Beck - "Colors", new album in October 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

It's strange though, I had been playing lots of Beck over the past few years at home, and none it really connected with anyone other than me until Morning Phase was released. From the very first play, my wife and my youngest daughter (and several of her friends) all really liked it. My daughter got the vinyl version and my wife had a CD in her car.

So, ultimately it didn't shock me when the album was nominated for and ultimately won the Grammy... it seems that Beck connected with people with that release. For long time fans though, it likely seemed odd because he had been doing great stuff for years.

Dodoz, DrBeatle and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. I thought it was his best work by a huge margin. But I could see that the lack of faster tunes might have been an issue if expectations were for something with more pop smarts.

Revolver and tmtomh like this.
  3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I had no issue with that...Sea Change is probably my favorite album of his. It just didn't have that emotional and musical WOW factor for me that I guess it did for many others. I still like it, though.

Exactly.

4. Morning is a beautiful personal album without any trappings of retro reinvention or what is hip.

I love Beck because he continually changes it up and each album is great.

IanL, tmtomh and Revolver like this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think he once said he had enough material for a noise album. Where is it?

6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

We need a live Beck album, something that goes way back to the early stuff, and all over the place.
    But first a solid studio rock (ala Beck: funk/folk/whatever rock) effort would be nice.

7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is Midnite Vultures suitable for a high quality vinyl re-issue? I'm not clear whether it was recorded on tape or digital. I know that would be a factor for many of the better labels.

8. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Was thinking about this and it would not really work for Beck. Unless he was going to stop making his more acoustic or more visceral work....it might work if Beck was all Odelay, Midnight Vultures and Guero but he is also Mutations, Sea Change and Morning Phase. Would be tough to pull singles from the latter albums.

9. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Me too. Stereopathetic Soulmanure and One Foot In The Grave are two of my favorites, but I'd love to see his earlier, hard to find stuff reissued. After his folkish material, I like his mixed up hip hop-inspired albums best. The last two or three albums have done nothing for me.

ubiknik and Daniel Plainview like this.
  10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, Mutations is my favorite and that one didn't offer much in the way of "pop smarts" either, though there was at least a little bit more variation of pace and tone. I really wanted Morning Phase to recapture that kind of feel, but somehow it just puts me to sleep, very detached and uninvolving to me. Ah well, obviously lots of fans responded to it, so different strokes and all that.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    DrBeatle likes this.
  11. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

It looks like the new album is still untitled but will be out October 21st on Capitol Records.

DrBeatle and Naughty Chord like this.
  12. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

where did you find that out?

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Heartland Feeling" is one of his best songs. We need "Golden Feelings" on vinyl!

Furthermore, I would pay cash money for a boxed set of b-sides and pre-fame cassette tape tomfoolery.

I want a 'Mutations' 20th Anniversary edition with second disc of b-sides and outtakes. I love my "Cold Brains" maxi-single. Some of those b-sides are better than the album tracks.

DrBeatle, ubiknik and jason202 like this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I was referring to his future albums.

15. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

First M.I.A drops a new music video, now Beck releases what might be the best single of 2016 and tomorrow The Strokes will release their new EP.

What a awesome week! :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  16. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Obviously. What I am saying is that he would need to stylistically not make music like the songs on Morning Phase in order to just be a singles artist.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

18. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

I think there are two types of Beck lovers. The high energy dance fans. And the sad, depressing music fans. Myself, I'm of the second group. Give me Sea Change and Morning Phase all day long. The rest, eh. With that said, HOLY CRAP, Beck, will you just reissue Sea Change on vinyl again! We've all been clamoring for it for a zillion years now. It's like he just doesn't WANT the money. ;)

tmtomh and pghmusiclover like this.
  19. gregorya

Song available for download in lossy and lossless formats:

Beck.com »

Dino likes this.
  20. gregorya

Well, that's somewhat true, although I like sad, depressing dance music too! :)

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  21. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I enjoy both. :)

Nathan Aaron, matt79rome89 and Mazzy like this.
  22. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I bought Golden Feelings from Sonic Enemy by mail order for $2, and that included shipping. I wish I would have bought 100 of them :)

23. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not really liking 'Wow', in fact I find it somewhat annoying. 'Dreams' didn't do much for me either.

24. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

I picked up the CD release from Parasol when it -- briefly! -- came out in 1999. My memory is that Parasol had about half the pressing available to them for mailorder. I see it get called a bootleg, but I'm not sure that I quite agree. Even if Beck (apparently) asked that sales cease, it was put out by the same label that had released the original cassette.

Back on topic, I'm with Groovy on "Wow"...not doing it for me. The pre-release hype made it sound -- to me, at least -- like it was going to be fun/crazy, but it's kind of a snooze IMO.

25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I don't really like "Wow" either, but you've gotta hand it to the guy - it's a really unusual track and very creative. He never fails to surprise, and he's among the best at doing whatever style he takes on (or invents!).

J_D__ and rstamberg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.