Beatles without Ringo and George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flaxton, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

What did Ringo do to hurt you?

fr in sc and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nothing at all...why are you taking this personally? I'm not. It's just an opinion...unfortunately people really take disdain for a musicians to heart...and for that I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. : (

3. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

Ringo is my hero. I've met him 5 times. I have tattoos of his face on every corner of my body.

You've broken my heart

51IS, fr in sc and vinnie like this.
  4. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

Yeah, I think it was Crosby who introduced Ravi Shankar music to Harrison. My point was that without George the Beatles probably wouldn't have touched the sitar; and in turn, Raga/Indian music might not have had the same exposition to western ears.

More than inventing, the Beatles usually acted as a bridge to popularize different sounds in the '60s.

5. Michael

I only apologize once. : )

and this I will not apologize for; I find that very scary! ; ) booooo

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    7solqs4iago likes this.
  6. Michael

IMO it would have made no difference if they had not...Ravi benefited more.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Clapton and Dave Clark

Liverpool and London

:laugh:

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

Hmm...Dave Clark?...very interesting...CLAPTON...no way.

9. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

In one of John's final interviews he says something along the line of "Let's just say it is possible that Paul and I and two other guys could have been pretty successful".
    It is likely that it wouldn't have been as great as what the Beatles were, but it would be absurd to think that a Beatles without George and Ringo wouldn't have been at least decent.

Paulwalrus, frightwigwam and stefjnl like this.
  10. I could see Charlie Watts play with them. Heck, Keith Richards would also have been an interesting guitarist for them.

11. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I think people who only focus on music contributions miss what made The Beatles special.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they needed george much more than they needed paul.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

In terms of the "image" that was naturally created between the four if them, it gets a little touchy. Not to be disrespectful in any possible way but both Ringo and George were the "guys next door". Neither, as individuals, had the strong presense of either John or Paul. Had the two of them been in any other band separately, they would not have shone much as they did if they weren't a contextual part of the "John and Paul" machine. Any two reasonably cool guys who got on well with John and Paul would have fit the "public image" bill. Musically it becomes a whole other discussion.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  14. Nimby

Nimby Rotten hound of the burnie crew

Stig & Barry. Obviously

15. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Wasn't it literally a Paul song that got them signed?

Paulwalrus and 905 like this.
  16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

It was a very small one.

IT WAS A .......

Vic_1957 likes this.
  17. stefjnl

stefjnl Forum Resident

Ill get stoned for this but.... I think there's a decent chance they'd become maybe not as big, but just as important in music history with a different lead gitarist and drummer. Lennon was the driving force in the first half of the Beatles' career, lead them to stardom, and Paul was that force in the second half, carved out their place as the biggest and greatest band in history. Together they wrote all their essential hits that made them what they are. Sure, Ringo had a unique drumming sound, and George contributed some great stuff in the early days (i.e. the And I Love Her intro), but it's not that without those contributions they'd be just a mediocre band. The Beatlemania and thay magic that the four of them together had might not have been there, but the music that got played on the radio which got better with each single, from She Loves You to I Want To Hold Your Hand, Can't Buy Me Love, Help!, SFF/Penny Lane to Hey Jude... thats all Lennon/McCartney.

Paulwalrus, frightwigwam and DK Pete like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Your post makes a great second half to mine. We also have to add George Martin and his team along with the EMI studio to this mix. Those factors played a role in the sound of those records and how those great songs were presented to the world which cannot be overstated. But back to George and Ringo, their contributions were crucial in terms of how these records turned out as we know them; but they weren't irreplaceable in terms of potentially being equally great with another guitarist and drummer.

Paulwalrus and stefjnl like this.
  19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I often think how the Beatles would have gone in the 80's without the big bang fame of the 60's and no ground to break.

Something like XTC and unhampered by primitive 60's record production

In fact something like John's "Woman"

20. joseph maffei

joseph maffei Forum Resident

Keith had help with Mick Taylor and latter with Ronnie Wood and don't forget Brian Jones, while George Harrison did not have help with another guitarist. Sure Paul played guitar on a few songs, but George was the sole guitarist with the Beatles.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  21. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Lennon and McCartney in the same band will always be huge by virtue of the immense song writing talent. A Hard Days Night was all Nerk Twins and it did okay

Paulwalrus, Plano and Brian Kelly like this.
  22. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

definitely!!

keeping in mind the Stones have given us dozens of masterpiece singles and a handful of masterpiece albums (you can choose which for your views) for which they were driven by rhythm guitarist Keith

i'm having trouble coming up a lot of Keith top shelf solos on hit singles :D

23. lothianlad

lothianlad Forum Resident

Starr was the right drummer for them, not necessarily in terms of ability though. He was a foundation type drummer that kept good time and allowed them to pile whatever they wanted on top as they grew more confident in the studio. But his personality and look was just right, homely, warm and uncompetitive. That band really couldn't take anything additional that was going to detract from John and Paul.

So George and Ringo had to be the kind of players that would serve the Lennon/McCartney partnership first and foremost. And they did it beautifully.

24. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

A thousand things needed to happen to make the Beatles The Beatles....maybe 100,000. George and Ringo are pretty damned high on the list.
    Just listen to Please Please Me without Ringo--it's a bloody mess.

51IS, notesfrom, frightwigwam and 3 others like this.
  25. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, it's possible John and Paul could have been "pretty successful" with 2 other guys, but I think it's fair to say with George and Ringo The Beatles got way beyond being pretty successful. Case closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.