Bee Gees: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LouieG, Sep 5, 2019.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

We're talking about brothers who (when they weren't at each others throats or even when they were) had their own form of musical telepathy.

"I'm working on a new song but I'm stuck; here are some lyrics or let me hum a few bars, etc." Change a word, get a third.

keyXVII and Jarleboy like this.
  2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Saved By The Bell" really should've been four discs. Hate to think the omitted material will *never* be heard.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident Thread Starter

In general, after Children of the World, Barry sort of formed his own production team outside The Bee Gees banner with Albhy Galuten and Karl Richardson (Andy Gibb's albums, Guilty, Heartbreaker, Eyes That See In The Dark, Eaten Alive) while Robin and Maurice worked together on Robin's solo albums. Since they did work together at some points between 1980 and 1986, the song writing credits varied depending on who was around.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    keyXVII, Majk, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Listened to Robin's How Old Are You? album all the way through for the first time yesterday.

I was familiar with Juliet and Another Lonely Night In New York as well as the title track, but not the rest of the album.

Despite being firmly entrenched in an 80s production style (which I normally loathe), I actually found myself quite enjoying the album and some of the songs I'd never heard before.

One the highlights of the album for me was Don't Stop The Night:

peachyg72, Jarleboy and JeffMo like this.
  5. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

they mostly are, Spicks and Specks and One seem to have disappeared from the U.S store recently

JeffMo likes this.
  6. Hadean75

I remember reading around the time of Living Eyes that the production arrangements caused quite a bit of friction as Robin and Maurice wanted to have more active roles in terms of production and vocal contributions while Barry wanted to stick with the Galuten/Richardson format. Hence some of the big changes in terms of personnel and sound on Living Eyes (an underrated gem imho lol). (Gibb Songs : 1981 )

It was said by the time the brothers reunited for E.S.P. each brother had developed such different production styles that heated arguments broke out frequently (halting recording), and that they eventually had to come to a compromise in terms of production styles to move forward with the album. (Gibb Songs : 1987 )

keyXVII, Jarleboy and pokemaniacjunk like this.
  7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

There's also a stunning outtake from this album called "Love Is Just A Calling Card" (easily found on YouTube).

Hadean75 likes this.
  8. Hadean75

Thanks! I just looked it up. Interesting song with song some lovely harmonies sprinkled throughout. :agree:

9. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Not counting my original 60s LPs, I bought the 67-68 box ... then the Odessa deluxe set. I also bought the reissue of Greatest (probably a mistake, as I have an original CD). I also have Tales From The Brothers Gibb, the two Best Ofs, and the dreadful-sounding The Record. In other words, enough comps!

Is there a solid reason to hunt down and probably overpay for the 74-79 box?

What I cannot understand is why no one will do the years in between. If Capitol or whoever has the rights doesn't want to, I am sure there are still several companies that do! Are these albums available as downloads in good sound quality?

10. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

I doubt Capitol/UMG will sublicence anything. At this point I think they'd rather sit on it and rely on streaming and digital sales than doing anything noteworthy with it.

11. Hadean75

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

keyXVII, Hadean75 and Jarleboy like this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Gave LE a listen on headphones just last night!

siveld, Hadean75 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  14. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

I am of the opinion they bought it to cash in on the SNF/Grammy event and that is all they will ever do and all Barry at this point is satisfied with.

Hadean75 likes this.
  15. Hadean75

Ran across this yesterday. Interesting analyses/interpretation of Bee Gees To Love Somebody from 1974 concert and other things:

keyXVII and Rick Bartlett like this.
  16. Rick Bartlett

Ah yes, 'Wings Of Pegasus'
    He does a wonderful job and goes into intense detail.
    Also mentioned and noted in this thread:
    The Tielman Brothers featured on Wings of Pegasus.

keyXVII and Hadean75 like this.
  17. Hadean75

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

He is great, and he analyzes artists of all styles and he does his research.
    Being a musician and guitar teacher himself, he comes from a place of other understanding as well.
    Pretty amazing to see a guy like this tackle artists and have no 'bias' either way.
    I highly recommend anybody to check out his channel, you'll find an analysis on someone you love.

keyXVII, Hadean75 and Jarleboy like this.
  19. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

He's grossly incorrect about the details regarding Saturday Night Fever.

20. Hadean75

Bee Gees - Larry King Weekend - Feb 2, 2002

21. Hadean75

BEE GEES Michael Parkinson Show

22. Hadean75

The Bee Gees on Parkinson (UK) 2001

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. JUAN CRISTOBAL

JUAN CRISTOBAL Forum Resident

Jarleboy and Hadean75 like this.
  24. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wonder how many weeks it would log today with the current chart methodology....it's like $100 in 1977 would be worth $424.66 in 2019......so 17 weeks would be 72 weeks today!

JUAN CRISTOBAL and Jarleboy like this.
  25. JUAN CRISTOBAL

JUAN CRISTOBAL Forum Resident

Quite right. The record of 17 weeks in a row stood for many years up to 1992. End of the Road By Boyz // Men broke the record held since the hot 100 started in 1958