Beavis and Butthead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by R79, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

when is the king of the hill reboot coming

EVOLVIST and DHamilton like this.
  2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Loved the original show and movie and liked the 2011 season and will checkout anything else they do. But those original episodes are great. Have them all with the videos and watched a bunch last year. I hope I never reach the maturity level where I don't find them funny.

Riktator, 905, vamborules and 8 others like this.
  3. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

As a music fan, the best part of the music video riffing was just how eclectic it got. They showed newer videos of course, but they also showed older stuff and extremely obscure stuff (old and new) that you never even knew existed.

4. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

B&B was an interesting preview of what was to come from Judge; Idiocracy the masterpiece festering.

5. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I loved the original series and the movie as well. Beavis and Butthead might have seemed like lowest common denominator entertainment on the surface but it really was a well-written and paced show where the animated segments and the video commentaries fit together perfectly. That's why we are still talking about almost 30 years later.

altaeria, LouChang, Jmac1979 and 8 others like this.
  6. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I had been avoiding the show when it first aired since it was obviously stupid and had lots of crude humor, then I watched a few episodes and found out that it had some really clever humor and great writing. When writers aren't obligated to treat their characters as humans, that opens up a lot of possibilities kind of like what happened to Wilie E. Coyote over and over. Many episodes had a twist at the end that I didn't expect.

I liked the reboot especially the Twilight episode.

vamborules and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Like the Frank Zappa music video. "This thing is still on???"

LouChang likes this.
  8. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Never saw the films, but generally liked watching short bits of the show.

9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

When I was working in radio I used to use the B&B theme as bumper music. I love that music!

LouChang, 905 and rockclassics like this.
  10. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

By 2011, MTV no longer had music videos for them to watch. Which explains why I've watched no MTV in a very long time.

12. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

No one was watching MTV for the videos anyway.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. When MTV is no longer showing music videos, how is one supposed to watch music videos on MTV?

14. Roland Stoves

Roland Stoves 3.9% Neanderthal

"Cher's cool. She was married to that Bono dude in U2."

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Jmac1979, 905, Jimmy B. and 4 others like this.
  15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

They were watching The video for Black Sabbath Paranoid”Whoa look at the Paul Shaffer dude on the wall”
    It was goofy because you might have known people like B & B back in the day.
    Uh Huh Huh huh Ha Taco Supreme....

altaeria and DHamilton like this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

He said "reboot."

H'he...yeah. H'he.

DHamilton and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

When there were music videos on MTV, no one was watching them. MTV's ratings were sinking every year because record labels were no longer spending the money to make videos that people wanted to watch more than once or twice. MTV was sick of being entirely dependent on the record industry for their content so they began making their own. That was a wise move because it saved the network and made it profitable again. Now with the Internet the idea of millions of people watching music videos on a cable network is laughable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The 2011 reboot had music videos; it’s just that the TV-watching segments were no longer exclusively music videos:

See also: https://youtu.be/hQXodp3fDMo

JuanTCB, Grand_Ennui and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. MikeInFla

Makes sense. When MTV Classic debuted (whatever it used to be VH1 Classic or something) I was pretty excited about seeing some music videos again. For about 10 minutes. It's buried on channel 188 and isn't HD. When I watched it there were too many commercials, it wasn't HD and I could watch whatever videos I wanted on YouTube.

DHamilton, Scowl and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

If you watch hundreds of the videos from the 80's on YouTube (I had lots of extra time during lockdown) you can easily see the trend. Until around 1984 lots of videos had scripts resembling stories and plots with actors doing things that kept viewers interested.

The recording industry hit a recession in 1985 and the first thing they cut was promotions. Suddenly almost all of the bands were doing cheaper stylized performance videos which was really just the artists singing into panning cameras on weird sets with dramatic lighting. Did you really want to watch a band perform a song over and over? Very few people did. You can also see a trend for cute and cheap CGI that was probably done on an Amiga.

The videos did improve in the late 80's but by then MTV's ratings had already dropped to where the network had to do something to stay alive and their main objective was to stop relying on the record labels for content.

21. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

[​IMG]
    [Riker (Butthead) and Picard (Beavis)]

Doug

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Absolutely do not care for it. That said, Mike Judge deserves all the praise he's gotten for it, he's really clever, and he's brought us some great social commentary we might not have gotten otherwise.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Image in my previous post was nullified. Here's a similar one that hopefully sticks:

[​IMG]

Doug

altaeria and Panama Hotel like this.
  24. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

25. MikeInFla

The hit 1990s MTV animated characters Beavis and Butt-Head will be returning this year with a new movie "and more" on the Paramount+ streaming service.

The news was broken by the show's creator Matt Judge in a tweet that he posted on Tuesday (January 4th) night. He shared a photo of middle-aged versions of the characters and said:

"Beavis and Butt-Head will be returning this year with a brand new movie and more on Paramount+. No exact date yet, but soon. They need some time to get back in shape."

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.