Beck - "Colors", new album in October 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Don't really like it...

2. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Thanks for the warning

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  3. Fun song. Has a bit of Super Furry Animals sound

4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

It sounds like a mixture of MGMT and Santigold.

5. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Won tickets to see Beck in London on Sat, woo! I probably saw him around 13 years ago live.

jfeldt likes this.
  6. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Anyone heard this version of Got No Mind on the Beercan single? It's seriously good! Love it.

cwitt1980, ubiknik and rstamberg like this.
  7. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Oh yeah! Those Mellow Gold-era singles are a treasured part of my collection. The US version of the "Loser" CD single is especially good.

ODShowtime, theshape and rstamberg like this.
  8. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident Thread Starter

spillred, Naughty Chord and Binni like this.
  9. Groovy

I just picked up last month's Q magazine and it discusses three tracks from the new album. As I haven't seen them mentioned previously, here's what they say:

"Beck - 'Dear Life'. Whereas 2014's 'Morning Phase' may have been filled with acoustic melancholia, Beck's forthcoming album is upbeat pop. 'Dear Life' is the exception, with lush Beatles-like psychedelia spiked with an existential cry-for-help as a lyric."

They also mention the "euphoria" of 'Up All Night' and the "pulsating" '7th Heaven' "which gleams like a lost '80'spop classic".

Apparently 'Dreams' and 'Wow' are on the album - which, for me, is disappointing. Hopefully those are the low points.

whisper3978 and DrBeatle like this.
  10. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I didn't care for "Wow" but I really like "Dreams." As always, very excited for a new Beck album!

FJFP likes this.
  11. Groovy

Here's the new video for 'Wow'. It does help me like the song a little more.

12. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Are Defriended and It Wont Be Long also included? Those were very good

13. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Is that YOU, Brick?

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I liked it. Go New Mexico! (ehere it looks like the horse stuff was shot).

It’s amazing to me how Old School ol’ Beck now seems. When he was a young-in’ he seemed like some kind of post-human prodigy from the mash-up future. Now he seems like a superannuated hipster who’s managed to keep his boyish figure and 20th-century ghetto smashmouth in tip-top shape.

And furthermore his albums (at least from Sea Change on) always *sound* gorgeous.

JL6161, J_D__ and rainspainplain like this.
  15. Groovy

They were excellent, as was 'Gimmie', but I don't think they'll be on the new album. They're 3 years old and we already have them. In addition to 'Wow' and 'Dreams', I'm hoping for at least 8 brand new tracks.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This is pretty much exactly where I fall on those three.

17. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Hm. Interesting. I have never lumped Mutations in with the other two. IMO it stands alone in his catalog. It's my second favorite after Midnite Vultures

18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The other two are closer in style to one another, so I could see thinking of Mutations as a different type of album. Midnite Vultures is my favorite as well, but the run of albums from Odelay through Sea Change is really strong overall and Guero is just a little bit of a step down from those. I'm looking forward to another turn toward upbeat stuff, and glad that he keeps changing things up.

19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

When can we expect to see a preorder?

20. Groovy

I'm beginning to think that the name of this new album is actually 'TBD'.

Hopefully, where the vinyl is concerned, it won't stand for Two Bad Discs.

21. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Wow, the new song is even worse than "Wow." Like he took Kanye's criticism of Morning Phase's Grammy win and way overcompensated.

22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

People have been saying that for many years now. There is truth in the statement, obviously, but as low as CD and LP sales may be these days, that's where Beck will stand to make a few bucks. And then touring behind the album, assuming that he wants to play some new material. Is it possible to tour behind a single after a few years of silence? Does Beck issue Hit Singles anymore? Is a guy his age completely dependent on his past work when performing live these days... is Greatest Hits the only game in town?

It's not my world anymore.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  23. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

I have no problem with this. Let him get his pop mojo rocks off. He'll continue to surprise and delight further down the road.

24. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I like "Wow". Speaking as someone who hasn't had much interest in Beck since his 90s heyday. It has an Odelay vibe to it.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My shallow, insufferably knowing instant rush-to-judgement positive reaction is more valid than your shallow, insufferably knowing instant rush-to-judgement negative reaction.

:agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.