Beats by Dr. Dre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by NiceMrMustard, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Agreed. Just because it’s always been done this way doesn’t mean it’s right. That thinking is a big part of why this world has the problems it has.

John Bliss, sunspot42 and Slimwhit33 like this.
  2. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Thanks. Although my B&O H6 headphones also require lots of power to sound their best. As opposed to, say, Grado headphones. Those are much more sensitive. Soundwise, though, does vintage tend to be more muddled in the mids? Is that where modern headphones have made the most advancement?

3. brock

brock Forum Resident

Just a quick :+1: for all the (relatively) positive comments above for the wireless Beats X. I arrived at mine after repeated frustrations with several different wireless alternatives, mostly re: connection quality and general ease of use.

The BeatsX don’t really have the Beats by Dre sound profile that we’re all rightly complaining about here. They’re “warm” but not muddy/bass-bloated. And, while they’re not going to blow anybody away on the sound quality front, they’re more than good enough for listening on the go.

Plus, they’re ridiculously easy to pair, with Apple products at least. They hold a charge forever, and can be recharged in just a few minutes. They’re comfortable, and maybe best of all, they have a magnetic thingy in the buds themselves that turn them into, essentially, a light weight audio necklace. I literally wear mine all day long, so I can pop them whenever, without a lot of fuss. I hardly know they’re there.

The way I look at it, these are the first Beats that have Apple’s fingerprints on them, and they’re much better for it.

BayouTiger, MartyTem, arem and 3 others like this.
  4. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

My experience is three different models requiring a return to Apple for service within a one year period (I have theee sons who wanted Beats).

The stuff is junk.

5. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I like the Monster branded stuff minus the Beats or Dre involvement. I have a pair of N-Tune headphones I use often and I like them.

6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I use the Sennheiser HD598SE as my primary listening cans and have been overall happy with them. I had Audio Technica ATH-M50S before that and while those are also good, they are not quite as comfortable as the Sennheisers and are closed-back as opposed to the Sennheisers that are open-back. Those Sennheisers I have also sound good without a headphone amp on my Fiio X1 and X3.

vegafleet likes this.
  7. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

Hate these cookie cutter beats by dre ********s. Every joe in the gym has them 'slung' over his neck these days, just for the trend and look. I'm on the verge of going on a spree and just snagging any pair I see and throwing them as far as I can.

I'm not a headphone guy but I know there is much better for the money. And even if there weren't... At the risk of being an extreme cookie cutter, I would never consider a pair.

tin ears and juno6000 like this.
  8. You are spot on. I wonder however what she copared them too. I have a pair and also a pair of Senn 650s. The beats sound horrible in comparison to the Senns. The Beats were bought for me by my wife and when i realised how awful they sound , my kids took them over for gaming. Thanks to this forum i bought the Senns.

9. juno6000

juno6000 Forum Resident

Thanks for making me spit tea out of my nose! Lol! I agree with you sentiments. If there are a rash of gym rats strangled with their beats cables I will merely laugh. Lol too funny!

jkull likes this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I use Jlab Neon wireless headphones (almost over ear). Package says 13 hours of life and I use them all day at work and they have never died. Charge them in the morning while I eat breakfast and shower then jam them all day. Sound great also. 35 bucks or so at “ahem” Walmart.
    The bass is unreal on these things.

11. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

For someone who wants a good looking/stylish headphone with great sound and decent portability there are plenty of options other than Beats that aren't big and clunky phones meant for home use. M50x isn't great sounding but it's a good bang-for-the-buck portable in its price range. Probably better is the AKG K553, though not quite as portable. The best portable headphones sell for around the same price as Beats but sound much better. Oppo PM3 (though sadly discontinued), B&W P7, Sennheiser Momentum and, the one I own, the Bang & Olufsen H6 (Gen 2), which is neat sounding and looks GREAT and very portable. Better looking than Beats imo, and way better sounding. They used to be a bit pricey at $400, but at that price they were still liked. Fortunately, they are now at a more reasonable price anywhere between $200 - $300. I got mine from the B&O store for $250, an impulse by as I was amazed when I tried them on.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    displayname likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I can't believe anybody would wear cans if they were after "portability". Get a pair of high-end buds, people.

displayname and rodentdog like this.
  13. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

But then nobody would be able to identify the tiny logo stamped on the earbuds and therefore they can't be suitably impressed, unless they lean very close to that person ears and it may be a bit awkward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.