano* and Lead Vocal
    Paul McCartney - Bass Guitar, Piano, Piano* and Lead Vocal
    George Harrison - Bongos, Piano*
    Ringo Starr - Drums, Maracas and Piano*
    George Martin - Harmonium*
    Mal Evans - Voice Counting, Alarm Clock and Piano*
    Session Musicians - 41 Piece Orchestra
    *Final Only

For the life of me, I never heard bongos on "A Day In A Life"!

8. Charger

Charger Forum Resident

This is probably my favorite album. I heard it when I was 5 yrs old and have been a RnR addict ever since. I didn't vote for the obvious choice but for LSD instead, could just be the mood I'm in today. I love all the songs including "She's Leaving Home".

Mike

9. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

"A Day in the Life" it is! Especially the mono mix. The orchestral build-up really sounds like the end of the world in mono! Compressed, perhaps, but definitely scary! :eek:

------ Chris

10. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Ditto. When I was a kiddy, I didn't get Winthin You Without You, & when I was a rockin' teenager I couldn't handle When I'm 64 but now I rate them all masterpieces.

11. mal content

mal content Guest

I picked SPLHCB Reprise. And much to my surprise someone else did too! I think I just overexposed myself to this album when I first heard it circa late '70s. It would be an odd day if I put it on.

12. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly.

A Day In The Life was my choice without even having to think about it. This LP has often been called a creative masterpiece but that song is a masterpiece all on its own. :)

13. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Or perhaps even what are your favorite 3 songs !! Jeezzz this is so hard for me to answer guys.

Well if I have to pick one, I guess it's going to have to be "Lovely Rita" as I fondly played that the most when I first got the LP US MONO version. My second would be Good Morning Good Morning as I got hooked on that song next. Then thirdly "A Day In The Life".

14. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I just got a CD of Rarities of Westwood One stuff. Since I wasn't listening to a Mono Sgt Pepper or the songs were not in Sgt Peppers line up on this CD. So suddenly on comes "She's Leaving Home" (MONO version) which is faster and boy did that sound GREAT. So that I'd put in for number 4, boy does it sound great with the tempo of that song just that tad faster.:)

15. goodyear61

goodyear61 Member

"A day in the life" is a brilliant song, but i voted "shes leaving home" for personal reasons. Back in 5th grade I was given this particular song to translate from english to danish by my,then,very hip english teacher :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.