Beatles without Ringo and George

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flaxton, May 13, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Good points. George was the only one who wasn't from a broken family.

blutiga likes this.
  2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Here's a scenario:

George quits the Beatles after the Decca sessions, Pete stays on. Ringo never joins.

Epstein gets them signed to Parlophone anyway. They pick up a Liverpool guitar player or bassist (Paul moves to guitar). They still have a crappy drummer, and we don't know how the new guitarist will fit in. But they have a recording contract, and songs like 'Love Me Do'.

What are the odds that they become the greatest band of all time?

3. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Yeah, we'll never know, and that's alright. I feel fortunate to have lived in a time when these guys were not only making the best music in the world, but changing the face of music forever. I'm glad it was John, Paul, George and Ringo and will quit speculating on what may or may not have been.
    Thank you Beatles!!

Fabsmith likes this.
  4. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

They were still "destined", and Ringo was separately "destined for greatness", so would've become famous some other route if George wasn't there to tip the scales for sacking Pete.

I think they might have gotten another top draft pick on lead guitar from another Liverpool group, or even from The Dakotas, if they'd still got a recording deal, that's what got Ringo to leg it from Butlin's and Rory & Hurricanes after all.

Paulwalrus and notesfrom like this.
  5. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

It was released the month following the release of the hugely successful Get Back where the B side, Don't Let Me Down, also charted.

Trader Joe likes this.
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

They probably would have been able to muster up some success with George Martin at the helm. But I think they would have ended up writing a different set of post 1962 songs. The removal of daily interactions with George and Ringo would have changed the trajectory of their lives, thoughts, and career.

7. Kerm

Kerm Forum Resident

37%

8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Right, they go down (ostensibly, if there were even 'high' as 1962 was ending).

Whatever we think of the Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and Toto - without them, who knows where Dorothy and the Scarecrow end up.

9. Kerm

Kerm Forum Resident

Well I just think that's a basic tenet of changing history. Maybe 37% is low. But it's higher odds than I would have given the original four members at the time. So it's actually pretty high! I mean, in the grand scheme of things you give me those two writing songs, with a record deal in place, and I have a pretty decent feeling they do well. Greatest band ever? Who knows. I guess I'd have to consider them the greatest band ever in the first place, even as is. I don't know that I do.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  10. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

But Martin would still reject Best and Lennon and McCartney didn't want him, so they would still reach out to Ringo. Not sure if George would quit since Epstein booked another tour of Hamburg in April 1962.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Martin said he didn't want Best on the recordings, not out of the group.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  12. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Right, but Lennon and McCartney wanted him out. Not sure how these circumstances change that.

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

For the premise of this thread (a Beatles world without George and Ringo) we are trying to move away from George wanting to stay in the band, and Ringo being in the band at all. The question is what happens if they’re not around.

edrebber likes this.
  14. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Dare I say it, John & Paul might write new songs, or the same ones with different titles & lyrics. But that could be a new thread altogether.

15. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Right, so then they would be hard pressed to find another drummer.

16. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

The greatest example of confirmed Plagiarism of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.