Beck Odelay Deluxe Edition (hopefully) coming April 4, 2007

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laservampire, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing Thread Starter

3/4 down the list HERE

One month and a bit to go, it's time to start speculating on the contents so we can be suitably disappointed when it's released :D

I can't wait! :goodie: Beck's B-Sides are as good as his album tracks!

Apparently the Odelay Deluxe will likely contain a version of 'Debra' (from Midnite Vultures) recorded for the Odelay sessions... :love:

2. eyeofnone

eyeofnone New Member

I believe "Electric Music and the Summer People" was an Odelay B-Side. That's my second favorite B-Side of his, next to "This Is My Crew."

3. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I even like the remixes from O-de-lay.
    Devil's Haircut had two different Dust Brothers remixes, plus one by Noel Gallagher and another one by Aphex Twin, and a hardcore punk rock version by Mario P... Brilliant stuff!
    Where it's At had some old-school-hip-hop remixes by the Dust, and a long trip-hop treatment by UNKLE
    New Pollution had a good remix too. Let's hope they all end up on the deluxe edition.

4. BigDave

BigDave Forum Resident

Re: Beck Odelay Deluxe Edition (hopefully) coming June 20, 2006

Did this ever come out? One of my favorite albums of all time, loved it in high school.

5. ivor

ivor Senior Member

No, but I think they're still working on it because Beck mentioned it in a recent interview. Hopefully it shows up with some unreleased stuff on the second disc... I hate it when Deluxe Editions just include b-sides.

6. BigDave

BigDave Forum Resident

I asked my brother about it, he works for Universal, and he said he did not recall seeing it on any of the upcoming release lists. Hopefully it still comes out per the interview you mentioned.

7. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

There were two different versions of EMATSP. The best one, IMHO, is the remake made during the "Mutations" sessions.

Beck does indeed have a lot of great b-sides out there. The problem is there are tons, and the singles often have songs repeated from other singles, which makes it extremely difficult for a fan to get a comprehensive collection.

8. Laservampire

I agree with you on EMATSP, the Mutations version is much better without the terrible harmony vocal the original version has :righton:

At least in the US there is a chance of collecting Beck B-Sides, in Australia I have found 3 second hand Beck singles over the course of 4 years! :realmad:

Luckily for collectors, there is a complete Beck Discography at this site:
    http://donwest.org/diskolito/index.php

And for song information, go here:
    http://www.whiskeyclone.net/ghost/

(After looking through these sites, I'm not sure whether I'd rather collect rare Beck tracks or Monkees mix variations :sigh: )

9. The Keymaster

:laugh: Yeah, really.

10. Laservampire

Well, almost a year later and it's coming! Release date looks like April 4th, 2007!

No tracklisting yet but here is a link to the Deluxe Odelay on HMV Japan.

But that's not all.....

Beck - Singles 1994-2006 - 18 Disc singles box set!!

:goodie:

The only B-Side that should have been included is "Electric Music And The Summer People (1998 Version)" which was on the "Cold Brains" US promo or Australian retail singles, and is also available on the "Stray Blues - B-Sides" collection from Japan, which turns up on eBay quite often.

It would have been nice to have the "Steve Threw Up" and "It's All In Your Mind" singles too, but they weren't on Geffen/DGC.

All I can say is: ROLL ON APRIL! :goodie:

11. The Keymaster

It's also missing "This Is My Crew"...one of my favorites, of course.

In fact, that and the remake of "Electric Music..." are probably my two favorite b-sides, so of course they're not here.

I'd be excited if the box was complete, as Beck's non-album tracks are a pain to collect.

12. Laservampire

I didn't even notice that "This Is My Crew" was missing, guess I'll have to grab a copy of the single too.

13. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

The song .000.000 is one of the coolest Beck songs I've ever heard. I think it comes from the "lost LP" sessions from before "Odelay", and it wound up as a b-side. I wonder if the "lost LP" tracks will be included on the deluxe edition, or only tracks done with the Dust Brothers...

14. Laservampire

I've never really listened to that song much but I just gave it a listen and it's great!

A lot of the 1995 "lost LP" sessions have turned up on B-sides (and 2 on Odelay):

- Electric Music And The Summer People (1995 Version)
    - Lemonade
    - Thunder Peel (1995 Version)
    - Feather In Your Cap
    - Brother
    - Erase The Sun
    - Minus (on Odelay)
    - Ramshackle (on Odelay)

15. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

...all really great tracks too...would have been the perfect bridge between Mellow Gold and Odelay.

16. Laservampire

Indeed! :agree:

I can't wait to get my hands on a decent sounding copy of "Thunder Peel (1995 Version)". Every single mp3 of this in circulation sounds awful... :cry:

17. ivor

ivor Senior Member

Hm... I already have most of the singles I want. Oh well, it should make it easier to pick up the ******* single off ebay... or maybe its tracks will just be on the deluxe edition.

You guys are right about 000.000, it's great. Were there any other tracks from the "lost" album?

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

19. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Anyone know if this is out yet?

20. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Never got around to grabbing Beck's stuff... maybe I found a place to start.

21. Laservampire

Odelay is a great place to start with Beck :righton:

As for the release dates, Amazon and CD Universe both say April 10th at the moment.

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

CD Japan says the ODELAY Special Edition has been cancelled.

The singles box is now scheduled for May 23 in Japan.

Just got a Japanese DVD called "1st AND HOPE." It's a skateboarding movie with all music by Beck. Haven't played it yet ... anyone know about this one?

23. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Well... maybe the singles box is a good place for me to start then... :)

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

bump?

25. BooYaa!

BooYaa! New Member

So was this delayed indefinitely?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.