Bee Gees CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vivaldinization, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Re: Re: Bee Gees CDs

Try this:

http://www.chaosmusic.com/shop/product.asp?productID=314606

You'll need to email them about international shipping.

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Re: Re: Bee Gees CDs

I don't have BOB, so I can't compare. Barring some major tape discoveries in Australia, I'd be amazed if we'll ever get much better than BFB -- I'd say B- overall. It certainly sounds better than any US issue of the same material, which is really all I have for comparison.

The catalog number of BFB is Spin/Festival D 46066. It was issued in 1998; I was able to find it in a well-stocked indie CD shop here in the States and reviewed it for Goldmine magazine May 7, 1999. It seems still to be in print, and available from the usual (USA) online sources. Checking one at random, it says "Usually ships in 1-2 days," so I guess it's not too hard to get. It's also still on the Festival Mushroom Records website, so that's another sign that it's still available.

According to what I've read, the acetate(s) with the four released TV show performances were found at a yard sale in Australia in the early 1980s! There was a fifth song on the acetate, "Abilene" (the George Hamilton IV hit), but there wasn't enough room on the CDs to add it. The CDs are already jam-packed with music to the tune of about 79 minutes each. At least two more songs were discovered on an acetate last year, "Another Tear Falls" (based on the Walker Brothers' version) and "If I Needed Someone" (a Beatles song). And one song that the Gibbs wrote, "All the King's Horses," which ended up being recorded by Ronnie Burns, another Australian performer, presumably existed in a Bee Gees version at one time, as it was recorded at the same time as the other later Gibb tracks (the "unreleased third album," all of which ended up being given to other Aussie performers when the Gibbs left for England).

Interesting stuff on Ossie Byrne's studio, Cousin It. If you have BFB, you'll know that there are a few mysterious tracks where members of the Bee Gees are singing to orchestral and choral backgrounds ("Somewhere" from West Side Story, "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You," "I Love You Because," et al.) Maurice Gibb revealed last year that the guys found dubs of the orchestral backgrounds, which had been used for another project in Byrne's studio, and simply sang lead over top of them -- kind of prehistoric karaoke!

And finally, this has proven true in both the USA and England: Long-lost tapes have reappeared with regularity in the 20 years since the CD was first introduced. They get misfiled, or the librarians don't know where to look, or they end up in places no one expects them to be. Master tapes have been found in odd places. too, such as closets (the Beach Boys' Hite Morgan sessions, for example), possibly even the trash (the supposed fate of the Who's Next session tapes, which were fished from the garbage by a bootlegger -- or so the story goes, anyway).

3. N25060s

N25060s Member

Thanks again, Tim and Peter for your trouble in giving me exactly what I need to get it. With the possible sound quality improvements and extra tracks, I'd say it's worth it. Wow! only $7.14US at Chaos Music! I will ask about shipping, though.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.